1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Hive to launch Amplicity subscription-based PCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So you can pay $200 for the use of a low-end Atom desktop for a year, or ~$200 for a Celeron NUC that will perform dramatically faster, and you can sell later.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just in case the article wasn't clear: you can pay $198 for the use of a low-end Atom desktop and Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud and 1TB of remote storage for a year, or you can pay ~$200 for a Celeron NUC plus $69.99 for Office 365 with 1TB of storage plus a minimum of $119.98 for the cheapest Adobe Creative Cloud for a year.

So, to reframe that calculation: you can pay $189.97 a year for Office 365 and Creative Cloud subscriptions and have to shell out for your own hardware, or you can pay $198 - that's just $8.03 more - to get the hardware provided for you, and get hardware upgrades as and when they're available at no extra charge.

Suddenly doesn't seem like such a bad deal, does it?

(Oh, just one note: I haven't been able to find out what applications are actually included. It talks about "Adobe" applications, but not which they are - so, given the pricing, I've assumed it's basically Photoshop and Lightroom via Creative Cloud, which is normally $9.99 a month paid annually.)

4. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I dread the thought of trying to run anything in the Adobe CC suite on an Atom powered machine.

And am I the only one that feels like we're going back in time? I can already rent time/cycles on a variety of cloud-provider machines. Now here comes the eMachines guy trying to rent me "affordable computing power, right in the comfort of your own home!"

Next thing you know, shag carpets and avocado green appliances will be coming back.

5. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Nice idea if they could provide a pokier machine. I still think there is a market for this though, the amount of students i deal with that cant afford a new PC let alone Office and Adobe products.

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

So this solution is clearly not for you, so why post? Just so you can point out that you can buy a PC for the same price but doesn't come with office or adobe, Kudos for your efforts.

As Mrjay mentions if it was a bit porkier there would be some interest, I currently pay for Adobe & office and I didn't get a free computer with it.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jan 2015
  7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Given my first thought was "It's the netPliance all over again"? You're not alone.

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I can't see anywhere that states you need to be connected to the internet to use the software, I have the Adobe suite and I can use it when my laptop is disconnected to the internet so why can't they ?

9. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I'm pretty sure it the Adobe Creative Cloud stuff only needs to check in periodically, its still mostly machine based just had cloud features, just like full fat office has cloud and Onedrive integration. This way if you don't pay up Adobe simply terminates your product.