1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anyone with bad experiences of G2A?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oscy, 2 Jan 2015.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I just looked it up and wow, they have good prices for sure. But Googling how legit they are gives mixed results, though most of it speculation. The "if it's too good to be true" adage kinda went out of the window with Steam sales years ago.

Do they buy keys from Russia and sell them on? Apparently this causes a problem for games that don't have an English language option in Russia.

A bigger problem because they also apparently have zero support if something goes wrong. Like Buy At Your Own Risk. Or like you're buying stolen goods from a van.

-------------

EDIT: https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/466577590606520320

Welp.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2015
  2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I bought 2 games there recently, and both copies arrived. One was a Steam gift code and one a normal redeemable code. The gift code was questionable but it worked nonetheless.

3. oscy

oscy Modder

If they'd been around for years, I'd be fine. But they seem to be pretty new, and I can see a headline in the future about G2A be taken offline, or even Steam accounts getting suspended in the process.

I suspect many people have bought from them and got a working code, but that doesn't say much. What I'm wondering about is if anyone's had problems.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Has anyone ever had their steam account banned for buying a code from a suspect website? I don't think they have.

G2A are fine, I've used them a heap and they've always been top notch.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2015
  5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

G2A is completely legal and legit. Had a few games of them my self with no problem.
    there basicly steam keys permanently at sale prices.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

God knows where keys are from, some probably cheaper regions though I suspect steams latest policy changes may have cut that down a bit, some from hardware bundles.

As for languages, well it'll tell you. E.g.

Shadow of Mordor STEAM CD-KEY GLOBAL

Languages - Flags. Region - Global

Shadow of Mordor STEAM CD-KEY RU / CIS

Language - Flag. Region - CIS, and a nice warning up the top

"Warning! This product is region-locked and can be activated and played in Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan"

G2A Shield supposedly guarantees your purchase although I've never had to test it.

Think I've used G2A once, used Kinguin a lot more which is basically the same thing and never had a problem.

7. oscy

oscy Modder

I've never had the desire to properly analyse the Steam rules, so I don't know if there's a wording there that would make G2A legit or not legit in that sense. Hard to tell why an account's been banned because those that are banned aren't forthcoming or reliable to the real reason why.

However I do know that in the reasons listed for why a Steam account can be suspended, there's this:

Whether this includes keys for regions outside your own or a store selling keys, respectively, I don't know the official word.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think if the accounts had been banned for using keys bought on those sites there would be a reliable stream of people complaining about bans. Valve would have to ban a good chunk of their subscribers.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

Eh, I'll probably go for it given the prices. YOLT.

What I don't get now is why the Watch Dogs Digital Deluxe is 13.99 Euros on one page, but the same version on another page of the site is 8.50. Both G2A, not other people.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

11. oscy

oscy Modder

Both Uplay, both even have the same name. From the front page, click on the sale page, and scroll down there'll be a few Watch Dogs ones. One's titled 'Watch Dogs Digital Deluxe Edition UPLAY GLOBAL', click on it to get the pop-up window description and the option to buy at 13.49 Euros. Click that and it just adds to your basket at 13.49.

But if the one in your link (which is the other one I saw) is exactly the same and 'G2A selected offer' means I'm buying from the store itself, it doesn't matter.

Incidentally it's the same for South Park. The sale page shows one price, but a search for the same thing shows a different G2A price (though the sale one is lower this time).

12. oscy

oscy Modder

Found the answer in an old Facebook comment eventually. Apparently a G2A Selected Offer Is an individual seller that they're promoting, though still it isn't immediately obvious who that seller is, so still strange.

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Dodgy as hell, I brought FIFA 14 off G2A last year, as a friend wanted to multiplayer. It added to my origin account, but was removed within 48 hours by EA. After talking to EA for around half a hour, they were very apologetic but explained it was a stolen key I'd used.

I went back to G2A and had to jump through tons of hoops, eventually they gave me another key... Same thing happened, so off I went back to G2A who refused to communicate with me at all, EA again said it was a stolen key.

That said I do know some people who have used it with no issues, but honestly I wouldn't risk it again.

14. oscy

oscy Modder

Don't know if it's a dumb question, but how does one steal a key in the first place?

15. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

They're normally good but you do have to be careful with some of their sellers.
    I have had one of my game keys on UPlay banned that I bought from there (Far Cry 4 Gold), still trying to get it sorted at the moment.

So far 1/18 deals have gone bad for me on G2A.

16. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Number of ways, as I understand it. Physically from boxes at retail, alternatively using stolen credit cards to buy a bunch of them, using PayPal to buy a bunch then disputing the transaction, reversing transactions etc...

Lots of ways really. That's the problem with the grey market.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2015
  17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It’s outrageous they can just remove a game that has been paid for in good faith. It’s not the consumers fault after all. I’m a bit fed up with the industry at the moment; publishers keep ploughing out broken games, full of shitty DLC and micro-transactions and then pull **** like this – I feel like hanging my gaming hat up in all honesty and just playing Elite forever!

18. oscy

oscy Modder

They don't know if the person using the code is the one who stole it. They can only go as far down the chain as they know. It'd then be down to the person to inform whoever s/he bought it from that it was a dud and to get a refund or replacement, which G2A apparently are good at doing as long as you bought it from them, but they offer a £1 protection if you buy from a stranger on their site.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

To be fair if they're removing a Ubisoft game they're probably doing you a favour, with the state they've been shipped in.

20. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Its a grey market site, its pretty clear thats what it is when you go there, you shop there you take the risk. Theres a reason that they're selling games at close to permanent Steam sale prices.

There are legitimate places to go for games which have zero risk, places like Steam, GOG, Greenmangaming, Getgamesgo, Gamersgate... but you can't be angry when the stolen goods you brought are removed from your possession, stop buying from the seller G2A is dodgy as hell.

I've been stung once, I don't blame anyone other than G2A and myself, I won't be stung again.