1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ta - although that's a weird looking thing, and I'm not sure how I'd get on trying to use its tiny scroll ball as a trackball. I was hoping for something more like this, only Bluetooth. Think I'm going to be disappointed, tho'!
    Really? I've got an NTFS-formatted 64GB micro-SD in mine, and Steam was perfectly happy installing on there.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Im sure ive seen some about, if i stumble over one ill send you a link. Mouse wise ive been using my cheapy Logitech wireless mouse an keyboard combi i use on my Rasberry Pi through the USB OTG connector.

Im running steam client and my games off the 64Gb micro SD as well, you may need to re install steam direct to the stick rather than on the tablet memory though. Those games should work to be fair. Im goign to see what i can install tonight something silly, Sup com is on my list as is UT2004 and Half Life Source

Oh mouse wise im now looking at silly options like Wireless USB hubs, i did not know they even existed!

Last edited: 31 Dec 2014
  3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Someone on Overclockers said they played an hour on their 10" and the temps hit 70c resulting in the tablet throttling to 500mhz and staying there. Not saying it'll definitely happen but just a heads up in case your performance tanks at some point!

-Edit-

As an after thought since I realised last night modd hadn't done this. If you do wish to use OneDrive with your tablet and use a Microsoft account to login to it, you'll have 15GB of storage space. If you go into PC Settings via the right charm, then to the OneDrive settings and turn on the Camera Roll upload you'll now have a permanent 30GB of OneDrive space. At least I'm pretty sure that's what we did.

And there's VLC available for Modern if anyone wants to give it a try. Tried on a PC not a touchscreen.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm using the Desktop version of VLC on mine.

TJ Max is reported as 90º in RealTemp 3.70 so shouldn't it start throttling closer to that?

If you want to turn of UAC completely (although you won't then be able to access the Store) then after setting it to off in User Accounts you also need to change the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and set EnableLUA to 0

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Will any USB OTG Hub Adapter Cable work or does it need to be a specific model?

Until buying this device I'd never even come across USB OTG :/

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

For those interested in a mouse for their new tablet, I've had great success with the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort. They are comfortable, accurate, cost peanuts (about £26), there's no dongle to worry about and they're great for Windows 8.1 gestures.

It's also light and compact for easy travel. Been using one with the Surface from the get-go and it's essential kit imho, much better than the more expensive Arc/Wedge options.

Unless it's physically broken, any OTG cable should work.

7. dynamis_dk

Cool mate cheers, off to ebay I trot...

8. Big Elf

I like these OTG adapters

[​IMG]

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I saw some OTG adapters yesterday that had some flash memory built in with them, obviously not as cheap as that one from Elf.

10. Big Elf

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I would love something like this but the connectors probably a little to fragile

[​IMG]

12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You can install steam games to a diff hdd so I would assume it's the same regarding the SD.

I have steam running off D: on my PC :).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had one of those: they're useless on devices with closely-spaced ports. The Adapteva Parallella, f'r instance, has a micro-HDMI and a micro-USB right next to each other. Using dongle-style adapters, the ports get fouled; you need flying-lead-style adapters instead. Added bonus: a flying-lead adapter puts less strain on the port. That said, a dongle-style is obviously more pocketable - and it shouldn't foul anything on the Linx 7.

EDIT: If anyone missed out, the Linx 7 is back on FleaBay for £59.95 from Laptops Direct again.

14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The way I read the post was that it continued to throttle at 70c, but the temps hit a max of 85c which I completely missed before. Here's the post in question.

16. dynamis_dk

I've gone for the cabled route to give a bit more flexibility on now many devices I can have on it and so the port doesn't get abuse. I've lost count of the amount of time a USB stick nearly ripped my laptop USB port off. Unless its on a tablet I nearly always use a 6" extension cable I found from a 3G dongle just to be safe :)

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

How are people finding the 1GB ram on the smaller devices for games?

18. Big Elf

This (Post #43) is apparently a link to the drivers for each of the 7, 8 and 10" models which might be useful for tinkerers.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So has anyone here actually managed to install another OS?

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ