1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Post your Dog

Discussion in 'General' started by IamJudd, 3 Jan 2015.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The wife and I have decided that this is the year for a dog.
    We have three kids from 3 to 16 and we both work although wife works from home. We've whittled it down to a short haired dog, preferably dry mouthed. So... What do you have!?

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

We have 2 dogs. One is a purebred maltese, she is about 10 or so pounds and is basically a lap dog / cat. I say that because she acts like a cat and doesn't socialize well with anything that isn't human. She has hair so you don't have to worry about shedding or allergies.

2nd is our morkie - have yorkie, half maltese. She's around 20 pounds, and she's been great. Very good temperament, and she doesn't mind being handled by kids / people. She also has hair so no worries about shedding.

Both dogs only really bark at the door, or when we bring treats out and they get over excited. Dogs are also awesome because no matter what, they're always excited to see you. Both dogs have never bitten, but when Emma was teething, she did go around and chew up some of the baseboards in the house, but it's common for a lot of dogs to chew anything / everything while teething. As for bathroom things, Abby was paper trained so she only goes on pee pads now, she'll pee outside but refuses to go #2. We also had to remove any area rugs as she would use them as pee pads. Emma only goes outside, and she gets walked 3 times a day, my dad walks her at 5am, him or myself will walk her at 3-4pm and 7-8pm. If no ones home, she'll hold it and wait.

When we aren't home the dogs normally just sleep / hang out / play with their toys. They don't really cause a problem. Edit - regardless what dog you get, be prepared to do some training. I assume because you have kids they always have their friends coming and going, and you wouldn't want the dog jumping on people the second they walk in the door / scaring the younger kids. Even more true if you get a larger dog, as they can intimidate a lot of people. Not sure what to recommend but see what amazon / google / book retailers recommend for dog books or talk to some people you know / maybe sign up for a class.

Here is Abby, the maltese - just took the picture now, her hair is medium length? She got a haircut / groomed maybe 1.5-2 months ago. We usually bring them every 3-4 months. Excuse the poor lighting and camera, took the picture with my phone. I believe Abby just turned 7.
    [​IMG]

Here is Emma, the morkie - 1st picture was from Christmas, medium length hair with reindeer hat on for Christmas. 2nd picture is older but she has shorter hair in it. I believe Emma is 4.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jan 2015
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My dog doesn't like being posted, I have to squash him to get him through the letterbox.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

There is a pet thread, but I believe that IamJudd is looking for suggestions rather than just pics?

Anyway, my suggestion: get a retired greyhound.

They are the world's laziest dogs (contrary to popular belief), they only require a couple of short walks a day and they hardly bark at all. They're not slobbery dogs and they don't moult too much.

Despite what some people think, they're not violent and they don't need muzzling, and they're brilliant with kids (basically, they're so laid back that they'll let kids climb all over them rather than get up and do something about it).

The only downside is that you may need some time before you'd be comfortable letting them off the lead (and even than I'd only recommend doing it in an enclosed space with no strange dogs around).

Here's mine, Dolly - this was taken a few years ago, she's now 12 and much, much whiter :):
    [​IMG]
    (I know it looks uncomfortable, but greyhounds aren't comfortable unless they're contorted in some way. Many greyhounds sleep against the back of a bed/wall with their feet up in the air...Dolly likes to hang her head off the edge of the sofa/bed with her nose almost touching the floor while she sleeps)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2015
  6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

This is my derg, Doug. Spaniel / Terrier cross we think.

Very lazy, but loves going for a run when I go riding on my bike, happy to trot along side. Great with the kids, never snapped at anyone in the time we've had him. My only issue with him is the amount of hair he leaves behind, we are hoovering usually every other day.

[​IMG]

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

not mine, but the old ladies. mines been dead for the past 9 years. still miss him :(

[​IMG]

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Go for a mixed breed (mongrel). Cheaper to buy and far less likely to have health issues later down the line. Rescues all the way too!

9. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

My dad has had lurchers all his life, the most recent being Bonnie.

[​IMG]

She's a mix of Collie and Whippet with more whippet so she's speedy but can follow orders which used to be useful when he would hunt with the dogs years ago. Only problem is she has a strong hunting instinct and will chase after deer and has killed small ones which is not what you really want her doing when you pop out for a quick walk. Despite that she's fine around people and other dogs and livestock, although she doesn't get let off the lead near them.

For a family dog I would recommend a border terrier, all the ones that I've met have been lovely and my first dog will almost certainly be a scruffy little one.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

We have a greyhound and a cocker spaniel. Folks have a boarder collie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All have their plus points, the collie is very clever, the greyhound very placid and the spaniel is just a daft playful thing that is very easy to get along with.

Out of our lot the spaniel has always been pretty spot on, never been too fussed with other dogs, easy to train and has a great temperament for a family. Good balance of intelligence without them being a too clever! Easily smells the worst though :grr:

Oh and as a rule all dogs are a pita when young so be prepared for the long haul, they don't come out of a box good as gold.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Here's my Dog:

[​IMG]

And here's my dog:

[​IMG]

I have neither anymore, but I'll tell you I still want a german shepherd and I do NOT want a poodle.

EDIT: bothered to finally read the thread, a poodle if awfully practical as it doesn't shed its hair. Chances are also you won't find one as retarded as ours.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[​IMG]
    Daisy does not approve...

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

As much as I love dogs and have been considering adopting one myself for the past couple of years, I have not done so yet because I'm not at home enough to keep it company and I don't think it would be fair to leave a dog on its own all day and night.

My brother and his girlfriend have this little rascal of a Jack Russell, Spike, who we look after occasionally and I love to bits. As all dogs should be, he's spoiled rotten and has a lovely personality/temperament as a result. Very playful and full of life at times, but can be so settled and will sleep for hours in your lap just as easily as jump the height of himself when you come home :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having a snooze on the sofa with my brother:

[​IMG]

Having a snooze in my lap:

[​IMG]

And this is Brucie, my Uncle's Jack Russell mix, who we also look after occasionally. He is much older than Spike, around 13 or so. Brucie is the most spoiled, affectionate dog I have ever seen. If you pet him for a few minutes and stop, he will nuzzle at your hand until you start again! Like Spike, he's also very intelligent, and overall one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. I love spending time with him :) I don't have as many photos of Brucie because believe it or not, he's not that photogenic! He doesn't like cameras, phones, tablets etc!

[​IMG]

Dozing in a cozy blanket:

[​IMG]

Finally, I met this little girl for the first time on Boxing day. Charley the Cocker Spaniel belongs to my brother's girlfriend's sister and her husband. They've just had a baby who arrived very prematurely, and because Charley is quite boisterous, they have left her with family for a while, until their little girl is a bit bigger! Charley was only with us for one day but she's a total sweetheart, I fell in love with her affection and playful nature immediately! I have always had a soft spot for Spaniels; we had a Springer when I was growing up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015
  14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

[​IMG]

Pika with one of my scarves.

15. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Get a staffy, you won't be disappointed :)
    Most loveable and loving dog I've ever had. They do have their mental moments but it adds to their character.

This was ours when we first got him.
    [​IMG]

And then he started to grow up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Him as a Christmas pudding
    [​IMG]

He even sleeps with the cats.
    [​IMG]

And finally him in all his glory.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jan 2015
  16. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Thanks for all of the replies... Loving Charlie the spaniel. Will keep you posted as to what we choose with pics and such!

Ian

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

@Unicorn, I respect that you're putting a dogs needs before your own. I always wonder how my dogs will act once I've got a full-time job. Right now, they always hang out with me during the day, and 99% of the time, someone is home to keep them company.

Edit: You guys all have lovely dogs!

18. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

IamJudd: Whatever you decide, make sure you go past your local RSPCA animal/rescue shelter first.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

QFT - there will be loads of worthy hounds at your local Dog's Trust/RSPCA/PDSA/other rescue shelter. The only problem is that you'll probably want to take them all home :D

20. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Totally agree with this, Greyhounds are great dogs. My GF's folks have a Greyhound and a Border Collie. The Greyhound is perfect for keeping the Collie calm when needed. I think the ex-racing Greyhounds seem to have a been there, done that attitude which makes them so laid back. And probably why they love the short walks at times.