1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung partners with AMD for FreeSync UHD monitors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Only four months to wait until a direct comparison can be done between the two then :)
    I do hope FreeSync doesn't end up being a big let down, technical details seem to be thin on the ground. Like is FreeSync a fully variable refresh rate or does it just switch between predefined refresh rates, is it going to add to the cost of a monitor.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I understand that they will want to go after the elite gamers first but is there any news/likelihood that anyone will bring either tech to 1920x1080 Monitors?

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

There's quite a good interview over here.

Not sure if there will be steps between rates but the tone of the interview suggests that if they exist they're nominal.

Also is stated that "no expensive or proprietary hardware modules" are required so it shouldn't add much in the long run?

I agree though, it's still a little light on specifics but the open source, royalty free nature of it appeals to me.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

From your quote above though, does this only work with AMD cards? That will lock you into their products given you'll have just paid £x00 for a new 4K screen.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Nice find, thanks enbydee.

Going on the info from the interview it does seems 1:1 would mean refresh matched to frame rate, all the way from the minimum to the maximum in 1Hz increments.

Although i do find it odd that they say no expensive or proprietary hardware modules, yet they are working with scaler makers to implement FreeSync, it just seems strange that Nvidia's way of doing things costs around $100 in hardware but FreeSync isn't going to add any extra cost, i guess it comes down to what Robert Hallock classes as "expensive"