1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Node 804 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Sep 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

If the Node series cases didn't already look like microwaves, then this one really sorted that out with the window. Put the right hardware in and you may even be able to cook a meal in it.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Why didn't they put the I/O & switches on the same side as the window? :wallbash:

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I guess it is to do with cable management, if you put the cables leading to I/O and switch in the same half of the cube as the window the cables are more visible, as opposed to how it is where they mostly run through the other half that doesn't have a window.

But yes, it is kind of stupid because you can't really put the right side of the case against a wall or desk without leaving a big gap.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

you're probably right, but a bit of stealthy cable routing and a nice clean conduit/cover could have solved for that.

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Product design fail 101 - well spotted. I thought the same about the position of the ports and optical drive on the EVGA Hadron.

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I was thinking it looked like a mini fridge myself, my old flat mate used to have one with a window in the front and it looked almost exactly like this from the outside... :-/

8. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yes you did. I merely highlighted the error for those who don't have the reading. :thumb:

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, looking at it again it is obvious. I guess I was just looking too hard for an explanation as for why they thought putting them on the right side would be a good idea:wallbash:

11. Xploitedtitan

Xploitedtitan What's a Dremel?

I am using this case for a couple of months now. I didn't plan on using the window, so everything on the right side is very nice for me, the computer being left of my monitor.

USB ports and power button are in reach.

12. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

This case is also ITX compatible, I've just put a Z97i-Plus in mine.

I'd say it's main strength is for a beefy watercooled ITX rig, as you can get plenty of cooling packed in there and still have plenty of room to fit everything else in, unlike the 304 which is a hell of a squeeze. The main downside I've found is it's weight once filled with WC gear, this isn't a case you'll be hauling to LANs regularly.

NOTE: It's definitely worth noting that the 60mm maximum radiator depth (on the motherboard side of the case, front mounted) is of course totally dependant on your graphics card length. My 290 is too long, which means I can't fit a fan to my slimline rad on the bottom half - it has one fan on the top half only! Fortunately I have a second 240 rad in the PSU compartment. It's possible a slimline fan will fit in the gap, but their performance on rads is probably not worth the bother.

Tags: Add Tags