1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Galax GeForce GTX 980 SOC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Nov 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I can drop £800 on a single card GPU if it is impressive.

This is not impressive, 7 fps more than my 780ti. whats the point?

Double cards, SLI, that is not gong to work with the up coming rift CV etc.

I want to see a HUGELY impressive card to budge me, to move me from the 780ti, and I will pay for it like a ton of other people.

No one is interested in power savings and so on, so it cost me £50 a year if that to run the ti over a 980 etc.

GTFU.

Nvidias job is to impress me, not tell me my energy bill is too high by £10 a year.

This is all just a ruse all the good new GPU technology is waiting to be released.

NOT BUDGING FROM THE 780 TI until a good reason comes along and the 980 even OC version is a complete waste of my time.

?

Wake me up in 12 months already.

3. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I don't like the idea of hot cards that blast the air inside my case. I have a nice low temperature in there even with a good CPU overclock, I wouldn't want to mess it up with a graphics card. Not that I can justify buying something like this anyway. I would spend that much if it got nearer 60fps at 1440p but if even current games are hovering around 40fps it makes me think I should hold out for something a bit stronger. I read AMD have a new generation of cards due early next year, maybe that will do the trick.

4. BLAMM0

BLAMM0 What's a Dremel?

I think let's wait and see what 2015 brings :)

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am sorry but your complaints are that of an idiot. You are comparing two complete different levels of GPU. It would be more correct to compare the 980 with the 780, NOT the Ti which came out even after the Titan did. nVidia haven't finished with the 9xx series yet so there are going to be more powerful GPUs on their way, no doubt.
    Just using the Unigine Valley benchmark for an example, this card is over 34% faster, uses significantly less energy to do it and cost over £100 less than a stock 780. As a direct comparison I find that pretty mind blowing.

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Funny, that's just what I thought when I bought a 780, an extra £100 for a Ti with not a lot of gain, pointless waste of money, that was twelve months ago and now even the 970 is a match for my 780 also it's cheaper on release and now really makes the Ti's that are still for sale look way over priced!

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I kept saying that and ended up with a GTX 8800 for years, then tried playing Crysis, bought new GPU :idea:

8. BLAMM0

BLAMM0 What's a Dremel?

I wanted one this year, but then money has gone elsewhere, then I thought, well, my 560ti plays Starcraft II and it's ok. After that Alien:Isolation is also fine... Then the 9xx series came out from nvidia. Now I see, that getting a 770 would've been not that optimal :worried:

So the waiting and reading continues :D

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I played Crysis with my 8800gtx :) But I only had 1680x1050 back then so it ran fine. Now I have 2560x1080 which is a big problem for me, and the Rift is going to be even higher. I hope some fast cards come out next year. I've had Arma3 and Watch Dogs for many months but don't like playing them with low settings. I need a new card but want to get the best I can as a single card.

10. Teabag_Terry2

Teabag_Terry2 What's a Dremel?

I installed this card into my ageing 2600k rig. Overclocked my CPU to 4.9, left the card at stock and am blown away by the performance. Heaven 4 is producing crazy numbers at 1080p. Yes this card cost me 150 quid more than a 970 but the overclocking headroom is massive, I amconfident that I won't need to upgrade for a very long time indeed. IT hasn't even gone over 65 degrees yet! A BEAST of a card.

Tags: Add Tags