1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Need a new chair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLDeadbolt, 10 Nov 2014.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Hey folks

After recently snapping the arms on my chair (that hold the backpiece in place - who the hell designs this crap) I'm in the market for a new chair.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Plusses would be:
    Tiltable
    Breathable (Would be in use for 12+hrs a day, so leather is out)
    Comfortable (as above)

Been looking at things like the Aroozi Enzo/Monza chairs, Miadomodo BDS 22, etc

Budget of at most £150

Cheers
    DB

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't have any recommendations, I'm in a random £100 Staples office chair that slowly leaks gas over time, but I'm loving the mental image of you having some sort of hulk rage and smashing the arms clean off your chair :hehe:

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just come back from Staples taking advantage of the new tram service in Edinburgh. I am glad I did as I got to try around 4 chairs. I have around £200 to spend as it is going to be a birthday gift.
    Decided on this one he Gotham Bonded Leather Faced Executive Chair, Black This chair was the most comfortable and had all I was looking for, tilt, ETC ETC.

So my advice is go your nearest Staples or Ikea and try some chairs out.

Edit: Just bought the chair, it will be delivered tomorrow but as it is not my birthday till the end of the month it will need to lie in it's box until then I am funny that way. :D

Last edited: 10 Nov 2014
  4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Their new senna chair is quite comfy. One I have now if I sit longer than a couple of hours feels like I spent ten rounds with Elton John

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I picked up a second hand steelcase leap chair from ebay that had been reupholstered and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made :)

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That was my second choice but after a thorough try out I think the Gotham's lovely tilt facility won me over.

I thought about going that route but I could not find one around me to try out and I was not going to buy one on spec.

7. GeorgeK

It certainly was a bit of a gamble (a £160 gamble if I recall correctly) but, given the amount of adjustments available, I don't imagine there'd be too many people for whom it wouldn't be comfortable once set up correctly. I spent about 30 minutes getting mine right but since then I've not touched the adjustments at all.

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I have a Buerostuhl24 Flyer 10 (approx £130) in my home office which is by far the most comfy chair I have ever sat in. It's got a strong padded seat which is coated in fully breathable fabric and has a mesh back. It feels very strongly built and feels like you can't break it without intentionally trying to do so.
    The only thing that may annoy some users would be the arm rests being solid and indented for your arms. If you have thick arms they won't sit in the rests properly and if your room is very cold then it won't be so comfortable, though you can buy cheap armrest cushions.

Before that I had an Eliza Tinsley Auckland Mesh (currently £127 on Amazon), still quite comfy with a nice full-mesh design but doesn't quite match the Buerostuhl24's quality for comfort and a sturdy build.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Good price for the chair George but I feel something like a chair needs to be bum tested first, for me anyway. It was when I started researching chairs that I became aware of the phenomenal prices that can be paid for these items, quite eye watering.

10. GeorgeK

They certainly can - I was very wary of buying one but I decided to give it a chance after sitting in some chairs in staples that were much more money and were terrible... It might have been £160 + £40 postage now I come to think about it - even still it's a lot cheaper than they are new. I can't find out what they cost new but I have a figure of about $800 in my memory from somewhere (what's that - about £600 once you covert to £ and add on VAT)

11. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Yes, Leap's are around £600 new. We've got a couple at work so I've had the pleasure of sitting in one. I was going to be picking one up on eBay at the end of the month, early Christmas present to myself. My current chair is destroying my lumbar region but I could sit in a Leap all day.

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

13. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Probably should mention that I'm after something with a high back/headrest, not an office chair, but cheers for the lists so far.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You can buy new gas struts on Amazon. Not difficult to remove the old one but, you will need something like a Stilson to twist the upper part out of the socket. A hammer is all you need for the lower part of the strut.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Cheers man. I'll have a look into the complexities involved but will probably lean towards the inexpensive jubilee clip option as recommended to me via pm by Big Elf :)

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Oh, and Shirty, I don't rage smash my belongings (even though sometimes you'd feel justified doing so xD).
    I'd had the chair for 6+years, and my brother had it for a number of years previous to that (he left it when he moved out).

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So what sort of chair do you mean?

19. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Something akin to this or this; as apposed to this or this

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've got a Herman Miller Aeron (second hand). Pricey, even second hand, but never looked back.