1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to cut seven per cent of workforce

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Ouch! Is there even that many jobs world wide after the last culling!?

Jokes aside.. dark times, even if issues are slowly being resolved it doesn't show much confidence for customers.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Feel sorry for those that have lost there jobs but not a big surprise with the struggles getting more and more. No mension of where the cuts will be not sure they have a sales team so guess it's real jobs that are going which can not be good for a company.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not 'alf. AMD's operating on a 35 per cent margin; for comparison, Intel is operating on a 65 per cent margin. That ain't good.

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Im sure the UK team will be fine, not many of them kicking about at the moment, itll no doubt be fab positions or perhaps sales personnel in developing areas that are slowing on that front now.

6. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

AMD only has 10000 employees. The cut is 7% of that.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Ah yes.. but still 700 jobs is still a large volume.

may want to change the title to over 700 jobs! lol

Less of an impact but not brilliant which ever way you look at it

8. Gareth Halfacree

How embarassing; I completely misread the Wikipedia page when I was looking up its current headcount. Now fixed - apologies for the confusion, all!

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

it help if they did not allow bobcat type cpus in full size laptops (E C E1 E2 G so on) as they are slower then the CPU in my mobile phone or a lot slower then core2duo (any of the currant intel CPUs even the low voltage ones are good to use) do windows update from clean install expect 2-5 hours if there are .net updates in there

why i just cant be bothered to explain much to customers over the phone if they are getting a laptop ignore AMD based ones(due to it been slower then your 8 year old laptop) get intel as you cant buy a bad intel laptop unless its a netbook then it have an atom in it (Intel do not allow atom in full size laptops, amd do they need to stop there OEMs from doing it as intel do)

and any thing above a A8 are generally ok (some A6 as well as long as they are clocked above 2ghz) and wish amd would stop with saying they are quad core when they are slower then a intel dual core (low ends) and there own K10 cpus

10. Troglodyte

Troglodyte What's a Dremel?

When he is released from the stocks swap his rig with a raspberry pi lol