1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Sep 2014.

1. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Jesus, you're not going to get everything at once. For the people that splashed out on a 780/780 Ti, obviously this isn't for them. But, Maxwell looks mighty good to someone like me, looking to replace a 550 Ti. The 650 Ti wasn't enough of an upgrade, the 650 Ti Boost was tasty but didn't last long. Now I can get a 750 Ti with double the performance of the 550 Ti at significantly less power.

For the flagship cards, they'll take what they've done here and get back on improving performance for the next generation. At least, I'm figuring they're not planning on a 780/Titan/780 Ti situation two generations in a row.

At the moment, though, now I'm wondering what the next generation's numbering scheme will be.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They have only just released this generation and you are already thinking of next gen. :D
    I would expect to see GTX 990, 1000 and more to come next year first.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thing is a 980 is next up from a 780 etc

any reviews of the 970 btw?

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've just told my partner what I would like for Christmas but, I think I will be out of luck :-(

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'll be interesting to see the rest of the range landing - power savings across the board?

It does make my own personal choice a bit difficult in a year or so, but I'm hoping there'll be a new faster card out by then (a new Titan?).

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering how close the 970 is to the 980 I suspect 2x 970 will be the high end sweetspot for a quite a long time to come.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

To address some points - AA is enabled at 1080p/1440p in all game tests except Crysis, where its impact is too detrimental on performance. AA is incldued under the 'Ultra' settings in BF4 and BioShock. We disable AA at 4K because again it is too much for cards to handle, and also because when you're playing at such a high resolution on a 28-inch panel, for example, the need for it is heavily reduced anyway.

We will have a launch article up for the GTX 970 very soon, featuring THREE cards all at once :) I apologise that it was not ready for launch; it was my intention to have both ready but I have only had since Wednesday morning to do everything and I am but one man, and do need at least some sleep :D going as quick as I can though :)

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

STOP POSTING HERE GET BACK TO WORK!

:D

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Looking forward to that 3 card review Dogger666, don't kill your self with the workload, folks can wait a few hours for a proper in depth review !

I think this months wages will be going on a 970 to complete my new PC so a three card review line up is perfect.

10. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Take your time and get out a quality article rather than something rushed.. we can wait (just about!)

11. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Great review however bit odd that you pit the latest version of Geforce drivers, when the AMD cards are with the ancient drivers (13.12 or 14.4 beta).

The performance boost between 13.12 and 14.8 WHQL is pretty significant.

12. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Nice 980 review. Can't wait for the 970 review!

13. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

The top card's price is too high but I assume has been done so to allow a reasonable dumping of the remaining 700 series stock - the 970 however, looks buyable at current price, even though in past years the Gx#04 GPU's have been used only on mid range cards carrying the x60 tag, I can't help feeling that the performance and price of these still enables Nvidia to make an absolute margin killing.

As I am a 1080P gamer with a 4gb 770GTX I'll probably wait for the proper 20nm high end GM2#0 cards to be released (I assume end of Q1 next year?) and buy a 1440P monitor at same time so I can enjoy the graphical grunt :)

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The OCd EVGA 970 looks like it may tempt the 570 Phantom out of my case as it almost matches the 980 reference :)

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Have you waited until the missus is away to upgrade your PC, you devil?

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Shhh. All she knows is in the crates getting shipped over is going to be my dismantled PC :)

Reminds me, I reallly have to get a list together of a loooot of things to sell.

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I really hope that the upcoming 3-way GTX 970 review features both the MSI and the ASUS cards...

18. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I've just bought an EVGA GTX 980 SC from Scan for delivery tomorrow morning as an upgrade for my vanilla EVGA GTX 780. I think the card offers enough performance improvements and features to make it worthwile, plus the 4 GB of VRAM is going to be very useful. I play games at 1920x1200 but even at that resolution there are a growing number of games which hit 3 GB of VRAM usage; Watch_Dogs for example.

The 256-bit memory bus is a bit disappointing in a flagship card but the lossless compression helps make up for that and it seems that lower resolutions like the one I use benefit more from it than the higher ones, which really need 384 or 512-bit buses more.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Well played.
    Yeah, otherwise shipping to bit members could be a bitch.

In other news - I'm really looking forward to the 970 reviews. I may just have to upgrade at that price.

20. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hehe, well I guess today's going to be your lucky day :)

Tags: Add Tags