1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Researchers launch anonymous, robust BitTorrent client

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Especially the part about not needing tracking sites sounds good, I had to trawl lots of different sites to find my stuff. :worried:
    The shady sides of the internet are probably not too healthy for the PC. :D

3. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Hey, I know, why not just make it compulsory to install CCTV in every room in your house, and have monitoring software automatically checking each frame of the video for signs of Torrenting, Face-sitting, Bestiality (the dog humping your leg still counts) or drug usage.

The camera then turns into a Tattoo Gun Turret and shoots the perpetrator with thousands of little needles with ink, that spells out "PAEDO SCUM" or "LAMB RAMMER" across their forehead. That'll surely teach us delinquents a lesson! GoOOOO EU!!!:thumb:

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Not sure what the EU has to do with it, but hey.

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Great idea, release a torrent client whose main reason is to ensure anonymity and then cover their asses by saying that, WTF, ridiculous :duh:

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Are you expecting a 100% guarantee that it will keep you anonymous ?
    No one is ever going to make such a guarantee and if they did i wouldn't trust them, it's why bleach and the like only kills 99.9% of germs.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I knew someone would say that and I agree, but considering that
    it seems somewhat pointless to make a client that can't guarantee security, all it does is give the impression of security, a false sense of security, it doesn't bother me as I have not pirated anything since the days of Kazaa and won't be using it, but it's a bit like VPN's, 'Your data is safe with us, we won't give you up', yeah right!

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

More competition is always good. Torrents aren't going away until something better replaces them.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D
    The same thing could be said about the front door to your house, it gives a false sense of security as well, but it's better that not having one.

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

it's not the client side that's the issue...i thought the companies had given up on chasing individuals and only target the servers, i guess what you need is something that works without a central node, like bitcoin?

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

what we really need is for the content to be available at a reasonable cost, and people to stop sharing **** they have no right to

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Along with content being available at a reasonable cost you can add world wide release dates, governments respecting our right to privacy, and to stop trying to censor the internet.

13. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

This ^^^^ the reason many people are now choosing some form of encryption/VPN is simply because they are far more aware of the surveillance we are now under, (the residents of the UK are the most spied on of any country in the world) and many object to everyone from local councils to governments collecting personal data, not because they are doing anything illegal.

With hindsight it's pretty obvious that the WWW was going to come under very close scrutiny from governments, a document, produced by academic group the Surveillance Studies Network was posted by 'Wired New York' in 2006 and makes interesting reading, their warnings about the level of surveillance by 2016 have probably already been exceeded by 2014.

Considering how the police budgets have already been cut with more future cuts planned, what will be the cheapest, easiest solution for police when it comes to collecting information about someone, lots of labour intensive footwork and old school eyeball surveillance or 24/7 electronic surveillance?

Wired New York.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2014
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Two things to say about the "Wired New York" article: One, who is, or are, the Surveillance Studies Network, what are their credentials and why should we believe them? Two, the article is very out of date, eg, Tony Blair has not been PM for a number of years now.

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Open source and design /= Insecure.

Indeed the only way software can be proven to be secure is to examine the source code. Otherwise you just have to take the designer's word for it.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on what they say on their website, the Surveillance Studies Network (SSN) is a registered charitable company dedicated to the study of surveillance in all its forms, and the free distribution of scholarly information.

And i think the point Umbra was trying to make by posting an article from 2006 was how a "surveillance society" was foreseen almost a decade ago.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Agreed

18. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Glad someone is keeping up :D
    Thanks for the SSN link, forgot to include it.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Updated the article with a scathing analysis of its security by a current Tor developer.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

It's always nice to read about someone attempting to create perfect privacy tools. I hope the dev continues his work because it sounds like a useful thing to have when people want to share the documents that get leaked now and again.