1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel NUC Case Design Competition 2014

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Combatus, 1 Dec 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Your timing is awful. I'm out.:(

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Same here, I'm afraid. Just before Christmas is never a good time.

Moreover deadlines are too short: three weeks to come up with a design, and then eight weeks to build it? I'm an artist, sir! A creator of mods. My work cannot be rushed! :p

4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Hmm...

I really shouldn't, but...

Hmm...

5. Combatus

Oh shucks fellas. Comon, you got three weeks - not even a paper sketch? You can't be doing that much Christmas shopping can you? :)

Re: the build phase, there is scope to extend this if needed so if 10/12 weeks starting early January instead of eight would help then we can negotiate! Unfortunately it is more your average modding competition here, though - we'd love to give you six months but it's just not feasable. Some only get 24hours so we're pretty generous ;)

6. MP-customized

MP-customized i don't know where i am going, but i am on my way

Ach hell I'll give it a try...just for fun :)

7. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I'm quite interested in this but I've only logged my current build which is unfinished, is it worth me applying?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's not shopping; it's work. In the NHS the month up to Christmas is an absolute ball buster. And that's on top of the winter pressures which started in September this year.

9. Combatus

No worries Nexxo, I jest, I understand completely.

10. Simon1982

Simon1982 What's a Dremel?

A case based on the engine of a star destroyer, now that would be something...

11. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

So I'm guessing these will be using ~15W TDP Broadwells? Just thinking about my cooling options.

12. Combatus

PM me or drop me an email at the address in the article ;)

The actual model hasn't been announced by Intel yet, but I can confirm that like most current NUCs it does have a SATA port.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The only reason I'm on Bit is because I'm eating. I've farmed out my Christmas shopping to my sister.:lol:

I do look forward to seeing what someone else does with the NUC. Someone should PM Waynio, btw. If he can crank out a MATX case in a day, he can do another NUC easy.:D

14. Pvt_Ryan

Pvt_Ryan What's a Dremel?

Bit disappointed you require 1 previous project to your name. I had thought this would be a great way to start with something small even if it didn't get past the 1st stage..

15. Combatus

Unfortunately we need proof that you're able to build a high quality project in a comparatively short timeframe, especially as Intel will be shipping a box of expensive gear so it's right to have high expectations too. It won't be the last competition we do, though, we do have more planned for next year that are a little more flexible!

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have a great design in mind, but no previous build to show :blush::blush:. Anyway, good luck to the competitors :dremel:

EDIT: Could we send you 1 design, even if we have no previous build ? I think it would be nice to share all the ideas among our community, even those that can't enter the competition due to a lack of previous finished project. Some kind of NUC case design collection, gathered on a single page / thread :D

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Dec 2014
  17. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Well, even though my first documented build isn't finished I'm going to submit a design anyway, I figure if they like it enough they may accept it anyway and I might have finished my current build by the time they look at it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. Combatus

Here you go! CLICKY

This is a thread just for you designers out there who are not intending to enter the competition to build a case. Please don't post your designs in there if you DO intend to enter them.

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks a lot Sir! That very much appreciated.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Would love another go at this but my imagination seems to be at a low point so I might pass on this one unless I have a random burst of creativity, could happen.

quizz_kid already won this on his latest. :D