1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 20 radiator fans!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenixck, 13 Sep 2014.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Been saving up for two years (including not buying a new motor) for when the next intel-e platform dropped.
    The build will be in a phanteks enthoo primo (which I already have) and will have a custom loop; two 480 and one 240 radiator in push pull (all daisy chained and run off a lamptron cw611).
    This means 1200mm of radior space, and 20 fans in push pull. This might be a ridiculous amount of rad space (thats the point).
    So long story short I need 20 matching fans for a push pull configuration, and don't fancy spending £400 on noctuas. Any suggestions?

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

£400 on noctuas wouldn't be too bad. They make damn fine gear. You try to see if any come up on the market place or eBay, but it'd be hard to get all matching fans that way.

How about calling a sales bod at one of the retailers and see if they'd do you a deal on buying 20 at once?

3. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Does push-pull even offer that much extra performance over a single fan approach?

I've recently sold a 15 x 120mm rad, when I had it I found that I could run 3-4 fans and still get temps in the low 20s with an overclock and stable but higher temps with no fans running at all.

I've also found pull to be most effective on its own subject to there being enough free air on the other side.

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

20 fans, regardless of quality/price will still be noisey as hell surely!?

5. phoenixck

I've got ten noctuas in a current build, undervolted and they aren't to bad. The new rig will be used for game streaming and stuff like ray tracing. Always with a closed back headset because clicky keyboard sounds irritate me anyway.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

With that number of radiators you shouldn't need a lot of fan power (else what's the point of all those radiators?).

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Even with all those rads running fans you will be limited to ambient temperature, you will probably see the same temps using only 10 fans, probably even using only 2 rads

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

noise blockers worth every penny
    [​IMG]

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yup pretty much, I wouldn't bother with push pull either.

10. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I run 3 quad rads in the system in my sig (i7 990X and 3 x 580GTX) and use push fans at the slowest speed they'll run. Because you're over-radded to begin with you'd be spending double the money you need to gain a temperature difference of no more than 1º or 2º at the absolute best.

12. theshadow2001

There's this video from jayztwocents who says that his fans are off on one of his rads until the system comes under load. With your rad setup you probably will not need all the fans even on all of the time.

Its definitely something I would like to do, over rad a system and have a little temperature probe to monitor the water temp and click the fans on as the temperature increases.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The solution is the Aqua Computer Aquaero, cheap? No. worth every penny, yes.

14. theshadow2001

Nice unit, but if I were to do it I think I would take the water temperature as an input to something like an arduino and program a simple control system for the fans. Perhaps a serial or wireless interface (or usb depending on the api) to a small desktop application. I would probably just try and tune it to keep the whole process automated with as little interference as possible.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

They are ace. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

16. phoenixck

Aquaero's are great but I honestly prefer the cw611 I find it easier to play with. The auduino idea might be poached for a test bench I want to do in the future, other half willing and all. On subject if I go down the 10 fan route what fans do I go for? £200 is a rough limit for fans (the 1500 budget has gone already as I keep adding storage...... But that's another story) which means noctua's are out as the redux line don't have static pressure fans.

17. theshadow2001

Corsair sp120s are 20.54 on scan