1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Cheers. I've done a few missions. I got excited as I did manage to shoot someone down with a bounty and thought I could hang around, maybe got a little carried away.
    Is quite fun though. Trading is the way to go then I take it until you are a bit harder.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

You need to be careful not to hit other 'clean' ships whilst in combat. If you do, even by accident, you become wanted yourself and, even with a poxy 200 credit bounty dropped on you, you will be attacked which can be quite lethal in a non-upgraded sidewinder.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yes, I have mine bound to a button on my joystick, rather than a fire group. I also have chaff launcher bound to the space bar.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I got smashed to bits in seconds. I'll agree that for sure :)

I need more room for cargo currently for these little runs.

What is with the thing when you fall out of jump space and you have to follow the escape vector?

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

When you drop too close to a planet. The 'Escape Vector' does exactly what it says on the tin!

6. GravitySmacked

Unless you mean when you're getting interdicted, in which in this case you want to follow the blue target and try to get the blue bars on the left to the top. If the red bars on the right reach the top first you get pulled out of cruise and into a fight (my understanding of it anyway).

Throttling back lets you submit so you can blow the crap out of the fool who was trying it on - I usually do this as I don't really trade.

Also don't fly directly towards your target when arriving in a new system if you want to avoid being interdicted.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Interdicted is the one. So is that someone trying to pull me out?

I got the planet thing but it happened at a really random point a couple of times yesterday that couldn't be the gravity of a planet and it was moving all over the place. First time I bailed with double J or failing and second time I "escaped" but I didn't really have any indication as to why it had happened.

Glad I picked this up now TBH. I don't want to start Star Citizen until it has gone gold really. This is epic.

Edit: Ok, I see. http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Interdiction

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

This thread has been too quite, for too long! So below is my guide to keep trading tense.

[​IMG]

------------

If anyone is after an easy ~1K per ton trade route take Performance Enhancers from Arexe (Janes Horizons) to the "Seeking Luxuries" near Lave station in Lave. - I didn't bother with a return trip, but it's nice that you can jump out straight after being transferred the credits for your cargo.
    I'm back on the rare trading now, point A to B to A to B is just so dull.

-----------

On the subject of rares, if your in the mood to plot a route, nay a rares grand tour, this site is pretty handy.

This is the route I'm playing with at the moment.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2015
  9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I really like playing this game, but I think they got the title wrong. It should be called Elite: Docking Request Denied

Anyway, I've just got a hauler and enough money for the second best jump drive for it. I need to start racking up some cash. What sort of range do you need to make a bunch of cash per run? Currently I'm just doing bulletin board type missions. Most of my commodities attempts have been pretty pointless.

10. GravitySmacked

If the station is busy and I can't dock I log off and log in as solo. In fact I've been playing more in solo these days as it's better for nav beacon camping, in the more populated areas anyway, and you can always dock.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2015
  11. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Dropping into solo mode to drop off your cargo should sort this, its annoying but luckily becomes a non-issue later on when your away from the starting hubs or docking in stations.

At 14ly range laden I'd seriously consider rare goods trading.
    Rare goods are relatively cheap goods which can only be bought in one location, you can spot them easily; they're yellow. The sell value increases the further away from the source you get (soft(?) capped at ~150ly). My run from the lave area to whichaul area yields 10-17K per tonne in profit. With a hauler you'll have no problem filling your hold.

There is a bit of a draw back with rares though, there is a personal allowance. Stations will restock every 10 min with a few tonnes, which varies with the station. There is also a cap on how many your allowed to carry. This won't be a problem in a hauler, when you have a cobra* you'll have to wait in the station for 10min for the market to restock (I went and stripped wallpaper while I waited), and by the time you're in an ASP*, you'll be struggling to fill your hold at all.

* assuming you've fitted the biggest racks you can.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah, I figured out to do solo play but it is so annoying. The game is way more fun with humans doing weird things. In the sidewinder I had my first fight with three ships. One cobra and two sidewinders. The cobra was under attack and the two sidewinders were with bounty. I killed both sidewinders just as they killed the cobra. I presume they were people as they were behaving oddly and had silly names. Haven't had anything remotely as interesting in solo play. Cobra seemed more interested in attacking me also.. No sense was made.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Human players will always have a name that begins with CMDR and they appear hollow on the scanner, where as AI are solid. I've seen plenty of AI with silly names like WHOGIVESATOSS, HOOF ARTED, just to name a couple. This is what happens when you allow Kickstarter backers to name AI characters <sigh>

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I see. They certainly did have CMDR. They make the silly names even more silly.

Have you ever read Iain Banks' sci fi? The culture ships always had funny names.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Eve Online did, to be fair, have over a decade to hone itself to perfection (the Rhea update is sweet). My only problem with it is a heavy dependence on joining a group to get anywhere at all, which means I can't just pick it up, play a bit and put it down again for a while. Monthly prescription also means that you have to play regularly to get your money's worth. It turns into a second job.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Guys and gals, I caved last night and bought this to play while I wait for Wing commander 6 Starlancer 2 Star Citizen and as an antidote to the ridiculous amount of stress caused by playing Alien: Isolation. Just working through the tutorials before hitting the game proper.

Is there a Bit-Tech hangout I should be aware of? At the weekends I'd potentially be amenable to some co-op pirate hunting or something.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Multiplayer doesn't really exist just yet - you are always playing with other people of course, but doing things with one specific person isn't really something that exists yet. Its coming soon though! :thumb:

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Elite should be renamed Elite Coming Soon as the amount of Content that has been promised is a whole new game in itself.

Had this since backing it in kickstarter for what I paid which was not alot its not a bad game if id of paid £40+ I think id of been a bit angry by this stage. Done what Jrs77 did installed it played it a bit and have not been back to it. Will await some more content to launch and maybe some features to actually play with friends arive.

The combat missions are alot more fun than the trade stuff is and if you get lucky you can make alot more cash per hour than you can trading.

Tradings biggest flaws at the minute is the rare goods cap which means once your past the hauler ship level you will be waiting along time at stations doing nothing but been afk which is boring.

Combat might need tuning some ships seem very strong compared to there cost whilst some of the more expensive ships seem pretty useless judging by forum posts ( Dont own a expensive combat ship)

Dont think comparing it to EVE online is fair either as they are totally seperate genre types. Star Citizen will be more compared to EVE online as they are both MMO games. Elite is a solo play game with some online extras tagged on.

19. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Is the civil war in HO HSI over? I can't see any combat zones anymore.

Picked up a mission to kill a few pirates (they weren't mentioned by name) in a system. Went there, killed a bunch of wanted NPCs but the mission didn't complete? Is it a bug, or do I have to do something special?

Once proper multiplayer is released, are there any plans to star an organisation à la Bitsec?

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I believe you have to cash the bounty in at a station. Skip to 3:20 in this video: