1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 9 'Threshold' UI leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Sep 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So instead of having a shortcut directly to the companies internal reporting websites that they Dbl click on to get the site they need, instead of that they Dbl click the browser shortcut, click on the bookmarks menu, search through a possibly endless amount of other bookmarks, final they get to the site they need, seems like a very convoluted way just to open a single site.

So instead of having separate shortcuts for each program on the desktop that everyone can see at a glance we now have many folders that all look the same with the inevitable cryptic names, each having to be opened in turn to see if the shortcut they need is in that folder or the next.

If you don't use the program frequently how do you know what to search for ?
    There is only so much room in the quick launch bar, as the picture you posted shows, you seem to be contradicting your self, in once sentence you say use the quick launch bar and then go on to post a picture showing what happens when it's over used. :confused:

So instead of having loads of easy to see icons on the desktop you add tiny versions with no descriptions that need guess work for anyone other than the regular user to find out what they do.

If search is so good why do you need to add shortcuts to the quick launch bar so you can avoid having to search for it ?

And that is the whole point of being able to use or configure an OS to the individuals needs. Personally i have my most used, first used programs in my quick launch, explorer.exe, E-Mail, Pale Moon, Burro client, show desktop. Start menu is for software that may only get used once of twice a month, the desktop is for shortcuts to things like games, accounting documents, reminders, the kind of things that either take exclusive use or most of my attention.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2014
  2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Looks pretty good so far.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I think it really just comes down to personal preference, you like a busy quick launch bar, I prefer desktop shortcuts.

BTW, desktop shortcuts are single click too for me as I have mouse wheel click set to double-click with single press. :D

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or just set Windows to single click in the folder options.

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

No, why would they? MS is a software company, what makes you think they're going to give away one of their biggest money-makers?

MS is finally on a proper release cadence. It'd be like Intel handing out free IVB processors to everyone that bought SB procs.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Only a question of time until they get rid of paying for Windows upgrades and move to a subscription model instead.

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Much better. Might upgrade from 7 yet.

Gonna miss Aero though. Still, that can be amended with or without the help of microsoft. :dremel:

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Was just thinking about the constant rumours of a free upgrade from 8/8.1 to 9 that's all and they did offer a huge discount for win 7 to win 8 to begin with.

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

It still amazes me that at least half of the people in my office still have the default Windows 7 wallpaper!

In the lab I have set up all of the PCs to hide desktop icons to force people to sort their documents, spreadsheets, pictures etc. into the relevant Explorer libraries rather than saving it to the desktop *shudder* and all of the Lab programs are pinned to the taskbar.

In our case the lab PCs are all either 4x 20" widescreens, or 2x 29" Ultra-Widescreens (jealous much?) so taskbar space is not an issue, but the sheer number of documents generated meant the desktops used to be a complete and utter mess of jpegs, pngs, bitmaps, xls, docs, folders, shortcuts etc.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I bet they love being forced to adopt your way of using a PC. :baby:
    Personally i find a slap around the face works wonders when getting people to do what i want, either that or shouting at them until i pass out. :D

11. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

It was part of a wider company "please put stuff in the right place" document control initiative so seemed like a good time to tidy up the complete mess of these shared-use machines!

12. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Yep, microsoft still keeping their style intact (one good OS followed by a bad one) it has been like that since the beegining and I think they do it now just for the giggles

Win95(bad) --> Win98(good) --> Windows Me (damn bad) --> Win Xp (heaven good) --> Windows Vista (bad) --> Win7(gooood) --> Windows 8 (meh) --> Windows 9 (???)

:)

13. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

I always leave an OS to mature before I upgrade, IMHO, Vista SP2 is the best Microsoft OS. I guess a lot of people were burned when they used it pre-sp2.

14. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

As jrs77 said, you have to close/minimise open applications to get at any desktop shortcuts. If the users are already in a browser on another website then dropping back to the desktop to double click on a desktop icon only to reopen the browser again doesn't make sense to me; but then I have structured bookmarks too.

Once again though, tab groups in Firefox would serve the same purpose as desktop or any other types of shortcuts and the user is already in the browser to access them.

You have one windows explorer folder quick linked with all the file based shortcuts you need in there, easily accessible via a single click without having to close down any programs already up on the screen.

You wouldn't have program shortcuts in there because you'd be accessing them super quick from either quick launch or the start menu and search rather than if it's anything like my place of work closing CRM/Mail/Browser/messaging applications to get at the desktop; (shortcuts to the desktop include Win+d or the bar on the right hand of the taskbar.)

Generally if you don't know what a program is called, you know what it looks like and vice-versa. If you know neither you're typically opening the program by double clicking a file.

I could probably quite happily have 30+ icons on there, but I just don't use that many programs. To be honest, I could get by without about a third of those icons and just use search when I need to use them.
    However, I've only in the last few years got into the search mentality (since the release of Windows 8,) and most of these icons are legacy from before that that I keep around because they are comfortable to see there.

I use small icons because I can get more of them on my taskbar without it being huge. Just having icons is not an issue. Most people know a application by sight or by name. Just look at mobile devices to see that iconography is the main way that people recognise their applications and they associate that icon with the name or function of the program.

Because I use them so often that I don't want to hit the win key type the name of the app and press enter. It is quicker for me, if I'm already using the mouse, to just click a shortcut than it is for me to type the app name, even if it's via a partial match.

My partner's parent's much choose the most frustrating least efficient ways to do things on a PC because they know that way to do it. Sometimes using a PC in a particular way is bad for the end user, which is why we should try to point them to ways that will improve their relationship with their computing devices.

I don't really view it as busy, when you look at it it's compartmentalised, with location shortcuts in one group, browsers in another, office in yet another, virtualisation and remote access in still yet another.

Also, back to mobile phones, they can look busy too, especially if the apps area is not structured or people leave their home screens as dumping grounds.

Thank you for pointing out that a screen full of applications causes you to have to either minimise to view your desktop icons or open the desktop folder in explorer. I was getting frustrated with trying to explain why I felt that desktop icons are such a bad idea.

15. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I liked Vista (x64) too and it took quite a while to convince me to move to Win 7. I think that the combination of finding that I could still have a quick launch bar and some semblance of individual task bars for each program process (rather than the ridiculous and inefficient combined buttons,) as well as DX11 support did it for me.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't that what show desktop is for ? Press Win+D, or add the show Desktop icon to the quick launch, or use the Show Desktop space to the right of the clock and it takes you back to the desktop. :confused:

You mean like the picture of that mess of a quick launch you posted, that only you know what some of them are for, versus large icons with descriptions written under them.

So we search for the one with pink borders, or talk to aunty Denise and Windows search knows what program we want ? And when it doesn't we go searching through the Windows file system for the actual program file.

How people use there PC is upto them, but to deride other people because they choose to use there's in a way that you happen to find distasteful is just opening you self up to the same disdain.

You call that taskbar NOT huge ? :hehe: You do know it's twice as high as the default size right.

So you use 28 programs regularly but don't leave them open ?
    Most people would open a program and leave it running if the needed it regularly.

There you go again casting aspersions on the way other people use there PC. Maybe you should take note of the adage of people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, there are probably many people that would say you are the one that is using your PC in a "bad way" and that it is you that needs to improve your relationship with your computing devices.

But hey.. Who am i to judge, I'm not the one deriding people for using desktop shortcuts.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea not single click anymore :duh:
    I guess i kinda got on my high horse because it seemed to me that Assassin8or was saying anyone who used desktop shortcuts was living in the past, or was somehow backwards. :hehe:

Personally i think people should use their own PC in a way that suites them best, instad of looking down on people that choose to do things differently.