1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland vote to break away from Uk rule.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 21 Aug 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what i read it seems to be the same eligibility criteria as those of a general election though (except the age), isn't it ? I mean, isn't the only criteria for voting in a general election to be resident in the country.

2. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Only YouGov, most polls show a noticeable lead with No but Yes has gained traction. Honestly at this point I've got a feeling Salmond and the SNP actually want Devo Max and expect a No but the results close enough for Westminster to now offer Devo Max. Cynical but compared to Westminster it looks very clean.

Actually if you took Scotland out of the results of the last elections throughout the last few decades then there would be no difference. Though for the current coalition it would be a massive political cockup and the Conservatives would be branded as "the party who made Scotland leave" (though obviously more to do with the last few decades of UK Governments only giving a **** about London and SE) which would look humiliating.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

EU citizens cannot vote in a UK General Election as they are not British Citizens. Likewise I couldn't move to say, Germany, and elect their Government. If we could we could move 6 million people to Finland and elect a party that wants it to become a part of the UK, we would essentially invade by ballot.

Further to this
    The Scottish Government's view is a bit odd, expats can't vote and yet:
    So Scots not living in Scotland at the time of the referendum cannot vote and yet if there is a 'yes' vote they automatically become Scottish citizens. So, not Scottish enough to be allowed to vote and yet Scottish enough to automatically be considered a Scottish citizen.

I'd hope if my future nationality was up for possible change I would at least have a say in the matter.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2014
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's odd, I/we are always told on TV that up north is mainly Labour voters and down south mainly Conservative.

Going on what it says here EU citizens can vote in a general election if they are living in the UK.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

In my opinion (note: opinion), I think DevoMax is what Scotland should take. It gives more power over taxation, spending and all that nice other stuff, whilst avoiding the expensive nasty mess that is independence.

Yes, Scotland is a nation...but it always has been. In my mind the UK is made up of four distinct countries that are increasingly allowed to govern their own affairs independent of Westminster. I'm all for that, I just think that acting together in some things has huge benefits for all.

The UK was brought together by James I. A Scot. It wasn't an English invasion or anything of the like, but a Scot taking the throne of England & Wales. Yes, the 1707 union moved things along a bit further, but really, it was inevitable.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Cei, devo max might be a good solution, but it isn't an option in the referendum. Apparently George Osborne is to reveal plans for further devolution in the event of a no vote, but you could be forgiven for being a little sceptical about promises of jam tomorrow...

James I did unify the Crowns of Scotland and England, but that was over a century before the Act of Union in 1707. Prior to 1707, the two countries were very much separate.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It may also vary between England, Wales, Scotland and NI, cause in Northern Ireland you have to be a Citizen of Britain, Ireland or certain Commonwealth Countries to vote in the general election.
    While EU Citizens are allowed to vote in local + EU elections, but not the UK General Election.

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

It's not an option because Cameron didn't want it to be one, he wanted a simple yes no answer.

It's all going very weird.... I know the daily mail is much hated here, and I'm no fan of it myself (never even looked at it till I saw the vitriol here about it), but it clearly gets circulation, and stories like this do not help the No campain AT ALL : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-plan-new-poll-reveals-vote-knife-edge.html

Slight side issue, but the quote box about footballers signing up for the No campain is wrong - Ally McCoist has publicly stated he leans the other way

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I know it isn't on the table. Mainly because Cameron is a total moron. The vote should be Yes/No/Devo.

I'm well aware of the history of the matter. James I unified the crowns and tried to merge the two governments, running in to resistance due to an English fear of Scottish progressive (in comparison) politics. However, he was the one who created the United Kingdom, it just took a while longer to actually bash heads together and sort out the government to the point of the formal union in 1707. Regardless of this, it's always been the case that Scotland has had its own identity etc.

If independence doesn't happen, I think a large minority of the vote wishing it had will be a powerful driver for change. Westminster will essentially be put on notice - don't give more powers etc. and a future referendum won't work out so well.

EDIT
    As an aside: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29103437

1) RBS will move to England on a Yes vote
    2) Standard Life will move "some" of its operations to England on a Yes vote
    3) A Yes vote is likely to mess up both economies pretty badly

Last edited: 7 Sep 2014
  10. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

1) No surprise there, but that would be incredibly expensive for Westminster too.
    2) They already did a lot of that recently and I believe still had plans to do so anyway
    3) yes it would. For a while.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Untrue.
    Sky have categorically stated there will be no change to the business post result.
    The company is currently investing in an Academy in Livingston at a considerable cost.
    The company already operates in Eire and the UK, as well as branching out into Germany and Italy, so Scotland is not an issue for Sky.

That's not to say other companies see it the same though.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Basically the vote is for those people who reside in Scotland.

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/06/scotland-independence-rio-olympics-sir-craig-reedie

Seems a bit strange when considering that in a lot of sports the UK is treated as multiple countries already any way.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Thats the way it is in Germany too.
    As a non-German, I can vote EU and local (town) elections, but not German national or even Saxon (regional) elections.
    I can however vote in the Dutch national elections. :rolleyes:

Yah about that, does that mean Germany, beeing a federaion of 16 countries, gets to enter 16 national teams in the next EU-cup?
    :D

16. Xir

Xir Modder

On a positive side, might this lead to a direct ferry link between the mainland and Scotland?

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No. Such a route won't become magically viable just because borders changed a bit.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No, if Scotland votes yes we are going to build a wall made of ice, it will guarded by the night's watch to defend against rampaging Scots. :D

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's just the southern Scots that will be rampaging south, to avoid being bum-raped by a bunch of blue-eyed highlanders with bad skin.
    /GoT

In other news, I see the concession fairy has arrived:
    Panicky linky

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder