1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Phobya cooling review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devastater6194, 29 Oct 2014.

1. Devastater6194

Devastater6194 What's a Dremel?

Today we have some items from Phobya which should help in making a cool quiet system. First off we have the Phobya NB-eLoop 1800rpm 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    The fan comes in a typical fan box blazoned with a picture of the fan surrounded by flames and the Phobya mascot watching over. You can also see the iF Product Design Award for 2013 in the corner and the logo showing it uses a bionic rotor to spin the fan in the other corner.
    [​IMG]
    The back is used to show off the specifications of the fan in German and English. It is a typical sized fan sizing at 120 x 120 x 25mm and weighing in at 125g. It uses a typical 12V and requires a minimum of 3.6V to start. As mentioned in the name, it spins up to 1800rpm give or take 10%. Where it gets impressive is when it pushes 68cfm at only 26dB! And it comes with a 3 year warranty in the unlikely event of your fan dying.
    [​IMG]
    The fan has 6 thick blades for strong static pressure on heatsinks and radiators. In the middle is the logo for Bionic showing a good quality motor used. I thing I have noticed is that the motor is half the size of the fans I use in my rig, Akasa Vipers, which should help reduce noise and create a smaller dead spot thereby improving cooling.
    [​IMG]
    To further help in reducing noise, on the back round the edge are these little pimples to help break up turbulence reducing noise. Also on the edge of the fan blades are these grooves which help to reduce turbulence and better direct air. One last thing to note is that the blades are all connected by an outer ring just inside the casing to reduce turbulence round the edge of the fan blades.
    On the housing, you'll notice 4 rubber grommets to decouple the fan from the case reducing noise. Seeing a pattern yet?

Next we have the Phobya TPC 4X fan and pump controller 30 watt, which as the name suggests, controls fans and/or pumps up to 30watts. This is controllers fts into a 5.25inch bay on the front of your case allowing you to turn your fans etc up and down depending on your needs.
    [​IMG]
    On the front of the packaging, we again have a picture of the unit along with the mascot and the name of the unit.
    [​IMG]
    On the back, we have the picture of the unit again as well as the name and mascot. However we also have the specs. It says it is made from aluminium, however, this is just the faceplate whereas the rest is made from plastic, although decent enough, to keep costs down. As mentioned, it is fits in a 5.25 inch bay, however as is standard with most fan controllers, it is not full length and may cause trouble with tool-less cases such as my Corsair Air 540 where the clip wouldn't lock in so it just sits in the bay. Provided you don't move it about too much, it should be fine but just something to be aware of.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the box you get some very nice instructions showing the specs, how to set it up and which cables go where etc.
    [​IMG]
    On the other side, there are lots of health and safety warnings. Yay. Plus a list of contents at the bottom so you can check you have everything to get started.
    [​IMG]
    Onto the back of the main unit, 3 different sets of pins. The ones on the left at the bottom are used for the 4 temperature sensors. In the middle at the bottom is the connector for power which plugs into a molex from your PSU. And last but not least, on the right are the four connectors for the fan cable adaptors.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the temperature cables. There are 4 provided and they are thin enough that you could fit them between the CPU and heatsink, another between your GPU and heatsink, maybe another to test temps within the case and a spare for outside the case or a second GPU maybe.
    [​IMG]
    Onto the front, you can see the screen takes up the majority of the panel, with 4 knobs underneath to control the speed of the fans. These allow you to power the fan with 7v-12v or just individually turn them off completely. On the right of the screen, you can see where the 4 temperature sensors are displayed.

Last but not least, we have Phobya's Nanogrease Extreme thermal paste and their Cleaning Kit .This is created for Extreme users for the best heat conductivity for CPU, GPU and even Chipsets.
    [​IMG]
    Included with the Thermal paste is a spatula to help you spread it on your CPU etc. This makes it extremely easy to create a thin even layer of thermal paste consistently thus improving temps. While I haven't been able to test temps properly against the MX4 I used previously, I have noticed that my temps are more even across cores in my CPU.
    [​IMG]
    The cleaner comes in a little bottle with a spout to stop the liquid all running out at once if tipped or knocked over.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the cleaner does an immaculate job of getting all the thermal paste of no matter how much you use.

Conclusion
    The ELoop fan can be bought for just under £13 in the UK or €15 in Europe. At this price, I highly recommend this fan. This fan is extremely quiet, even at full load and while other fans may push more air, they do this at the sacrifice of noise. If you want a silent fan while still pushing plenty of air, this is the fan for you.
    At just over £25 or €30, the Phobya TPC fan controller is an excellent buy at an excellent price. It will blend in with any aluminium case and looks pretty good on most black cases a well. And for a very good price, it is hard to pass this one up.
    The cleaning kit is literally a must have for anyone replacing thermal paste. It makes the job of removing the old stuff so easy. And at £3.42 / €3.99, it is literally a steal and I would definitely recommend to anyone.
    Finally the Nanogrease is available for just over £8.50 or €10. This performs well and comes at a great price. The spatula makes it easy to install and combines well with the cleaning kit.
    Overall the combination of these items will allow you to run your quieter and cooler at the same time. Plus they all come at a very competitive price meaning I would recommend them to anyone looking for peace and quiet while using their PC.

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

How much do Phobya pay you for this then?

3. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I was wondering the same thing. No review, just advertising. :D

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

An odd first post I am thinking.

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Not so much a review, more of an "unboxing", but, at least now bit-techers can see what's included in the box (in case they need to purchase any extras or supplementary parts). The fan controller looks impressive. Would have been nice to get a little info on how well the items work though.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

First post, lots of pics, no review and links to etailer sites.

Not to mention copypasta of the same to other sites.

I call BS, Mr Spammy McSpammer - kindly eff right off / go away in jerky movements

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014
  7. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Maybe they are trying to get into the reviewing game. No reason to be mean and curse at them.

8. David

If they want to get into the reviewing game, perhaps they should start by providing a review?

Did you actually read it, or did you just feel like getting pissy on their behalf?

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I will never buy another Phobya product after their connector design of their RGB lighting kit. Utterly useless.

10. doyll

doyll Minimodder

You seem to be the one with a chip on their shoulder. Chill and be nice. You might find it makes life much nicer. :D

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The Phobya NB-eLoop are re-badged Noiseblocker from what i can tell.

12. David

I have a chip on their shoulder? Try harder to be understood. You might find it makes life much easier. :D

13. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Moving on, Phobya isn't really a brand. Here's what they say about themselves:

14. Devastater6194

Unfortunately they don't pay me anything. I have no affiliation with Phobya what so ever. I do however get to keep the stuff :D

Didn't sign up to be a spammer if that's what you're implying :p To many awesome mods to check out to have time for posting :D

Magic fairy dust? What do you want to know? Always happy to take constructive criticism :D

What's wrong with it? Was looking at them but went with the NZXT one as the Phobya cables were always out of stock.

At least they are honest and open about it though. To be fair, it's not as though no company has ever rebranded and sold something on is it. This way you know the product is of a certain quality. Kind of how 80+ is to PSUs but over a wider range of products.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Must admit Tom I have never had any problem with this type of connection and most if not all my RGB lighting is this type.

17. Devastater6194

Well that must be annoying. Haven't had any problem of the sort with the products I received. Even the small connectors on the fan controller seem to be of a decent quality. Maybe it's just a batch or 2 that are defective. Wonder who the OEM is?

18. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Want some of the magic fairy dust !

Need to know if the stuff is easy to fit, how well it performs (in your honest opinion) compared to other bits of kit, temps and if there was any improvement over previous spec's. Lets face it, the marketing blurb is just blurb - People want your honest assessment of the products, if you would recommend it over similar items, stuff like that.

19. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I didn't post that as a negative, just a bit of info about who they are. But it's not like the 80+ rating on PSUs.

20. Devastater6194

No not exactly the same. What i meant was when you see a bronze PSU you know it is entry level/budget etc whereas when you see a platinum PSU you know it is top of the line. The way Phobya operate, you kind of expect a certain level of quality with each product.