1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

/quietly deletes Doom from Sky box. :worried:

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Don't delete it! Its hilarious. Completely over the top, and so utterly stereotypical. Turn your brain off and laugh :)

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah Doom if anything was a throwback to the 80's sci fi horror B-flicks.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

There's a leaked early draft that's actually really good (and contains an actual factual xenomorph), it also explains the Engineer's hostile attitude much better beyond 'they don't like us'.

It was waiting for emergency medical attention in stasis, because it had been face huggered, Earth is on the the Engineer's **** list because it's possibly part of a containment breach, but nobody escaped LV 426 to tell either the other Engineers or humanity. Oh yes, it's set on LV 426 because it's actually a proper prequel...

Worth a read.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow. They royally cocked-up the film then, because it doesn't get close to portraying anything like that.

6. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

You guys should get a read of the early Alien 3 scripts, they were pretty decent but the countless re-writes meant the final release was a mess!

The directors cut was quite different to the theatrical cut also.

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The Alien Quadrilogy is well worth picking up for all the behind the scenes and deleted scenes/directors cuts material; Alien 3 actually seemed to have had 1/3 of the film cut out which is criminal...

Guardians of the Galaxy

9/10

Just as epic as The Avengers but even more so, hard to find any major faults really on the first viewing besides a few plot holes and certain issues that were skipped over in a kind of Dr Who type of manner. I do hope they link up with the Avengers down the line...

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the quadrilogy also has the assembly cut as well which makes the film so much better

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Weekend viewing:
    Safehouse
    Alright spy/thriller, in the vein of Bourne (i.e. lots of visceral fisticuffs), not as good as I'd heard but a good viewing none the less 6.5/10
    Battleship
    Hahahahahahahhaaaaaa, they made a film based on the game Battleships? Seriously? WTF! Right; brain turned off, check; plot hole detector off, check; science checker off, check; ridiculous technology decisions highlighter off, check; stupid action and explosions enjoyment device on, check! 5/10 (and that's for the crazy amount of explosions!)

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Guardians of the Galaxy
    6/10
    I found it very "noisy" to watch, and while it was fun for large parts, the middle third really struggled to keep my attention at all.

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

You and me both, brother.

12. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Fury - 8/10. Amazing film.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Oh god... Can I do it?

Yes. 10/10. One of the best films I have ever seen.

13. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Interesting..... I didn't really click with it, it was amusing but I felt Moonrise Kingdom was the better film (of Wes Andersons). May have to give GBH another watch!

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I watched St. Vincent (with Bill Murray) on the weekend with my mom.

Quite enjoyed it, it had it's serious parts, and it was also funny. I'd happily give it a 7.5-8/10.

Almost time to start watching all the good Christmas movies; Elf, Home alone 1 & 2, The Nightmare before Christmas.

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Not a film, but I watched 'Olive Kitteridge' on Sky Atlantic.

Fantastic, fantastic acting from just about every main actor.

I love dramas, and this ties with Fargo for the best drama in recent years for me.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Out of The Furnace: 8/10

This film is brilliant. Having my Netflix account on the go sees me watching as many as three films per week at the moment, which will probably rise after the weekend when I finish work for Christmas. I started watching this straight after another film earlier in the week. I can't remember what the other film was, but I was disappointed by it, and once I stated watching this one, I knew that I had found a winner in the first five minutes, but unfortunately I didn't have time to finish watching it. I've since watched it through, and I can tell you the first five minutes were a good indication of the quality throughout. The actors, their acting, the direction, the story... it's all brilliant. I highly recommend this, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's got everything that makes a great drama film, and being set in a small blue collar American town was a real breath of fresh air after all the action/crime films I've watched lately. If I had to tell you what I dropped it two points for without spoiling it, I'd say it could have been longer and included even more of the brilliant story line, and the ending won't please everyone.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I see what you did there. My heart wants to respect your review; my head tells me to condemn it to the fires of eternal damnation.

I think perhaps you might have meant:

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oh, have I contradicted myself? Sorry, maybe it's worthy of more than 8/10, but you might be right, maybe it really is an 8/10 and I worded my review badly. I think I was too busy concentrating on not getting any of my Tim Horton's coffee or Tracker bar over the cab of my van when I wrote that >.<

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Elysium 7/10

Been discussed to death here, so yeah, it was quite good.

20. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Nightmare Before Christmas - 7.5/10

Used to watch it frequently as a kid. Wasn't what I remembered, and it's extremely short (only an hour and 15 min). Still enjoyed it.

Planning to watch over the next week - Home Alone 1 & 2, Elf, Jingle All the Way, The Santa Clause, Jack Frost, and Despicable Me 1 & 2. I've left How the Grinch Stole Christmas off the list since most of the household isn't fond of it, and I think it's just alright.