1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

While I appreciate the mostly humorous intent, another layer of us-vs-them partisanship is the last thing this whole clusterfudge needs.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thankfully I've managed to just about avoid all this hoo-haa with real life. I have heard just enough to know I don't want to know anymore.

Purposeful ignorance is purposeful bliss.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes but in a lot of cases it's the loin-spew of your generation that's responsible... so it's all your fault :p

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

My response got a little too long and I don't want to fill this thread with long blocks of text without demotes, so I pasted it here: http://wrttn.in/ce02db
    I didn't miss anything I think :thumb:.

---

I thought Tim Schafer's explanation of the costs was quite reasonable:
    https://twitter.com/SilverSam88/status/509645858066169856
    (if the cost was your main criticism that is)
    The second half is supposed to come out later this year.

---

[​IMG]

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I was being overly sarcastic / subtle perhaps- they are indeed acting in a totally unacceptable and borderline criminal if not totally criminal manner.

You seem to have ignored the issues I specifically pointed out and that are in fact, addressed specifically, unless you watched different videos or fell asleep. I guess you're just not interested so we'll leave it at that.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2014
  6. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Why are you so angry with Sarkeesian Neil ? Have you read the kickstarter thread ?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/245217

Where are the throngs of people demanding their money back or expressing disappointment over their wasted pledges ?

As far as I could find, not a single person who actually donated to it id now angry over it... And yet thousands of internet people are raging enough to make really serious threats against her life and her freedom, some claiming to be acting in defense of those poor scammed Kickstarters, who yet are silent and/or supportive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't think even you know why you are so angry at her. At worst she deserves to be ignored, even if she scammed money on kickstarter. There are people as we speak who have scammed millions of dollars out of hard working people, and there are zero hate campaigns against them.

She is one woman, who may or may not have scammed an insignificant amount of money, from people who willingly gave it to her, and that really aren't complaining, and yet here you are raging against that woman, and not against the person who threatened the worst school shooting in history because she was going to appear there publicly, or the person who threatened extreme violence against her and her family (called them nutters).

Quite frankly mate, you and a lot of other angry people need to grow some perspective and understand what is worth being mad about, and what is not, and who to direct that anger towards.

wolfticket likes this.
  7. SuicideNeil

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, I wouldn't squabble with Neil any more. It's like trying to argue with that smug guy who always thinks he's right. I can never tell if he's pulling people's legs or not. I much prefer to read Pliqu's comments.

Although I would like to say that Anita Sarkeesian's eyebrows officially creep me out.

9. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

No, no. I don't want to complain about costs, but it is a better example of an overpromise in my opinion than Sarkeesian's videos. What I was most disappointed with in the game was that it was so easy. Most puzzles were dialogue puzzles, and anything that wasn't was more or less explained in the dialogue. I like to explore in P&C adventure games. I like to go through all the dialogue options even when I know the solution so I can explore and enjoy the funny writing. Broken Age's dialogue and storytelling were almost nagging you to go and do the next thing to progress the game. It's like the game itself wanted it to be over already.

So yeah, too easy. I wasn't frustrated even once. The big reward for P&C adventures is feeling really smart when you finally solve a crazy hard puzzle. If the game itself is just one giant hint system that gets more and more obvious the longer you don't solve the puzzle then you never get that payoff.

10. SuicideNeil

Nothing to do with smugness, everything to do with facts being ignored even though they are right there, plain as day for everyone to see. I'm not going to keep reposting videos that address specific issues ( her lying about being a gamer & having to research into the subject she decided to QQ about because 'ALL' male gamers are sexist scum apparently, her promising to make indepth videos/articles on the subject and just posting fluff stories instead, her indeed getting her main detractor banned from twitter ) because obviously we have some ultra-feminists present who can't see how much harm she is doing to the community. I'd rather she disappeared up her own backside, then we can focus on far more sensible people and their attitudes towards feminism and equality ( ergo, men don't have to be emotionless hardasses & women don't have to burn their bras and hate men ).

In other news:

[​IMG]

hehehe...

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A healthy community cannot be harmed by the controversial opinions of one individual. The fact that there is a ****-storm of nutters who feel it's OK to react to their ickle little masculine feelings being hurt by threatening her and her loved ones with death, rape or public massacre tells me that the community is as ****ed up as she says it is.

Re: the picture strip: I once tuned into the Powderpuff Girls while channel surfing and saw scene 17. I remember thinking: "This is a children's show! Can they actually do that on a children's show?!?". I still don't know how they got that past censorship.

12. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

How? Pliqu3011totally nails it. I would be very interested to see some irrefutable proof out there but everything I've seen so far is either unfounded, based on questionable evidence, completly batsh1t insane, or just plain sadistic/sexist.

What's also demote is how many crazy yet determined people there are out there making up stuff. I wonder if the drive for this is really fighting for the power, or just that people want popular/successful YouTube channels...

Neil, your instant dismissal here and picture/meme response earlier come across as massively smug I'm afraid. It's like: 'I'm right, you're wrong, let's leave it at that because... reasons'.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2014
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

This thread is now truly demote.

14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've seen the clip of Sarkeesian where she more or less admits to "not really liking games. I'm not much of a gamer." That's not an exact quote, but it is the essence of what she says. The thing about this is that 1) It's an early clip, and people can not be 'footballers' one day and a little while later be 'footballers.' 2) Part of the argument gamer feminists have is that people should be able to define themselves as gamers. We seem to allow people to say they are into FPS, but not MOBAs, or RTS, but not Dungeon Crawlers and still allow them to self-identify as 'gamers'. Heck, some guy plays Flappy Bird with a passion, we won't stand in the way of the 'gamer' title.

But if Anita Sarkeesian wants to play games for 100s of hours as a way to look for sexist tropes? No, no, no. That's not a gamer. The irony is that we are proving her point that 'gamer' culture is sexist when we do this.

The argument that her videos aren't well researched is dumb because it tries to force an objective definition of "well researched" on people, when we all know that "well researched" can be a fairly subjective term. Specifically, in Sarkeesian's kickstarter pitch video she uses the term "well researched." From the context of that video are you led to believe that she will be conducting first hand, peer reviewed research? Are you even led to believe that she will be reading peer-reviewed papers as research? No. She says she is producing videos that talk about tropes. The 'research' required for this would be to look into the most common of these tropes found in video games, then finding games to use as an example. That isn't a deception on her part. It's at worst a misunderstanding on yours.

I hear Sarkeesian haters saying that he best thing feminists can do for gaming is make better games.

I'll use the same logic to say that the best thing these people should do, if they think Sarkeesian's videos are so awful, is make better videos. No, not contrarian videos, but videos about sexist tropes in video games and how they do or do not affect sexism in the real world. If her research is so bad then do your own. I haven't seen a single video made like this. All anyone has the energy to do it seems is critique Sarkeesian's work. Well, that and wage an all-out hate and defamation campaign against her. Use that energy and actually make better content.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Maybe moving the discussion to a different thread might be a good idea folks, people were too demoted last time it was in here. :p

16. SuicideNeil

[​IMG]

Denial is not a place in Egypt. Moving on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Please, tell me more about feminist equality ideals...

17. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

[​IMG]

---

I get perfectly what you're saying.

If there's one advantage to releasing a game in two halves, it's that the team can take the reaction to the first half into account. Since quite a large group of people said it was too easy, maybe they'll make the second Act a bit harder.
    IIRC Tim Schafer even said the second part would be harder in one of the previous DFA videos, so here's hoping he delivers. :)

---

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-dog-person-or-ant-person-1214

Last edited: 17 Oct 2014
  18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Haha, the GF liked that too. ;)

19. SuicideNeil

"A straw man is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of an opponent's argument."

However, it is not a misrepresentation, it is an almost perfect and undeniable set of truths based on real world observation and experiences, and not just mine to be perfectly clear ( show me a man who hasn't observed or experienced any of these situations and I'll show you a liar ). To be curt, equality works both ways so please, continue burying your heads in the sand and denying that women are just as discriminatory towards men as men are to women, albeit in different ways.

Anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Rofl @ finger prince

...and boy did I love Topanga :blush: