1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blackscreen with evil white writing.....

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by amy0022, 19 Oct 2014.

1. amy0022

amy0022 What's a Dremel?

*noob here*

My ASUS laptop is popping up with a black screen and a few sentences of white writing that I know is not supposed to be there.

It lingers for about a minute or two before loading properly to the login screen. Below is a photo of the black screen.

I was hoping someone here could tell me what it is and how to fix the problem :)

Thankyou!! :thumb:

(I have no idea whether this photo link will work, first time doing this) :blush::duh:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Oct 2014
  2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

basically the machine isn't finding the harddrive to boot from, so it's going straight to boot from network device.

check bios, you should be able to see the hardrive listed somewhere if you can't, its failed.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So you say it does actually load though? If that's the case pop into the BIOS and change the boot priority so your HDD is first in the list and higher up than the boot priority of a network device.

Seems odd that it would just start looking for a network device to boot from rather than your hard disk.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

There should be an option in the BIOS called something like "PXE Boot" - make sure it's set to OFF.

5. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Doesn't seem like a HDD issue as he says it lingers for a minute then goes to the windows login screen.

Sounds either like PXE as Flibblebot said or a boot order issue, maybe disable boot from network and check to see if the boot from HDD is as the top of the boot order.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Yeah, I have a habit of speed reading and sometimes miss bits, sounds like the boot order is set wrongly, to boot from network first

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If it's not called PXE boot, it might be called LAN boot, or LAN boot ROM. It's usually next to the option to disable your LAN entirely, somewhere in Integrated Devices, I usually just turn it off unless I actually ever need to do a network boot (ie, almost never).