1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Pictures breach leads to P2P film leaks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Oh dear what a shame :hehe:

Hacking is something I don't agree with but this just makes me laugh, you would have thought after the previous breach that they would have upgraded there security.

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I've been following this story and still don't get why Sony is considered more deserving of this treatment than many of the other multi national corporations. Can anyone enlighten me ?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For those with a long memory, it's probably a result of the Sony rootkit scandal. Long story short: Sony BMG (not Sony Pictures, mind) sold a bunch of non-Redbook 'Audio CDs' that quietly installed a rootkit onto Windows machines when inserted into the drive, with no warning or user interaction required, as a means of attempting to curb home copying. The public, naturally, were not impressed.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not that any reason is justified as I'm guessing any old excuse will do.
    But along with Gareth's reason it may also have something to do with when they pressed charges against George Hotz, who reverse-engineered the PS3 so that it could run unapproved third-party applications.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We don't know there weren't attempts to hack other "more deserving" targets. Perhaps they made more than a cursory attempt to beef up their security and the hackers moved on to easier targets?

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I've always thought of sony as an extremely hypocritical company, sony have never had a problem making billions of £££'s from selling blank recordable media to the masses, (did they really believe it was all being used for recording original music and home videos!) but when sony get involved in video games, music and films they get all self righteous about piracy and along with root kits and the total contempt they have shown for their subscribers personal data, it's not surprising some people hate them enough to hack them.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2014
  8. rollo

rollo Modder

Sonys problem is they dont make money, They have only made 1-2 proftable quaters in 8 years. They are due to lose another $2.1billion this year alone. Sony is like Apple without profit, Good revenues 7-8 trillion yen this year alone, But no profit they are expected to lose 130billion yen this year.

In the last 4 years alone its lost 1 trillion yen. (Around $10billion in 4 years, they have around this in cash also)

Its Smartphone tablet and tv businesses have all seen tripple didget million dollar loses.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sauce?

10. rollo

rollo Modder

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's not really a source, is it. It's just like saying 'the internet'...

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The problems of Sony are common knowledge. Analysis (not to say idle speculation) suggests that the problem is really commoditisation of quality AV gear - a blu-ray player is a blu-ray player, after all, and even off-brand TVs are now pretty decent. And that's before we consider the situation of online distribution. I fear Sony may rue the day they sold the Vaio brand.

But let's not claim the company doesn't have problems. It does. Their bank balance is effectively a random eight-digit number with a minus sign in front of it.

P

13. David

Where do those two links point to your statement about sony only having two profitable quarters in the last eight years? You aren't known for the veracity of the so called facts you pull from thin air, and this is no different.

Certainly, Sony had a torrid time in 2011/2012 and are expecting a huge hit this year (I'm guessing due to the costs of the PS4 - if the old tale about them losing heavily on the hardware to make it up on games revenue is true), but come on, keep it believable.

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Thanks for the replies folks sorry I took so long to reply, every time i tried to get to the comments I kept getting an error message.

I did a little more reading and also found out that the hackers may be Korean and were doing it in retaliation for an upcoming Seth Rogen/ James Franco film due around xmas (The Interview). So I guess plenty of people have different reasons for trying to get payback.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Cheers Dave.

I was getting beyond miffed with everyone saying it was (or could be) payback for the rootkit. Which happened a decade ago, was a different part of the company, cost them money in various countries, had a massive negative impact on their brand, and led to the buyout of BMG. Oh and resulted in the removal of all copy protection in their music. It just seemed like incredibly lazy journalism to say this was even likely to be a reason, as there was no evidence, demands were made (what demands could be made regarding the decade old rootkit?) and especially when most 'hacking' is to highlight current situations with corporations and politics.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Were demands made ?
    Everything i have read says no demands were made. :confused:

17. David

This would suggest there were:

[​IMG]

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And those warnings and requests were ?
    I have seen claims that they are monetary demands, staff equality, but nothing definite.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Woah, woah, woah. I said in my comment that the rootkit might be a reason why members of the public might consider Sony 'more deserving of this treatment than many of the other multi national corporations' in direct and quoted response to Dave Lister's query. I did not posit it as a potential motivation for the attack, nor did I even mention the rootkit in either the original article or this latest update. I might be too lazy to exercise, but I'm sure as ess-aitch-one-tee not a lazy journalist. I'm also not sure where you're getting 'everyone was saying' from: aside from my comment, the only other person in this thread to even mention the rootkit was Umbra.
    Source? 'Cos last I checked, the ovewhelming majority of cracking (not hacking) was for financial gain, not to make a political statement. You think that the several hundred attempts to log in to my home SSH server with invalid usernames in the past 24 hours had a political motivation?

20. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Seems Kim Jong-un might not have forgiven sony for their root kits either, or maybe I read it wrong?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2014