1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress | LUMO |-Completed and on In Wins stand at I series...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 15 Sep 2014.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I got the RAM today,a total bargain of Amazon!
    4x4Gb of Crucial Ballistix 1600 (Remember this is a gaming PC),I know these sticks can hit 2000-2100@1.65v with some tweaking so I think I had a result!

Obviously,the stickers are staying till I test them,I am normally lucky with hardware but RAM....well.....you know....

[​IMG]

If only both sides were like this......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now,because the branding is discreet,im in a quandary...Do i marble DIMMS or just leave them vanilla?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My head says yes..and some stripes in the recesses to boot but the black chunky HS look is hard to ignore....​

2. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

I´d say the sticks look awsome and match the looks quite well out of the box.
    Even the serial number sticker is hidden quite well.

3. B NEGATIVE

I know right...its like MIPS and Crucial were in cahoots.

The tray has arrived from E22,this is a sacrificial tray mainly for checking the clearances and the hole positions are correct. thankfully they are but I realized I can move the mobo 5mm forward and 10mm up,making more space for the rads/fans.

[​IMG]

The mobo is hard up against the PSU bay,only 4mm clearance.

[​IMG]

The GPU's are just resting in there until the 11m standoffs arrive and I can use the pillars that Kier thoughtfully sent me from his banchetto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My camera definitely doesnt like the fluro paint at all! ​

4. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Loving all the small details you added.

5. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

Awsome...
    Looks like a tight gap between the Mainboard and PSU housing. Do the needed Wires fit though that ?
    Just some ideas...
    Will you cut out the Tray until maximum weight saving to match the design of the Frame ?
    Would it be possible to route some wires (e.g start/Reset button) through the framerails as some bikebuilders or carmodders (aka wiretucking)

6. Hanoverfist

Hanoverfist Minimodder

Hey..your photo skills are coming along quite nicely...looks great.

7. B NEGATIVE

Thanks Huk,they all add up...eventually.
    The fluro should look good behind the smoked glass sides.

You could do that,bit late for me tho,you would have to drill and fill an awful lot

Thank mate,I really did need to fix my awful photography.....Talking of which.....

[​IMG]

Sponsored by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And its my pleasure to thank the great folks @ Be Quiet for providing the fans and PSU for this rig!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After using their Powerzone range of PSU's,I decided I would like to use them again for this rig,this time I selected the Dark Power PSU of the 850w variety.
    Now,I can see many folks asking why did I go with a semi modular unit,This unit only has the 24pin hardwired and,seeing as im stripping it for paint,its no hardship for me to sleeve.

Anyway,to the pics.

Fans,normally I would of gone straight to Alpenfohn but this time,because the PSU fan will be visible,I went with Be Quiet Silent Wings PWM so they all match up.

[​IMG]

Nice rubberized corner mounts...or there are single side flush mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very solid feeling fan,I am impressed,much more solid feeling than my usual choices with a nice weight,rubberized rings around the intake/output for noise dampening when up hard against the case,a very nice touch!

And the PSU!

This was exciting for me,I have seen this PSU before but not in the flesh,I was very pleasantly surprised with the build quality of this unit,from the paint to the packaging,all very clean and fuss free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little gadget for switching from multi to single rail.

[​IMG]

Its almost a sorry thing to strip it for paint,I originally thought the side panels were stickered up but they are not,the logo plates are a knurled finish on black and look great so im masking them off and keeping them.

The fans.....are a secret for now,I am puzzled on how to get the fan hubs off,I may have to mask the gaps and spray the whole fan.

Chime in if you know how to get the hub off without a hammer!​

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014
  8. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Oooh! A B-neg build! Subbed!

Can't believe I was late to yet another show!

9. B NEGATIVE

Now here is a regular face,nice to see you again,I did wonder where you got to......:D

10. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Sponsored by!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another update...they seem to be coming thick and fast!

The fans...well,I had a change of plan,I ditched the idea of painting the blades and hubs as I had a better,more discreet idea instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I followed this thru on to the PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initially, the PSU was going to be painted but...the top cover has the fan guard welded in so I cant separate them to paint. The rest of the chassis cant really be seen so,I compromised a little and went for a desticker and a fan ring to tie it all together.

Looking at it,im glad I went this way.

The largest thumb screws ever packed with a PSU!

[​IMG]

I also got to work on the peripherals,im still planning the graphics for these and the KB needs some low profile key caps but....its YELLOW!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankfully,that recessed Corsair logo is easily removable for paint! Masking recessed stuff is a pain!​

Last edited: 11 Oct 2014
  11. Hanoverfist

Hanoverfist Minimodder

Fans look great..Hell, the whole thing looks real good.
    I agree with Masking off recessed materials. Is a pain in the Ars.:hehe:

12. B NEGATIVE

Its coming along rather nicely,been a smooth experience so far...but....it aint finished yet and the hard bits are yet to come....

The tray is at a stage where im ready to send the parts off to the machinists,E22 for the Steel and PARVUM for the Acrylic.

Only a few little thing to do,mainly marking out cable guide screw holes etc.

First renders of tray with inbuilt res.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I like what you did with the PSU. Slick!

Will be interesting to see how the Mobo tray looks once it's done.

14. B NEGATIVE

All the fans gets the striped treatment and I had a go with a new white rather than black background,I also moved all my photo kit into the loft and added another light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much clearer and the yellow looks yellow!

15. B NEGATIVE

16. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Dude, this is amazing!
    I absolutely love when people put in a huge effort in the paintjobs! And youve really nailed it!
    Eventhough Im not a huge fan of open-air cases, I love seeing something new!
    Looking forward to seeing your progress! Definitely subbed!

siliconfanatic likes this.
  17. B NEGATIVE

Thank you Sir,paint has a habit of biting you on the arse if its tatty.its all in the prep,any monkey can spray top coat but if the prep is lousy it will show.

The trays are being pew pew'd by Nate@E22 as we speak and the acrylic is at PARVUM to be machined,should be a great update that should show off what I had in mind. :dremel:

18. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Yeah painting is hard work... I hate it when you have to go back and even out the mistakes with fillers and do all the sanding again. But its kind of soothing to just prep surfaces for hours :)

Sounds awesome! Youre lighting up that backplate with single leds on the insides?
    How did you do the paintjob on the armor? (sorry armour <3) just wet paint and a sheet of paper? :D
    Looking forward to the next update! :dremel: :thumb:

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I must say gunmetal and neon yellow is strangely arousing. It took me forever to spot the tape seam on your fans.:)

Also: ZERO Magoo.:lol: What? Is he too busy running North Korea?

20. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Neg

I just love your builds- even this neon sickening colour is strangely "right" if you knows what I mean :eeek::D

Just one small (read BIG)- by statute 16, Article 14a, paragraph 5 of the Moders Law 2012, it says that "any build log by said renowned and respected mode B Negative MUST by commonlaw include a minimum of 3 pictures of Magoo or the above stated will be subject to prosecution under article 1(b) false representation of said above forementioned legend, or by impersonating B Negative a minimum sentence of ridicule or forum ban for a period of 28 days

:D

Show me the dog dang namit