1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VESA adds DisplayPort to USB Type-C standard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is anyone else getting Page not found ?

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I am, but there are server upgradings occurring so that's probably why. :thumb:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

S'working here. The main site moved servers last night, tho' - try clearing your DNS cache. You should be getting 188.165.227.17 for www.bit-tech.net, bit-tech.net and images.bit-tech.net.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My internet must be broken :(
    After flushing the DNS i get 195.78.94.34 for bit-tech.net, and 188.165.227.17 just gives me a Welcome to nginx! splash page.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Sounds like you need better DNS to fix the former. The latter is 'cos you need the domain name, or the server doesn't know what content to serve. If you don't want to swap your DNS away from your ISP's servers, either wait patiently for the new records to propagate or stick manual entries in wherever Windows keeps its /etc/hosts file these days.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

On topic, this looks freakin' amazing. A single cable for video & power? Would make things a hell of a lot easier; it might not reduce my overall power consumption, but it would mean I only use one mains socket instead of three.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

imagine if they sorted out PCI -Express lanes too, it would make it really easy to have a standardized Laptop docking port made out of 3 USB ports and would even support external GPUs. Yes I like to dream BIG!

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Whilst this replicates some of the functionality of ThunderBolt, the fact remains that TB is technically a better solution because it really is just PCIe lanes, allowing external GPUs and all that nice stuff. It's just massively disappointing that Intel can't seem to sell it properly and get it to mass market acceptance outside of Apple.

I'd love to have Thunderbolt on my PC - and in fact, my board has a TB_Header available. Can I find the card to slot in there? No. Thanks Asus.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think it's one of those circular argument things: no one aside Apple really supports it, so the range of peripherals is small; manufacturers don't want to take the financial risk of putting out TB peripherals because no one besides Apple really supports it.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Firewire suffered similar problems iirc

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Firewire used to have one big advantage over USB: pro-audio, specifically multi-channel audio interfaces. Firewire supported faster data rates (meaning more audio channels) and lower latency; it became the standard for a while, and is still used quite a lot today. You'll find both USB2 and Firewire (and even some Thunderbolt) audio interfaces these days, but many people still swear by Firewire and won't use anything else.