1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loricatus by shinji2k

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shinji2k, 9 Oct 2014.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Armadilo was the first thing that popped into my head when I started reading this, or maybe a mud guard. Fender to you lot) off a mad max style bike.

Either way I really like the way this build has started.

2. bolous

bolous What's a Dremel?

Oh god :eeek: it will be a great work!! we wait new upgrade!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

this is going to sound wacky, but how about adding something that wraps around the front with a 2-3" strip, and has 2 plates that are elevated a bit over the front of the side panels?
    I have a vague image of a sallet visor, or mercury wings in my head. Just a strong horizontal with a slight curve at the front would give it the needed sense of "movement."

4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Interesting [​IMG].

I've been thinking about some lotr elvish style accents on the inside, so I could do a piece on the front to kind of tie it all together. I saw another modder do some interesting metal etchings recently and I was thinking about incorporating some for decoration. But to match what is in my head would be quite the undertaking since there is so much surface area.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2014
  5. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

A bit of an update today!

I went ahead and countersunk all the screws.

[​IMG]

Cut out a bunch pieces for one side.

[​IMG]

After some bending and riveting and a lot of time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have mixed feelings at this point. At some angles it looks great and at others it's a bit wider than I would like. And it's more difficult than I imagined to get everything bent and lined up anywhere near close to where I want it. But I'll keep plugging away, maybe I can make it work.

6. Cheapskate

When in doubt: Take a photo, print it out 100 times, and start scribbling.:D You could also draw right on the plates if there's a line you want to change.
    It looks awesome, but I definitely wouldn't do the 2nd set all the way around. I wonder how it would look if you trimmed off a little off of each of the next 8 so it gradually tapered to nothing.

7. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

You know I considered something similar but dismissed it because of the extra layer of complexity. I pictured the plates starting out at the current size, but as it went towards the back each one would be slightly smaller with the last one being roughly half the size as the first one. Thinking about the problems I'm having getting them to fit together, having them taper down may actually help. I really didn't want to have to make 26 different size plates but it may come to that.

As always I really appreciate your suggestions. I purposely choose designs that are beyond my skill level so I can learn new things, so things rarely go smoothly. If had more experience I wouldn't be struggling so much. If I can just get these side panels figured out I think the rest will be a breeze. Well expect maybe for the waterblocks :rolleyes:.

8. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

This looks amazing. I am really enjoying seeing this progress. It looks amazing and I am really interested in how this will turn out.

9. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

It's been a long week. I had to work on my truck and replace our water heater, but I finally got some time to work on this. But the more I look at it, the more I don't like the current design for the side panels. It made the case too wide and was difficult to piece together. I've gone through several iterations and I think I found one I like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a 45 deg bend in the middle with one half concave and the other convex. I think it solves the problem of being too wide and it's piecing together easier. I'll sleep on it and hopefully I can finally make some progress. Of course these new pieces are really hard to make compared to some of the others I've tried, figures :rolleyes:.

10. leonetu

leonetu What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:

Closing my mouth now. Subbed!

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

This. Is. Awesome! :D

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking soooooo badass. :D:rock::dremel:

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Kinda reminds me of a pangolin. Pretty awesome. Do you have hardware or do you need some? There's a mini-ITX setup in the closet that will make me mod something if it doesn't leave. Just saying.

14. Cheapskate

It's getting pretty slobbery all around.
    More difficult + skill = awesome (not factoring in if it works.)

15. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Looking really good:thumb:

Whenever I see the title, I think of Locutus of Borg and wonder if Patrick Stewart's face will appear somewhere on the design :D
    [​IMG]

16. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

[​IMG]
    I really appreciate the offer. I'm kind of waiting until I have the main frame done to know exactly what will fit, so at this point I'm not even sure what I need.
    I'll get a mop.

I'm still not sure if this will work, I'm not 100% happy with it but it's getting closer. I know there is a perfect solution for it, hopefully I stumble upon it soon :worried:.
    As much as I like Patrick Stewart, I think an etched portrait would be a tad out of place :hehe:.

17. Laine

Laine This and that

Wow, this looks awesome! That's some real talent with the metal work.

18. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Does anyone remember that black and bronze driverless car that featured in Tomorrow's world in the 90s? The shape of this mod reminds me of it.

19. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    I'm more reminded of this fine gent.

20. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Could also be one of the iron clad boars from Dark Souls