1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

UPDATE

Well this certainly wasn't an update that I ever wanted to have to make, but it appears I have hit a snag.

Today when I was putting the frame down I managed to stumble and it slipped out of my grip... and landed on the floor corner first. Naturally, the corner completely shattered, taking a large section out of the panel. Sadly this extended through one of the main water channels, meaning it can't be repaired. Took a mighty chunk out of the wood flooring though, talk about a hefty hit! The components themselves seem to be okay, it didn't land on them and they don't seem to have suffered. I'll assemble them all again and check thoroughly, however, that everything is still functioning.

So what does this mean for Loramentum? Not much. I'm going to be having another block milled, I will also improve the design a little on the way, making it lighter weight and more efficient. It's annoying, but there's not much else to do really. No way can I let this build slide into the abyss, no it will rise even better than before, and hopefully it will still be ready for iSeries.

Enjoy the carnage! :duh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

You can solvent weld that and it will be water proof...

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks great.:D
    What's to keep your cat from walking behind it an dumping it on it's face?:worried:

Edit: Ow! ninja jinx. I'm glad you won't let this setback end the project.
    @B-neg -I wouldn't do it on this one. The seams were bent a wee bit from breaking, and the stress would return as crazing later. I had a sheet that was "tweaked" in shipping. When I got around to gluing it, it crazed a LOT.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2014
  4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Damn :eeek:

I have to agree with Neg, as long as there isn't too much material missing it should be repairable. Of course it won't ever look the same but it would be functional.

5. Maki role

Eh no, this one really isn't salvageable. There are massive chunks literally taken out and the back panel shattered into a million pieces, so at the very least that will need redoing.

6. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Man, that's heartbreaking. At least you are trying to stay positive :thumb:.

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Leave James alone!!!!!!

Seriously though. I am gutted for you mate. That must have been quite a cursing moment.
    Hang in there, you will get there.

8. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

things happen mate, but look on the bright side, now it's gonna be better than what it would have been

9. Maki role

Bah it's only a bit of plastic, admittedly a beautiful bit of plastic, but relatively easy to replace all the same. Unfortunately it does mean that my new lens budget has probably been displaced now though.

I won't lie, that room was inhabited by a very angry sailor at that point. Still, hopefully James will have some time to help me out... pretty please?

End this project? Naa I couldn't ever let that happen, at the very least I owe it to my friend and you lot to see it through to the end. Not to mention I doubt EK would be all too happy :p

And indeed it shall, like the phoenix it shall rise from the... splintered wood and acrylic to be more majestic than before. I've had a lot of time to redesign things, so hopefully I'll be able to put some of those points into practice.

10. Maki role

Okay so let's get the ball rolling again. I've finished remaking the model, it's now a much more efficient design that cuts down on a tremendous amount of weight. It should also be much easier to machine than before as the total depth for either side is just 10mm rather than 25. As such, I've reduced the total thickness by 10mm.

I did a couple quick renders to show the new design, should be much more interesting than the last one.

[​IMG]

Bottom
    [​IMG]

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Why do we fall Bruce?

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Looks smexy!

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Looks shiny, what are you rendering in ?

14. Maki role

Brb - Be right Batman

It'll only look smexy if I can get it done it time though, running rather short on that.

I used Cycles render in Blender for all the renders in the thread. It's a really capably piece of software, plus it's completely free which is a bonus.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Make more radiator tabs. The more you mount it to a solid object like the radiator, the sturdier it gets.

...Unless you drop it.:p

16. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Hmm, how come I didn't reply on this mod yet? I think it's freaking genious!! :D

17. Maki role

Yeah that was a slightly unfinished model that I used for the renders, updated a couple things on it before sending it off for quotes. Including adding some more tabs! :thumb:

Cheers! Bah there are too many great mods going on here atm, I've found myself wondering the same thing about many projects too.

Sort of update

Well we're back to orange text and good news! :clap:

First up, a massive thank you to Bit-Tech for the MotM nomination and to everybody who has already voted! For those you have yet to vote, get on over there and share the love. There are some great projects in there this month, all the better that we're not restricted to a single vote.

Secondly, whilst not a big update, I managed to find the time the other day to hook everything together in a makeshift loop to see if things would work properly. Sure enough, it all went smoothly, every component works fine, which was a huge relief. I wanted to post this the other day, but I had to pop off to Belgium for a bit, back now and stocked up on confit from the supermarket (just can't get the stuff over here, takes too long to make too) and Neuhaus.

Bit of a Frankenstein's PC right now, just put things together with spares that I had lying around. Worked well enough, although having a reservoir around to help with bleeding would have been good.
    [​IMG]

18. kuala

kuala What's a Dremel?

I can't stop looking at the gold Dominator Platinums! Every single pic I just stare at them... so beautiful!

Voted for ya over at MotM!

19. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

when is the next update?

20. Maki role

Thanks!

When Justin over at Parvum is able to find the time to get the pieces milled. Hopefully that will be pretty soon, but you can never tell with these things. The hard deadline for project completion is November 18th, so you don't have long to wait regardless.