1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Stock AMD R9 290X Coolers / FANs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnasher666, 24 Nov 2014.

1. gnasher666

gnasher666 What's a Dremel?

I have two Sapphire Tri-X R9 290x's and they are too noisy for me and have been waiting on the release of the Corsair HG10-A cooler kit.

It's now been reviewed on here and I find out it doesn't come with the stock AMD fan, which makes sense as it's a replacement for reference coolers, although my card is a reference PCB card so the HG10-A should fit.

I'm now in the need of two stock AMD cooler fans, any ideas if they are available to purchase anywhere? Flebay doesn't have any or my search terms aren't picking up what I'm looking for :)

thanks all

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Not that I've looked into it in detail but isn't the idea that you use the existing fans from your existing coolers?

3. gnasher666

they are not the same size / type etc so that isn't an option

4. GeorgeK

I've just looked at a picture and I see what you mean... Also had a look on Corsair's website and it just states "Does not use AMD's reference cooler and requires an additional aftermarket blower fan for operation." Helpfully it doesn't actually say where to get one of these...

5. gnasher666

reading bit-tech's review, it suggests you do use the AMD fan, you remove it from the stock cooler and install into the Corsair HG10A.

When looking at prices, the HG10A £30, closed loop water coolers £60 - £100 depending on what you go for so was hoping I'd be able to pick up the required fans for no more than £5 each.

Maybe I should sell both Tri-X's and grab a R9 295 instead, or two 970's or save up a bit more and get 2 980's. Problem is I like supporting the underdog :)

6. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

the stock cooler was a joke, so loud and noisey.

NZXT Kraken G10 and a corsair water cooling unit. It mad a difference temp wise was huge and abit quieter too

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Does the Tri-X use a reference PCB? If not then the HG10 is not compatable.

8. GeorgeK

I don't think that it does but it is on the list of compatible cards on the Corsair website (it's compatible with some non-reference designs)

Edit: Maybe it is a reference PCB with a non-reference cooler on it... Anyway, it's definitely on the list here (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-hg10-a1-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket) if you click on Tech Specs

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I thought the Tri-x used a reference design while the vapor didn't, but that's just what I thought. How's the Tri-x too noisy? Is it the the air noise or do the fans make a specific noise? Just asking because I read that the Tri-x fans/cooler has an annoying habit of vibrating hitting the heatsink making a rather irritating noise.

10. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

The Tri-X does infact use a reference pcb and has Hynix memory. The Vapor-X uses a non reference pcb and also comes with Hynix memory.

11. Pookie

Great, but where to get a reference fan for the HG10? Have AMD coolers always used the same fan throughout the years or has it change in size and RPM etc? If not then it should be dead easy to get one off the bay.

12. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

I'm not sure 100% sure Pookie, but i think we've used the same reference fan for a while. My recommendation would be to look for spares on Ebay for 290/7970/6970. I've seen people sell just the shroud/fan before.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You could put a wanted post in the market place. There may be those who have gone for a full cover block who could sell you their fan. Or one off a dead card maybe.

14. Pookie

Ok i'll just come out with it! What were AMD thinking when they designed the 290x? If I recall my reference 6950 cooler had a vapour chamber system by default. It must be a little embarrassing (not for you personally of course) that corsair is making money selling a bracket to fix AMD cards.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I suspect most people buy cards with 3rd party coolers regardless of whether or not the reference cooler is good/bad, so why spend extra money designing a good cooler when the partners will do that anyway? Not saying that's the right approach, having a poor reference cooler screwed them on the benches since the cards throttle and most places will always refer to reference cards for future reviews instead of a card that can properly cool the gpu. They should have done what nvidia did with the 970 and not bother having a reference card.