1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

this project is all kinds of awesome :)
    i like that you didn't give up and looked destiny in it's cold, damp, face...
    in short: i think this is a project that needs to happen

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

No leaks. Happy days!

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Gah I knew I forgot to do something. However, I did remember to weigh the fluid this morning when I drained it, there's roughly 450ml of coolant in there without the radiator and blocks.

Thanks! :D

Don't worry, well aware of the fact the pump adds heat into the loop. I did a quick back of the envelope sum that told me that if the pump were running at full tilt 18W and dumping all that heat into the loop with no heat loss, I'd have to run it for about 1 1/2 hours to begin to reach worrisome temperatures. Pair that with how the pump wasn't running near that, then it would have been good for a few hours running, only had it going for about 40 minutes to get the air out.

Hehe I quite like that line for this project, wasn't going to let a silly thing like starting over get in the way eh?

No kidding, very happy days indeed, paired with the Halo. Master Chief Collection release today and I'm a happy camper. Just goes to show how good the job you guys did is. Also highlights the utter rubbish that some other machinists quoted me, especially regarding how their material wouldn't be flat enough to ensure it worked.

4. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Ouch that hurt dude.. :hehe:

Well done dude, REV2 looks awesome! :rock:

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The words that spring to mind are SH*T HOT Maki :D :thumb:

That truly is EPIC!!!

6. Maki role

Oops I'd actually forgotten about how the piece you received for the original genuinely wasn't flat enough :blush:. But then I only forgot because you know your stuff and simply said "it's not quite flat, so I'll plane off a mm or so, is that fine?". These other guys I mentioned (this was for the second revision block btw) said they didn't know if they'd be able to ensure flatness at all. I don't see how their entire business involves cutting layers out of material, but they couldn't figure out that taking a thin, uniform layer off would make it flat? The amount of umming and aahing just put me off completely.

I'm still a little sad that the work you put into the first block has now been sort of wasted. Oh well, at least it was a good learning experience.

:rock:

7. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

Digging the progress!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product :thumb:

8. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

never give up, never surrender!
    walk softly, and carry a big dremel...

9. Maki role

Thanks Jeff

And a good ol' box of cheesecake for good measure

UPDATE!

So today I got all the mounts in for the hardware, along with cleaning out the inside of the waterblock in preparation for filling. I'll be working on the tubing tomorrow, along with maybe the wiring. Speaking of which, I had the rather unpleasant task of drilling a 22mm hole through the block so that I could add the on/off switch, was a little nerve wracking to say the least. Still, it went smoothly, the list of things left to do is slowly shrinking :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. andrewadanza

andrewadanza What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: so good looking bro.. :clap::thumb:

11. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

It really is looking amazing, but seriously andrewadanza... dat full post quote...

OT: I came to this one late but am champing at the bit to see the wiring in. It looks amazing. Sorry if it's already covered elsewhere, but did you need to add any strength support to it or is the main laminate sufficiently rigid not to flex once the hardware's mounted?

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I love it. So Original, so well thought out. Great colour scheme. Looks absolutely classy.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Superb, every detail looks awesome. :clap:

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Having soo much deja vu...:clap:
    Remember not to "spike the ball before the touchdown." (No sexual translation, please.)

15. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Looks good,something a bit different.

16. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

Pure class. Can't wait to see that loop filled!

17. Maki role

The main block itself is actually remarkably strong, 20mm acrylic is pretty substantial stuff.

Cheers man!

Thanks Wayne! Love the LAG update btw, that new case is so stylish.

No kidding, I'm still terrified that something will happen to it before completion again :/

Different does seem to be the order of the day, really looking forward to seeing how your block turns out too!

Thanks Azazel, I was actually planning on doing that today, but I messed up on the last tube. My fingers are in too much pain right now (I hate you knurls!) so I'll get to it tomorrow instead.

In other news, EKWB has featured the project on their Facebook page! It also seems to be doing rather well on Twitter too, didn't expect that.

18. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

My god, that looks amazing! :jawdrop:

19. Maki role

Thanks Bartacus, from here on in, let's hope it only gets better :rock:

UPDATE!

Been working on the tubing, which I must admit took much longer than I expected. I have a small graveyard of 90 degree bends that weren't quite right now, didn't want to have the faintest bit of kink in any of them. Turns out the thin walled acrylic tubing kinks far more easily than the thicker stuff I used to use.

I also shortened the wiring on the pump itself, little job but it makes a bit difference to the overall look on the back. Just a case of taking it apart, shortening, sleeving, drilling a larger hole and putting everything back in. Swapped the molex connector too, the translucent one that comes with the pump simply had to go.

My fingers are a little numb from all the tightening, but things seem pretty solid. Looking to get the remainder of the wiring and a leak test done over the next couple of days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

I haz to see this filled!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)