1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Addison - Final photos page 6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 28 Aug 2014.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks man. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing things developed from their own experiences. I have fun watching you and others work.

Thanks! You're too kind. There's not a lot to see...yet.

[​IMG]
    Hit it with a couple of coats of brushing lacquer but I don't like the brush. I'm currently shopping for something more appropriate for this project.

[​IMG]
    It's all about the width and how much lacquer the bristles can carry. The brush stroke has to be one long continuous motion with an even application start to finish.

[​IMG]
    I made the mistake of editing my render to show black decorative elements instead of my standard aluminum. I thought it looked interesting and my people now prefer it. My wife says I'm not fooling anyone with the fake aluminum anymore. Maybe it's time to try fake plastic. Here I'm trying out different paints on different woods with some tape thrown in for S&G.

Life just got more complicated.

[​IMG]
    Glued up pieces of the bumpers. Talk about delicate. Sheesh.

[​IMG]
    Fitting the trimmed up bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Why not use your myrtle burl on the trim instead of fake aluminum? Your veneering techniques blow mine out of the water. I'm sure you can pull it off.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Metallic black then. that should throw them off.:D My grandma had a cabinet that the handles had been lacquered in a silver/black swirly mix. I guess they mixed the paint on water and dipped the part.

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Sounds pretty cool but I have a grille to build yet. It's called a waterfall grille. A lot of work yet to do. :thumb:

Sounds interesting. Are you sure it wasn't a Steinway apprentice screwing up big time? Whoops!

[​IMG]
    I use samples made up at Home Depot for this kind of painting. The interior structure will be painted this French Silver to help simulate the look of a painted steel chassis instead of chunks of lumber.

[​IMG]
    Taped off the edges where the outer shell makes contact. I've learned to not paint sliding surfaces because they usually don't slide very well after a layer of flat latex is applied. If the fit becomes sloppy from use I'll just hit these areas with paint and it tightens right up.

[​IMG]
    Bumper work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just to prove that these elements are still removable at this moment. Much easier to finish the detail work and paint when they are "off chassis".

[​IMG]
    Bumpers are finished and ready for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The waterfall grille has already been started. The grille will consist of nine vertical "slats" two of which are already placed in these photos. You can see them on the outer edges. The remaining seven will be equally spaced to span the top and front vent holes.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

5. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

The waterfall grill... I think I see how it's going to look. Will you make the slats individually, or cut a pair of sheets to size and then cut them from it? I assume the former, given the first two in place.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

7. bolous

bolous What's a Dremel?

too cool. i like wood mods. original! :clap:

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Really looking good now Jeff. I think all those delicate parts would have driven me insane putting them together.. Did you knock up a jig to hold it all together?

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

First slat straight down the center. Next two dividing the remaining space. Last four dividing the remainder. Mathematically pure. :thumb:

Noice! :D

Grazie mille

Thanks Jeff. Yes I used a jig. It's called the human clamp. Squeeze it together as hard as you can for as long as you can. Preferably while sitting in your easy chair binge watching Red Dwarf. :)

I think it is time to spill a few beans. Inspiration for this project is a 1940's Canadian radio made by Addison. The Model 2 is one of the most valuable and sought after collector radios in the world. It's main decorative feature is the waterfall grille which gives the radio its nickname...The Addison Waterfall. Two examples....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Painting the interior a color called Lava Gray. First coat. I'm avoiding surfaces that mate to the interior box because they have to slide against each other Also avoiding the mesh screen areas because they have a gluing event in their future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Actually this is just an excuse to interview a possible color for my external bits. I love Lava Gray because in my opinion it pairs perfectly with mahogany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Interior box painting continues. Areas taped off include future gluing surfaces.

[​IMG]
    Splotch is a shadow. Possibly a carpenter bee trying to supervise.

So the big question is color choice. Short list is Aluminum, Gloss Black, Flat Black, Lava Gray, Butterscotch and Lime Green. Yes....Lime Green. My good friend and insider Alfred Poor who has seen the final renders e-mailed me last night "Wow. I think you could paint it lime green and it would still look awesome." :D

Any opinions?

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Red dwarf. You have excellent taste . I love that show..

Looking at that radio. When I was a kid I had a big old solid walnut radio, probably dated back to the 40s, may have been older. I got it all working , but I would love to find something like that again and restore the outside and mod the innards. I do love the art deco look, hence why I always enjoy your builds.

Maybe one day when I have time I'll have a go at building something like yours. Just about 10 times bigger though.:D

11. Cheapskate

Love the thread subtitle.:D
    This log needs more love. My current campaign for you to use LIGHT BLUE demands posting here too. Did the Addison have "Brown Ketchup" for a color choice?

12. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I first read it as Buttercrotch. That has some interesting definitions on UD. :worried:

Art deco :rock:.

13. Cheapskate

Ug! Shinji, what did you just make me read!?! I just glanced over the top 3 gooble results... #3 was vile.

14. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Sorry, probably should have just kept that to myself.

Forgive me slipperyskip, I didn't mean to sully your log :(.

15. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

*shudders*

*shudders violently*

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm with Shinji... Not enough crotch in the title tbh :lol:

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I suspect there is some finely tuned auto-correct going on here. :eeek:

18. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Argh! Argh! Can we get back to gorgeous wooden creations please!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Me reading these last few pages:

[​IMG]

20. Cheapskate

Let's just agree the last half of page 4 doesn't exist.