1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European Parliament votes for Google break-up resolution

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it still a monopoly if you have achieved your market dominance via customer choice ?
    Hypothetical speaking, if everyone buys my cheesecakes because they're really tasty and everyone else makes icky cheesecake, is it my fault that people can't match my cheesecake making skills ?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not your fault, but you can easily comply with the break up by spinning of each different flavour into its own company, then have a company outside EU jurisdiction that is the majority shareholder for all of them, essentially rendering the break up meaningless.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2014
  4. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

How are search engine makers going to make money if they can't have "other commercial services"?
    I guess we would end up having to pay per search done or something like that.. goodbye free search engines?
    -Jacob

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the same could have been said about internet explorer, but the eu ruled on that as well

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No. Internet Explorer was bundled with Windows. The argument there is that Microsoft abused the dominance of its OS to push IE and hammer the competition.

7. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

How about duckduckgo they do not harvest your data nor do they manipulate your search

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'm not saying you're wrong about DuckDuckGo, but I don't believe ANY company any more.