1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup getting warm & discoloured

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Seb.F, 5 Nov 2014.

1. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Hi all

When I first set my system up, the cards (two titans) would generally not surpass 60ish degrees, the CPU 65.

Nowadays though, I'm finding that even playing world of warcraft I'm hitting 75 on the CPU and 70ish on the cards.

On a side note, whether this is related or not I don't know, but the colour of the water in the system has gone slightly orange/rust colour, only very slightly, but enough that I can see the discolouration through the white tubing.

I know the pump I have (an XSPC X20 bay res thing) isn't the most ideal, but with a 240 and 360 rad along with push/pull fans I'd have expected lower temps than that. The system is completely air free, I do know that.

Any suggestions?

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/130814-Corsair-540-Watercooled-SB-E-Build-Seb

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

You got an silver anti corrosion piece in the loop anywhere? I don't know what fluid it is but sounds like ti is probably rush that's causing the issue or if its mayhems fluid it could have broken down and caused a sediment to form on the inside of the rads hindering heat transfer.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's unlikely to be rust unless there's some very poor quality stainless steel in the loop. You have more than enough rad but which fans are you using and at what speeds? I'd expect the stock GPU temps to be substantially lower than 60ºC at load. Also that pump isn't known for reliability so it may have been failing/performing badly ever since you fitted it.

Other things to look for are blockages in the loop particulalry the CPU block, also rads clogged with dust bunnies.

4. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

I've got PHN stuff in there. No silver coil as I use Nickel blocks and apparently they react with each other.

The pump was kindly given to me by a member on here as I was strapped for cash

5. DarthBaggins

DarthBaggins PC Cannibal

I would say possibilities of a blockage or that your having a(n) algae bloom in your loop, when was the last time you tested the pH in your loop or even maintained it?

6. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

This ^

7. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Pretty much this,the chances of an Algae incursion of a magnitude enough to raise temps 10c is remote...

8. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Why specifically Mayhems? I'm thinking of using it in my project build and used it in my last rig. I did notice having used Blood red and then switching to Pastel Red (6 months each) that when i split the rig down the Primochill tubing was slightly discoloured. Sorry don't wanna hijack your thread, could this be heat saturation? Are those radiators (30mm thick 240 + 360 30mm) likely to be enough for 2x titans and a highend CPU ?

9. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

My tubing has gone from 'clear' to cloudy looking, is this the same sort of thing as mentioned above?