1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple Mac Mini refresh rumoured for October

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i hope apple add a decent mGPU.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Be the iris pro at best, I'd think. Rumours point to a pro version of the iPad.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

iPad Air 2 with A8(x?) and TouchID is pretty much nailed on. Yosemite release date announcement also a pretty solid bet. iPad Pro with larger screen and maybe more RAM and a speed bump looks likely. It's time for a refresh on the Mac Mini so that would make sense.

My question is how long to wait before pushing the button on a MacBook Pro Retina 15" purchase - I'd expect a TouchID power button within the next couple of refreshes, but unless there's a refresh next month I'll be minded just to go for it. My 5 year old 13" MBP is definitely showing its age!!

5. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

I'm in the same boat - waiting to pull the trigger on a 15" rMBP, but I think I'll wait until the next refresh if it's not far off..

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Lots of creatives use them as reasonably-priced music workhorses, but this doesn't require an mGPU either :)

This would alienate a HUGE number of users who need the CPU grunt of the current range of Mac Mini devices, which would be a great shame.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Mac Mini was always Apple's budget, entry level device. It's the cheapest Mac and serves as the gateway for those who've bought iOS devices and want to try out the Mac side of things. Of course, being the cheapest also leads to impaired specifications (lowest is a dual-core i5, 4GB RAM and 500GB 5400rpm HD) and being sold without a keyboard/mouse/monitor. Apple then rake in profit on upgrades and sales of accessories.

Of course, the Mini found an unintended niche as a powerhorse. Spend the right money and you get a decent quad-core i7, enough RAM (8-16GB) and all in a tiny quiet box. In the day and age where computing power has outstripped basic need (ie: browsing the web), the Mini does a good job.

I actually bought my parents a Mini recently. 2.6Ghz Quad i7, 8GB of RAM and Apple's Fusion Drive (1TB HD + 120GB SSD cache + clever software). It'll fill their web browsing, email, Office and photo needs with aplomb.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

^ this. As you say, with plenty of RAM, a decent CPU and an upgraded HDD/SSD, it's a great little workhorse. I know (and have helped) lots of musicians who use them, and don't want to be tied in to an iMac with integral display (and can't afford a Mac Pro).

I'll be keen to see whether Apple kills off that avenue with the new one...

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I think the Mini's role has gotten bigger over the years as Apple have pushed the prices ever upwards on their iMac and PowerMac/Mac Pro lines. My parent's previous machine cost £899 and was the top-end 20" iMac. The equivalent model is now £1049. The professional line is even worse - I paid £1600 for a very well loaded 2.8Ghz Octocore Mac Pro in 2008 (again, middle range), whereas the Mac Pro line starts at £2499 now. I don't remember how much my PowerMac G5 cost, but it was sub £2000 for the top-of-the-line dual 2.5Ghz (dual CPU, not dual-core).

You certainly can't blame anybody on a budget for taking a hard look at a Mini.

EDIT: The Mini also gives you screen flexibility. Photographer with an Eizo? Bringing your old screen? Don't want to pay Apple £899 for a 27"? The Mini will accommodate you. I ordered a Dell U2913WM for my parents, costing under half of the now outdated Apple Cinema Display. For their purposes, it was a sound purchase.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Unlikely as the mini is also apple's primary 'server' option... unless they drop osx server entirely...

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I wouldn't read too much in to that. Apple have totally withdrawn from the server market, the Mac Mini Server as an anomaly that'll likely be fixed at some point. Their attitude is to use any old Mac, as the server tools are now just sitting on the App Store and can be installed to any Mac.

12. RedFlames

I know it's a blip but of the [current] mac options it's the best suited to server, set it up then shove it somewhere out of the way...

The 'server' mac mini is in the same position the iPod Classic was, it is [was in the iPod's case] a niche thing but there is still some demand for it...

When there's no longer enough demand for it to justify it's existence then it'll follow in the iPod Classic's footsteps...

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's pretty accurate - but I think the scores are on the door for the Mini Server. It's literally the same as the non-server quad core machine except with dual 1TB drives instead of a single - and you can still get dual drives by going for the Fusion Drive on the other machine.

I've seen Mac Minis being used as servers and not one of them was the specific server variant. On the other hand, the Xserves were beautiful and I miss them dearly.

14. GreekUser

GreekUser What's a Dremel?

Oh please bit tech. Not you in rumorland...

15. RedFlames

Well the mac mini refresh has indeed happened and it is indeed October...

For those looking for a pocket rocket, there's no quad core option amongst the new line...

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huzzah! I'll be doing a post on it (and the 'retina' iMac, which personally I find more exciting) today. First, a decent breakfast and cup of tea...

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hah, looks like I called the death of the Mini Server accurately. Shame the rest of the new Mini line up is retrograde.