1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

And soon it shall James. I've ordered some more coolant so I can experiment with a few ideas, if one in particular works out then things might get really interesting.

2. Maki role

UPDATE!

Armed with 2 gallons of distilled water, I decided to have a go at playing with the coolants. To be honest, it sounds more exciting than it was as I found the coolant colour I wanted pretty fast. It's very similar to sunset yellow, I would have picked that exact one up were it in stock. Any more orange didn't look yellow enough, any less looked a bit anaemic.

You may also notice that I picked up some Aurora 2 concentrate. Unfortunately it looks rubbish in the shade of yellow I'm looking to use, not nearly enough contrast. It's great for deep colours like punchy blue, red, green or even black, but light yellow just looked like urine really. I was about to take a photo for you but in an effort to darken it a bit, I added half a drop of red. Well that took over making it a vivid orange, again, not very interesting photo wise there. I'll probably use it in a future project, IMO Aurora can look damn fantastic in the right colour and setting.

She's all filled up now. I'm really pleased without how easy this build is to fill and drain. I'll go over the details of the systems in a big update in a few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tomorrow I'll try and get all the wiring done and hopefully the last few details on the flight case too!

3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Orange juice is epic :D

4. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

YES!!!

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

It looks great! Is it even possible to even resemble a gold colour with coolant? I thought Mayhems did a gold one.

6. Maki role

It looked so drinkable when I had it in the glass rofl, good thing it smells pretty bad close up though

:rock:

I believe they're still working on it? Certainly that's what searching up their liquidmetal coolant yielded, haven't heard much about it since 2012 I must admit. Still, Aurora 2 was being worked on back then and it's only just made it to shelves.

I experimented with a few ideas when I was rendering concepts, the "orange juice" colour definitely looked the best out of the ones I tried, the others were either too pale or too orange. TBH I'd be a bit hesitant about using liquidmetal anyway even if it was available, it seems to be quite dark? One thing that's really cool about the normal pastel is how it's got that translucency that makes it appear to glow a bit, liquid metal probably wouldn't show up that well in this particular setting I reckon.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

If you are interested in it drop Mike an email @ Mayhems. He is able to show you how to reach certain colours with mixing and can sometimes help with "special" mixtures for mods and photosession.

9. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Looks great to see it filled. Indeed sometimes Mick can help. Usually his time scale can be very as and when however.

10. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

This is awesome! That yellow coolant looks great imo. I wouldn't change it.

11. MR K4PT1V4T3R

MR K4PT1V4T3R What's a Dremel?

Wow awesome build! I want the Orange juice with a full english breakfast!

12. Maki role

:thumb:

I did consider it, but I'm really quite happy with how it's turned out currently. I'll definitely think about it for my next WC project though, could go for something a bit unusual maybe?

That was the other reason. My previous experiences with them is that they're busy, so I'd be best approaching with a fair bit of time left.

I agree, I really quite like it now.

Proper way to start the day for sure :rock:

13. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

A Full Scottish is braw :thumb::D

14. Maki role

I felt suitably inspired:

[​IMG]

15. MR K4PT1V4T3R

MR K4PT1V4T3R What's a Dremel?

ewww BLACK PUDDING! :nono:

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Damn, I'm hungry. Didn't had time to eat for lunch :'(

17. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

You mis-spelled "Oh my good ness, yes please, BLACK PUDDING!".

That photo gives me the right raging food horn.

18. Maki role

You mean the food of the gods no? By all accounts black pudding shouldn't taste good, but it just does, although it's only worth picking up the high quality stuff.

Does make dinner better though?

Hear hear!

MEGA UPDATE!

Well this is it folks. It's been one hell of a journey with many ups and downs (some seriously low points), but I wouldn't trade it away lightly. The amount of support this build has garnered from the community has been astounding, finally winning a MotM being the icing on a rather rich chocolate cake indeed.

I'd like to thank everybody who's followed this build from the start, along with everybody who joined along the way. Also a big thanks to my sponsors EKWB who provided almost all of the watercooling parts for the build, it certainly would have been a much slower affair without them. I'd also like to thank the team over at Parvum Systems who managed to get a new block made so quickly, and of course a thanks to James (Phame) who made the original one that sadly now sits in my room as a grim reminder of the cost of carelessness.

[​IMG]

First up, the final update:

Tidied up all the fan wires, much neater only having one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Felt that the radiator screws needed a bit of sprucing too.
    [​IMG]

And now for the main event!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rig is all up and running safely. I'd have grabbed a few pics of it pushing some pixels only every place I could use is a bit of a heap right now thanks to trying to frantically finish the build. Going to be a bit of a cleanup job for sure.

19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Both unique and absolutely stunning Maki :thumb: :clap:

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

CUT THE BLUE WIRE! CUT THE BLUE WIRE!!!

Er... nice portable rig you got there... :worried: