1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Imagination launches Creator CI20 SBC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant. If it exposes the I2S pins and accepts external clock then it all sold.

This looks really nice and the price is correct. I'm pretty bored with the x86 architechture and something different is always welcomed.

EDIT: I want a parallella too. Please dear Santa Clauss, I've been very nice this year.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a load more about it on eLinux, although I note that says 8GB of NAND flash where the press releases says 4GB. Looking at my press sample, it's a 64Gb Micron module and while there's the possibility that the release model differs slightly I note the family isn't *available* at lower densities. Better go fix that in the article!
    The Parallella is all kinds of lovely. I've got the mid-range version, with video output but the smaller FPGA. Can't remember if my review has been published yet... <checks website> No, must be due to appear in next month's Custom PC.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2014
  4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Yes, been checking the details on this site. Even the site of it look nice. Could be easily embedded inside a keyboard :blush:.

I'd like the headless version as it would be to toy with distributed computing. But first of all, I need the new tiny raspberry pi A+ with a DAC shield (HAT compliant) to finish my first audio project. Wanna use it as a tiny network attached media player (with Volumio or Rune audio, can't make up my mind yet).

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say MIPS is that uncommon. Maybe for PCs outside of China it's rare, but MIPS has had pretty strong linux support for years.

Anyway, I'd say the price point of Creator is pretty decent, however, for the same price there are other ARM boards that will probably offer better performance.

What I'd like to know is how MIPS compares to ARM when installing an OS. ARM is notorious for needing custom kernels and sometimes custom bootloaders. MIPS lately has started to gain some attention (particularly the boards based on Loongson chips) and android isn't that popular on MIPS so I wonder if installing something like linux is easier, and if you CAN use generic images.

6. Gareth Halfacree

I know; I used to use it. Bear in mind the article says, and I quote:
    Granted, I use the word "uncommon" in the image caption, but that's in the context of the SBC market. You go ahead and count the number of MIPS SBCs available today, and compare it to the number of ARM SBCs available today.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder