1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This is really quite amazing. Can't believe I missed it. Subbed :)

Also, the deadline is my birthday, so, double win :D:D

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

And I thought I was late :lol:

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Argh! No no no, you guys ruined my idea...

I was going to wait until the new parts arrived and do some mega post with a competition and everything. Now the suspense isn't quite there. On the bright side, it shouldn't be long until there's that meaningful update, I'm hoping for Monday, fingers crossed.

4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I just noticed you won MOTM, congrats!

5. Maki role

Cheers Shinji! Loving how Loricatus is coming along, that armour plating looks fantastic.

6. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Thanks! I'm trying to give it some character, we'll see if I can pull it off :D.

7. Maki role

And like the phoenix...

It has been a tumultuous last few weeks to say the least. First up I'd like to thank everybody who voted for Loramentum in the September Mod of the Month Competition! As usual the standard was very high, so it was both surprising and heart warming to see this build get so much support.

Today I received the biggest pieces of the puzzle, thanks in no small part to Justin and the team at Parvum Systems. They kindly went out of their way to get these parts machined quickly and accurately so that I might have a chance at finishing the build before i53. I must say that they've done a marvelous job, the pieces look absolutely fantastic. You may also notice that they're now sporting the new and improved block design which manages to cut the weight by approximately 55%, which is quite a big deal if you intend on carrying this thing anywhere.

I've also been playing around with my new studio setup (currently living in the dining room table, at least it can be quickly rolled up). It's a hell of a lot of fun, although I've still got a long way to go. Hopefully this will mean over time my photos will improve too :) Next on the list are some soft boxes for the lighting and a vinyl backing (much prefer it to paper).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a sort of thank you to everybody who's been following this build I've decided to hold a small giveaway too! Up for grabs are an XSPC Raystorm CPU block (new and unused, even has the plastic peeling still on the copper side) and a Coolermaster Nepton 280l closed loop CPU cooler (kindly sent to me by Coolermaster EU).

To enter is simple, following very much on the theme set out by user Rakior in his fantastic desk build (seriously, check that out), simply ask a question and state which prize you'd be interested in. For the sake of variety, try to have a look to see if your question has already been answered in the thread before though. It can be about the build, modding in general, food (oh yes that's a good one), hobbies whatever, but a little relevance would be nice.

I'll be looking through and answering anything as we go along. I'll pick the winners randomly so as to remain fair. It's open worldwide, but if the shipping is excessive you may have to chip in on that front. Remember that this will be open across here, Linus Tech Tips and Overclock.net, again out of fairness. Good luck and thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Nov 2014
  8. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Holy moly. I'm late to this one too since I'm new to Bit Tech. My jaw hurts now, since it just bounced off the floor. :jawdrop: Amazing work Maki!!

9. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I don't believe this needs to be said but... please don't drop it again :p. It looks perfect, are you getting any flexing with the thinner panels and the extra cut-outs?

10. Maki role

Haha, I think if this one fell and broke too I would have to go into hiding :p

I haven't noticed any extra flex myself, the main plate is still 20mm thick in total so is very strong, with a further 5mm added on top.

11. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Is the weight savings all because of the new panel alone? Or does the reservoir volume shrink too?

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Hooray you can carry on!!!

It looks so smexy!

Now no time waisting with dropping stuff anymore, go and finish this baby ;)

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Awesomeness.

Hmm... Pretty sure this wasn't asked before, but how much fluid can the new panel contain? Not the whole loop, but the panel itself.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Cool. You got the new frame. :D

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?
    -I don't care about the contest, I just wanted to post that before Nexxo.

15. Maki role

Couldn't agree more :D

I actually don't know come to think about it. When I can next access the model I'll run some analysis to see what the internal volume is.

:naughty:

UPDATE!

Ahh it feels good to be able to say those words again in earnest.

This is what I wanted to post yesterday but didn't have time to finish. I spent the best part of last night and a fair bit of today tapping all the holes (despite removing so many, there are still a lot) and prepping the o-rings. They're now in and sealed, ready for testing. It's one of those updates that doesn't look particularly impressive, but takes a while.

Before I take the old one apart, I figured that my previous photo didn't really show the damage properly.
    [​IMG]

All spic and span.
    [​IMG]

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Damn, your stomach must have dropped like a rock when that thing broke! Great to see you turn that negative into a positive with the redesign though!

17. Maki role

Pretty accurate description there rofl, yeah it was a bit of an "OOOOOHHH SHIII" moment. Still, in a way it's worked out for the best, this new one is just so much more practical than the last one.

UPDATE!

So today I finished off everything I needed for the block to function, and did a test fill.  IT WAS A SUCCESS!  Not a single leak and unlike the last version, the air filtered out of the loop really quickly.  You'll obviously still be able to see all the little clinging bubbles here, but that's because it had only been running for an hour or so.  I used blue because it's a strong dye that's easy to see.  I'd have had to use pretty much the whole bottle of yellow to be able to see anything at all.  I'm also going to order some special washers tomorrow to replace the standard ones I'm using currently, I'll take some photos when they arrive, you may approve of them.

[​IMG]

18. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: That's just insane! So did you weigh it yet while it's filled? I'd be curious to know how light that is, and how much water it holds.

19. andrewadanza

andrewadanza What's a Dremel?

great work bro.. :jawdrop: love to use this work finished. :) :rock:

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Looks great man.
    Be carefull to run it with only a pump though. The water also cools the pump itself. So if you use a DDC the water becomes hot very quickly. Best is to add a rad in the loop even without fans.