1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Addison - Final photos page 6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 28 Aug 2014.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

Slippery Skip threads are always interesting and well documented, and this one's no different. Subscribed, and drooling like an elk hound as I anticipate the shell.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Jeez. No pressure there. :)

[​IMG]
    For cutting a large 135mm hole I mark it off with my precision optical measuring guide.

[​IMG]
    Next I mount the piece in the chuck on my floor mounted drill press and select my 135mm hole saw.

[​IMG]
    Took a long time to drill the hole. Seemed like five hours. Must be a dull saw blade.

[​IMG]
    Not as clean a cut as my CNC router but it is currently down for calibration.

[​IMG]
    Cleaned up the edges with my oscillating spindle sander.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Love the floor mounted drill press system you've got going there :D

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

:thumb:

Bluetooth enabled. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Beginnings of the decorative cover. This is the start to the fascia. It's in the front and it's in your face. Fascia.

[​IMG]
    135mm hole.

[​IMG]
    Hand carved with a razer knife. About 13 hours.

[​IMG]
    SSD mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Carved out some indents to relieve some interference with the PSU modular cable latches. Probably one of the most useless things in a computer. Whose modular cables have fallen out of the PSU because there wasn't a little piece of plastic locking them in? OK maybe Elon Musk has to worry about one surviving a space launch but...seriously?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut a 120mm fan hole in the center of the front interior panel. Glued up a fan support system.

[​IMG]
    Also cut out center section of radiator panel mounting cleat. I had left out the glue in this middle part when the cleat was originally attached.

[​IMG]
    Scythe SY1212SL12M (1600RPM) Slip Stream Slim 120x12mm Fan

[​IMG]
    Probably mounted backwards. I dunno. Don't care right now. This the better looking side. There are no flow markers so they are making me think.

[​IMG]
    Cut a fan clearance/support section out of the radiator plate.

[​IMG]
    Also cut out a small notch to allow the PCI-E cable to disappear down below the plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fan isn't mounted in the traditional manner. I would call it "restrained in place". I was concerned about stresses on the incredibly thin frame caused by mounting screws. I also don't want fasteners coming through the front panel because of the nature of the decorative cover mounting system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Again. Facing the wrong way...I think.

Thanks for looking!

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]
    Been cutting up timber and punching out holes for my decorative cover.

[​IMG]
    This is wood angle. It is CNC cut from solid wood.

[​IMG]
    The angle is fit to each corner and acts as the foundation for the cover. All the exterior bits will be attached to these pieces. They are the only contact points with the interior box when the cover slides off and on.

[​IMG]
    The cover's front face includes an 135mm hole. This is the outlet for the 120mm Scythe fan.

[​IMG]
    This is the cover's back panel. It is cut to size but is being left blank for now because I haven't decided to do a full coverage panel or a cut-down "bikini" back panel. Either way, it starts with a full-sized wood panel.

[​IMG]
    The video card side panel with its 92mm vent hole

[​IMG]
    The PSU side panel also with a 92mm vent hole.

[​IMG]
    The top panel has an 135mm hole yet to be cut.

[​IMG]
    This is 11/16" quarter round made of pine. My design calls for rounded shoulders on the left and right edges. I'm going to incorporate these two pieces into the cover construction to get those curves.

[​IMG]
    Probably the most complex part of this project will be integrating this quarter round into the edge. Here it is placed nearby its future home. This means I'll be veneering on a curve later in the project. Always fun!

[​IMG]
    Progress so far all tossed together for a photo op.

Thanks for looking!

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Held together with spit and rubber bands, it's still looking good.

8. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Yes. I've learned over the years to not commit until the very last moment.

[​IMG]
    A 4 inch square piece of wood is cut along with 4 small framing timbers.

[​IMG]
    A 4 inch square piece of mesh is also cut.

[​IMG]
    This will be my mesh screen mounting system for the left and right (video card and PSU) side panel vent holes.

[​IMG]
    Glue the four small timbers around the edge of the wooden block to form a frame. Glue the block over the vent hole and cut out the hole.

[​IMG]
    Flipped over.

[​IMG]
    This process makes the panel look as if it is twice as thick giving the overall piece a beefier stronger look. I have used this optical illusion several time in the past.

[​IMG]
    With the mesh screen in place.

[​IMG]
    Final mesh screen installation will happen very late in the build. I'll do this by gluing in 4 small framing timbers around the inside edge effectively locking in the screen.

[​IMG]
    Result.

[​IMG]
    Rinse and repeat for other side.

Thanks for looking!

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good Jeff. Another master piece in the making..I have to agree with cheaps. by your usual standards this one in absolutely massive.

10. wutdo

wutdo What's a Dremel?

Gotta Love the slim Scythe Fans i had originally planned to use them for my build but found i had good airflow so now there just sitting around doing nothing

11. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! I hear ya on the size. A decent video card and PSU to drive it take up a lot more space than I usually have to deal with.

The only bad thing I've heard about them is they don't like to be horizontally mounted. Apparently they don't do well supporting their own weight when hung like that. I don't expect any problems with how I'm using it.

[​IMG]
    Cut some 1/4" square timber to same length as 11/16" quarter round.

[​IMG]
    Glued pieces together to create ledges for 1/8" panels to rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top panel resting on its curved shoulders.

[​IMG]
    Built up a mesh support system on the back of the front panel and cut out appropriate sized piece of mesh. My "system" consists of 14 pieces of wood and includes spacers to elevate the panel away from the box enough to provide its own clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The construction creates various slots and channels to support and guide the mesh panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The mesh panel will remain easily removable during construction to allow for finishing/sanding/painting. In the end the slot will be covered by a decorative element making the mesh panel permanent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 4 Oct 2014
  12. Zsolt Guriga

Zsolt Guriga What's a Dremel?

Awesome work:thumb:,I really like wooden mods,looking forward,keep up with good work:)

13. Thisisburrito

Thisisburrito What's a Dremel?

You continue to blow me away with your craftsmanship slippery... I'm looking forward to see what you do with a bigger case than your usual pint-sized creations!

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! :thumb:

Thank you. I've done full-sized cases in the past but I don't feel they provide the same level of challenge that I get from small projects.

[​IMG]
    Cut a significant chunk out of each corner of the internal box to provide clearance for the external covers rounded shoulders.

[​IMG]
    I knew this step was coming which is why I had previously built up a lot of material at each corner.

[​IMG]
    Attached the quarter round assemblies to the edges of the top panel. Modified them to provide clearance for the side panels mesh screen mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fitted but not yet permanently attached to the side panels.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

15. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

Nice to see the traditional size comparison tool (TM) at work.

Is 'seasonal' coke already out where you are, or is that part of a private stash from last year?

I'm very interested to see how the veneering of a curved surface is done. I imagine it't quite the challenge.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love that mesh pocket.
    3/4 round spliced twice in a three inch length. -Don't you love the new lumber standards.:(
    I don't think "pint sized" works in this case... maybe "quart-sized" is better.

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It's from my private collection. :) I have done some veneering on a curve in the past. We'll soon see how this one goes.

I bought a piece of scrap quarter round from Home Depot that was pre-painted white. Should have known it was spliced. I accidentally sawed through a section of splice and was surprised to find metal.

[​IMG]
    Glued the top panel to the side panels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Decided to go with the cut-down bikini back panel. Not as strong as a full coverage piece but I think it will look better. Hence....bikini. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glued into place. All of these gluing steps are done with the cover in place. The trick is to not accidentally glue two surfaces together that shouldn't be stuck together.

[​IMG]
    Positioning the front panel.

[​IMG]
    A step I like to refer to as "Bringing the Pain".

[​IMG]
    All the edges trimmed and cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

slipperyskip? SFF gaming rig?

[​IMG]

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Yes and yes. :D

[​IMG]
    Cut some spacers to elevate the radiator plate.

[​IMG]
    I created three different thicknesses. These are combined in various ways to get the correct radiator height.

I'm attempting to correct a design error I made concerning the thickness of the stock watercooling fan. My original design created so much stress on the motherboard the I/O plate would pop out. The tightly coiled up radiator hoses were causing a downward pressure on the board causing it to bend. I struggled with shims to raise the plate enough to relieve the stress without the fan hitting the top of the case.

Didn't work. I have had to abandon the stock 20mm thick fan and replace it with a 15mm unit. With the extra space created by the thinner fan I was able to shim the rad plate up even higher. Everything fits nicely now and the board bending problem is resolved. Fan performance is the big question now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut out the radiator inlet vent.

[​IMG]
    Radiator peek-a-boo.

[​IMG]
    Built the mounting system for the top vent mesh. A simple frame will do here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the 15mm rad fan I'll be starting out with. It is made by ID Cooling who I believe is an OEM supplier for other companies including Cooler Master. Took three weeks to get this shipped from China.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mocking up some decorative elements to check the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The lower hole was cut slightly small so that minor adjustments can be made after permanently attaching the decorative hole. To me this is easier than trying to align everything perfectly to a fixed hole. Don't worry if you don't understand. I barely do. :)

[​IMG]
    Photo number 200.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014
  20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

*quietly slips in because he's late as all hell*

Slippery skip? Gaming rig? Count me in!