1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How would you tackle this roundabout?

Discussion in 'General' started by lancer778544, 7 Oct 2014.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

All being equal, a "reference" roundabout, I'd agree with the above.

When we're talking about an A road intersecting with various other lesser roads though I don't think this is necessarily the case. Plenty of roundabouts are marked up in a fashion contradictory to the above pic.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It is always the case. It doesn't matter what roads are intersecting the round about or whether the round about is poorly marked up.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I tried to figure this out properly but I didn't know what the words on the sign meant. Yes I'm joking.
    If it were me I would probably be in lane 2, regardless of what the roads are or where they go (or don't go) to it is still the third exit and as such, IMO, you should be in lane 2.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd drive at high speed towards lane 2, then at the last minute perform a Scandinavian flick into lane 1. I'd then drift round the roundabout in an perfect harmony of man and machine, before powersliding off the exit in vast clouds of acrid white tyre smoke.

All this in a FWD Nissan Primera of course ;)

5. Mister_Tad

Except it's not... from the very link you re-quoted...

Of course it's straightforward when you have a perfect roundabout with 2 lanes in each of four directions all perfectly 90 degrees from the next, and no signs or markings on the road that might confuse matters.

In this case it's all down to interpretation IMO. I see the sign as saying "both lanes go to Ogmore etc", but other road users may not, hence Lane 2 is the safest option and definitely isn't wrong in any case, so is the lane I'd slot in to. Lane markings would make things more clear, and eliminate any differences in interpretation of course. Although it sounds like you would follow the "reference" rules anyway, in spite of what any road markings are asking you and other road users to do.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Except that when on an inside lane of the roundabout, one should never exit into the left lane of the exit as you'll cut up people in the outside lane of the roundabout turning into the left lane of the same exit (e.g. cars coming from the left in the picture and carrying straight on, or cars coming from the top of the picture and turning left). You always exit into the right lane, then check if the left lane is clear, and move back into left lane.

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

now this is a roundabout :D
    [​IMG]

8. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I would use lane 2 for anything past 12'oclock including straight on

I alwatys use lane 2 even for going straight ahead as i can always do a lap of the roundabout if someone gets in the way. I started doing this a few years back when i was going straight on at a roundabout in lane 1 as your supposed to when a car entered the roundabout from the right (he was going straight on also) and cut me up thinking i was going left because i was in lane 1, it resulted in my car being a right off

9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I remember it well, and Sadler's Farm along the A130 used to be like that too.

Re the OP: I'd probably just go in whichever made most sense at the time

10. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

At the end of the day the only wrong answer is the one that puts you and other road users in danger.

Enter safely, observe, signal and move over when it's safe to do so and it really wont be that difficult to leave in one piece.

11. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

The correct answer is that you're turning right. so you need to be in the right hand lane.

the "what everyone else does" answer is "what everyone else does"

.. so if that means turning right from the left hand lane, then turn right from the left hand lane.

but the road markings should pretty much dictate what every one else has been doing.. which given that road layout is probably treating it as a single lane... and turning right from the middle of the road.

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Or you could just ****ing walk

/sarcasm

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Honestly I'd like to see such signs.

It really isn't. The marked route is past 12 o' clock or "to the right" as referenced in the government doc. The sign, the map and reality all reflect this, so you use the second lane.

Surely this thread alone is evidence that self driving cars can't get here quick enough.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This one is even prettier:

[​IMG]

It appears he was in the wrong and now you are also doing the same. Also, you shouldn't have driving so slowly in the roundabout (or he drove too fast). Either way, I hope it was on his insurance because even if you drove too slow, he still should have situational awareness.

I always try to be ahead of the car in the inner lane of the roundabout to avoid being in his blindspot.

15. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

i was driving at normal speeds, the other guy was driving too fast, his insurance paid out so it didn't end up too bad, and i was in an old beat up car which i got more than my moneys worth for.

I realize that i am also now doing the same and are in the wrong but i would rather be on the safe side, since that accident i am always too aware at roundabouts.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure how, or why someone in lane 1 would be cutting someone up in lane 2. :confused:
    I was taught that when exiting a roundabout you should filter into the outside lane of the roundabout so you can make the upcoming left hand turn, wouldn't taking lane 2 into the roundabout possibly leave you going round the roundabout forever attempting to filter into the outside lane ?

Wouldn't it be the driver in lane 2 the inside lane of the roundabout, cutting up the driver in lane 1 the outside lane of the roundabout ? At some point the driver in lane 2, the inside lane of the roundabout has to filter into the outside lane of the roundabout to take the exit (unless there are two exit lanes)
    Not what i was taught (a long time ago). I was taught that for the first exit you should be in lane 1, the second exit can be either lane 1 or 2, with preference on lane 1 depending on traffic flow.
    Anything past the second exit can be lane 1 or 2, with preference on lane 2 depending on traffic and road layout, i.e can you filter safely from lane 2 the inside lane of the roundabout to lane 1 the outside lane of the roundabout before your exit.

17. Mister_Tad

Try this - every time you approach a roundabout, have a look at the left side of the road and the road itself. You might be surprised how common it is for signs and road markings to advise on lanes - blindly following the reference rules might just put you in a tight spot one day.

For instance...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s57rQo9pZpne3FhKBr-WnUQ!2e0

Turning left in the right hand lane? What is this madness! I guess that's because it's the main thoroughfare.

Here's a good one...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srcn597E4zlCgqmhDsXO5bg!2e0

Seems to conform, right? Just 4 lanes instead of two. Except for lane 3, the one with the right arrow, is actually referring to an exit that's less than half way round.

And here, all three lanes are valid for going right. Except right is kind of straight, it's just that the roundabout is a little bit less than round.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKbm3ir_VfSJgf54RLTbx1g!2e0

I could sit here all day citing examples of "wrong" roundabouts...

This delightful one says left for A43S (which is indeed left), but then the arrow in lane 2 claims to be for going straight on, despite also indicating it's appropriate for A43S, which is left.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjuRLm6jeeGfeYP5-azsezQ!2e0

Last edited: 8 Oct 2014
  18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

This is something I have noticed more and more in recent years, where roundabouts have road markings and signs which contradict the reference rules.
    And often for good reason, such as speeding up traffic flow in congested area's.

Which is why it is important to take notice of road markings and signs, however in the initial example posted by the OP the reference rules should apply as there are no marking to suggest otherwise.

19. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Having had a quick look at the roundabout on the satellite view I can't see any road markings suggesting it works different from the standard rules. Lane 2 here :)

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

"Jil... Jilfash... Jilfack.. Jock.."

*tyre screech*
    *airbags*

:D

Seriously though, unless lane markings indicate otherwise (which they don't appear to in this case):

The chosen exit is past "12 o'clock" so on approach, indicate right.
    Move into right-hand lane (lane "2").
    Give way to traffic on the roundabout approaching from the right.
    Once on the roundabout, keep to the inside lane and keep indicating right.
    Once level with the exit before the chosen exit, indicate left.
    Merge with any traffic in the outside roundabout lane and exit the roundabout.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2014