1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung releases 840 Evo performance fix tool

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I ran this when I heard about the fix last week and my read benchmark (within Samsung's own utility) went up from 990 to ~4000

3. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

Bah, ntfs partitions only even for the dos bad boot tool.

4. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

so this is safe to run then?

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Seems to be; Anandtech and others have tested it. Back up your data, as it has to rewrite them as part of the refreshing process (following the firmware update). You shouldn't lose any data and the process is said to be smooth (if taking a long time) but it's best to be sure.

6. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

Thanks

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

Can personally confirm this; both the long time it takes and the otherwise smoothness of the process!

8. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

+1 - Took about an hour and a half with my EVO 250GB and everything went smoothly.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ditto, Evo 500gb took awhile but everything is fine.

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

Interestingly in my case, I first ran the performance benchmark pretty much as soon as I had installed and cloned to my EVO, so the low ~900 read result (multiple tests on multiple days) was with data written well within the supposed 30-day window and I still saw the massive increase in performance after running this tool...

11. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

i thought the issue affected 840 basic's as well, ive just tried to use the tool with my 840 basic and it wont work. in your previous article it said that it DOES affect the 840 basic but not pro, does this leave us basic users not fixed?

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

MY 35gb used space went really quickly... does seem faster though.

13. acitodg

acitodg What's a Dremel?

Awesome, I have this drive in my gaming rig. I will have to try this utility and see how it helps.

14. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

I just got to be the first one to spot today's Garethism.

In the article authors name header..

Lol. Come on GH.

The evo 840 bug fix is 100% fixed my poor performance.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huh? If there's something to fix - and I'm sure there is - you'll have to be a little less oblique. The header with me name in it reads "Published on 22nd October 2014 by Gareth Halfacree" from here, which appears to be right t'me...

16. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Just run the application on my lappy and my rig, both Windows 7, 500gb and 1tb respective, took about 2 hours and everything seems fine now (not that I had any issues before). I noted that after the first restart windows detected the drives as new hardware and put up a restart option which I ignored since the restore app was already running, I would suggest it is not a good idea to restart while the app is running as it does complete fine if you do not.

The Magician disk manager did not suggest this update you must go looking for it on the support website, it requires a minimum 10% free disk space so I reckon do it sooner rather than later.

Just the EVO models for the app, not the old 840, its a confusing quirk of the samsung naming choice but the 840 and 840 EVO are actually different drives and the app specifically says it is for EVO models only. Have no idea if the issue is present on the old 840s.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  17. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Oh my bad GH, all this these years i always thought it was Mr Halfacre....My sincere apologies Man. lol

Off to Specsavers.

18. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Yeah, seems non evo drives ARE affected but haven't been fixed yet. Just read this on another source

"Samsung said its firmware upgrade addresses only the EVO line and not non-EVO 840 SSDs.

Some users on technical blog sites, such as Overclock.net, said Samsung is ignoring the issue on the 840 (non-EVO) SSD. Others were concerned that the firmware fix covers up the bug by simply moving data around the SSD.

That, said one user, means the drive "still is affected with the issue of slowing down when the system is off for weeks or out of the system for a weeks.."

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Well, that'd explain why I couldn't find the mistake, at least!

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Halfacree...

Half acree...

Half a cree.

Half a what?

My brain has lead me here:

So sorry.