1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK government finally legalises CD ripping

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Isn't it still illegal to break DRM to create the backup in the first place?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Y'know, I'm not actually sure about that. I know in the US the Digital Millennium Copyright Act makes it illegal to circumvent DRM, but I've lost track of what the UK situation is. Might need to do some research on that one!

4. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

You can tell they (government) really think these issues through before making such judgements :rolleyes:

Last edited: 3 Oct 2014
  5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

if you clone a cd. Is this breaking the DRM or do you made a duplicate with the DRM intact?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK Circumventing DRM in order to make private copies is still illegal.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Probably because consumers abandon physical media. What's the point of a CD if you cannot legally copy it to your iPod of .MP3 library? Might as well buy digital then. This is physical media publishing scrambling to not lose their market.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

This is what I thought, so it'd be fine for most people who rip their music collection, but not their movie collection.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

surely its not illegal anymore as thats that the change in law isnt it ?

Private copies are ok as along as you own the media original

10. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

The act of making the copy used to be illegal, now its not but the owning the original is still a bit vague (not that anyone is likely to come after you)

But say for instance I make a copy of a CD (or copy a song to my iphone or what ever) I own the original CD and store it safely in my house. My house burns down.... I no longer own the original as its been destroyed should I now destroy my copy and buy a replacement CD with the insurance money??

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I could be totally wrong, but i think it covers all media, CD, DVD, MP3, everything.

The caveats seem to be that it's still illegal to circumvent any DRM, although if you think the DRM is excessive you can apparently raise your concerns with the home secretary. And the other caveat is the copies are only for personal use, so no sharing them with friends or family.

At least that's what i picked out when skimming through articles about the so called format shifting & parody bill (that's if I'm not confusing my laws)

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014
  12. adam_bagpuss

if its still illegal to actually circumvent the DRM then the change in law is pointless

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

the ridiculous prior situation wasn't limited to "format-shifting" IIRC, so transferring an MP3 from your PC to a mobile device (iPod, phone etc.) was legally considered an unauthorised copy and thus illegal...

Some interpretations even tried to claim that streaming from an online service was an unauthorised copy (server -> RAM) and that technically any digital music store (e.g. AmazonMP3) was technically illegal because the purchased music was added to your "digital locker", and the act of downloading it was a copy from the locker, hence most stores have/had a pay once, download once policy so that the locker copy (see?!) wasn't available any more therefore it was a "transfer" not a "copy".

Thankfully all that madness is finally over!

Now to take on and expunge the archaic and misguided "ProDub" license for DJing from digital media rather than CDs...

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Go dig through some music on amazon, the physical version is frequently cheaper than the digital one, which makes buying physical, ripping it, then binning the disc to save space a viable option.

15. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

16. Gareth Halfacree

Good find!

17. adam_bagpuss

so as thought this law is pointless as bypassing DRM is illegal and so copying any music or films is therefore illegal. I've yet to come across a DRM free film or CD.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Most CDs are DRM-free, especially after the Sony/BMG rootkit debacle. Added to which if you buy from Amazon you get a free MP3 download of the disc anyway.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I've only ever bought three "copy-protected" CDs. In every case, I returned 'em for a refund, pointing out that I bought a Compact Disc Digital Audio disc and what they supplied was not in-spec with that standard.

20. adam_bagpuss

hmm maybe just films then.

when did Apple stop making the itunes stuff DRM free ?