1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

LOL :lol:

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It says there is a bounty on it once scanned if there is one to be had. Just look for someone under fire... that is always your first clue.

I'm still only sat on 50k really. Just doing loads of random small runs. Need to look for these rare goods. I'd like to do some fighting though next really.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Sooo, found the Eagle I had. Went to a nav beacon and woot some wanted targets. Easily popped a Sidewinder, however the fight against the eagle was pretty tough but popped him too. Noticed two more red's on the hud and engaged, turned out they were clean and incurred bounty and their wrath. Hull down to 16%, pulse pounding managed to jump out of combat and docked up.

Repair bill, 1,242
    Bounty incurred 150
    Bounties earned 310

Lesson to always double check what im shooting at: Priceless

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

More of an update:

Jumped into an unknown source, wanted pilot, popped him for 25k. Couple of small upgrades to the eagle.

Found another unknown source, some cargo computer something. Didnt realise that Salvaging = stolen loot. By the time I sold the goods,collected a couple of smaller bounties and paid the fine, im down to 7k..

Like the fact that I can now handle myself in a fight!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, my apologies! I word searched for 'insure' in the document, not 'insurance'.

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

So, I visited Sol (about 116LY from my current home base) last night, made a cool 100k profit from 20 tons of rare goods I had in the hold. Quickly realised the general markets there were crappy, so decided to make a trip to Alpha Centauri, specifically Hutton Orbital where I understood some rare goods to be. Sadly, I neglected to realise initially, that Hutton Orbital was a 0.22LY super-cruise journey and despite reaching speeds of 1800c at one point in the journey, it took me nearly 2 hours to get there! The rare goods that awaited me? Just 2 units of special gin...!

When I realised the distance, I could have easily hyper jumped to a new system but it became a point of stubborn principle to get there. Surprise number 2 was the 115k I had to pay in ship integrity repairs from my high speed long distance jaunt in super-cruise!!! Be Warned!

Anyway, I found a map that lists both the system name and stations that carry some of the rare good, so I did a few smaller trips to pad out my hull before I do the return journey to my current home system.

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/rare-goods/

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Nearly did this myself once, but after 10 minutes I gave up and jumped out!

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Take a look at http://eliteraretrader.co.uk too. This one lets you plot routes, shows max allocation and stock amount per refresh.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

&

Thanks, I'll give all 3 of these a try when I get some time later.
    My plan is to get a Lakon Type 6 equipped with 100 tons for trade runs and then ensure my Cobra 3 is properly combat upgraded for those fun but dangerous high value bounty missions I am so fond of. Power Grid allowing, i'd like to install 2 class 4B shield cell banks. :)

Given the cost of the Lakon and some upgrades, and that I'll need some trade capital, I think i'll need about 2 million credits.

I still think the market database behaves inconsistently, with the trade lane info in the galaxy view not always being correct. The fact that so many 3rd party tools now exist for the trade portion of elite, to me (and from my limited trade experience) really shows how insufficient the internal game tool is for it.

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Doesn't running multiple ships rather tie you to a relatively small operational area? It's not like there's a "bring me my ship" option that I've found yet...my free eagle is still unused for this very reason, it's over 200LY away from me, which at best is 12 jumps with my cobra unladen.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yes it does. but even the cobra's multi role capabilities, it's still more time efficient to have dedicated ships. Outside of rare goods, imperial slaves and gold are the most profitable and the latter is produced, exported and then re imported often in the same system or just a jump away. I have found little reason to do long jumps when metals pay so well locally. I just want to increase the volume of that trade.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2015
  13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Could sidewinder it across to pickup ur ship. Not ideal with its jump range but doable at a huge cost

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Picked up the type 6, ended up selling the Cobra 3 to release some funds, gave it the top FSD Drive (1.6 mill!), 100t of Cargo space, gave me an 18.5 laden jump range, which I used on a 17.5 ly 1 jump trade run, shifting slaves at one end then gold at the other, once the gold price started to tank, I shifted to beryllium, less layout than the gold and profits became better (150k profit per 100 tons, after the gold slump which had shifted down to 107k profit per 100t). I made about 1.8 million in a few hours.
    Sitting on a total of 2.8 million now.

As an FYI, if your buying imperial slaves in quantities of 100t, you will need approx 1.5 million in capital, Gold about a million, and beryllium about 750k just to fund the one way trip. But you will make anywhere from 100k to 150k a run, so you can see how you get to a point where the risk becomes less, in that even if you did get interdicted, robbed and/or destroyed, you could still fund another run and then some.
    It's just a bit risky early on :)

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys, sorry for asking this question (again, I think) but what exactly is this game? What is the objective? What do you spend most of your time doing?

I've read a few reviews and no one concretely tells me what you actually do. They all just say "wow it's a big space game, and this one time I blew up a rad pirate ship". But I can't tell if you do nothing for 49 hours of the game and have 1 hour of something actually happen!

Anyone care to fill in? Am very curious but really don't know if it's worth me investing into.

Just to add, it sounds really boring: collect cargo, move cargo, sell cargo, get more cargo, get butt f***ed by pirates....

Last edited: 7 Jan 2015
  16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The best description I've read is: it's a Han Solo simulator. :p

There is no endgame or final objective; it is an open-ended game in which you just bum around the galaxy making a living. You do this through trade and missions, exploration, bounty hunting or pirating.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Download Frontier: First Encounters. Run it in DOSBox. Resist the urge to land on any surfaces, travel exclusively to and from space stations, and squint until it starts to look pretty. Imagine there are occasionally other players, and that everyone you meet has a stupid name picked by Kickstarter backers. Having fun yet? If not, don't buy Elite: Dangerous.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Maybe it's already been posted, but this is amazing

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not a fan then eh, Gareth? :D
    That is quite impressive!

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Wow, what an amazing setup!