1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor goes black for 1 second...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 28 Dec 2014.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

...and there's nothing wrong with my system.

I've been experiencing this "bug" for several weeks now and I'm hoping that my wonderful NEC is not nearing the end of its life (there's no reason it should be). Every so often, for no reason whatsoever, the NEC blacks out for a split second, just a flicker, and then returns as if nothing had happened, displaying the "DVI DIGITAL 1920x1200" banner in the top left of the screen. I don't get any problem reports in Windows, nor is there a message that says the graphics driver has failed, etc. And what's more, I've just done a clean install of W7 on a brand new HDD and the problem is still there.

I'm also running a second monitor, a 20" Eizo S2000, and the blackout doesn't affect this monitor, just the NEC. I tried switching the outputs on my graphics card and that didn't change anything, so I'm suspicious that it's the monitor and not the PC at fault... but how can I be 100% sure?

I'm suspicious that it could be a driver fault, but perhaps I'm in denial and my monitor really is slowly dying. The problem doesn't happen at any given time... in fact, I can play a game for 7 hours straight and the monitor won't miss a beat... or I could be working in Photoshop for 5 minutes, and it'll happen.

Anybody have a similar experience?

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I know you've said that you've tried different outputs on the GPU, but have you tried different inputs on the monitor? It could be a loose connection at the monitor input, perhaps?

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Strangely enough, I totally forgot that there is also a DVI-D input on this monitor, despite having checked the existing DVI-I connection and making sure the cable is seated properly (and even trying more than one cable). Will try the other DVI input and see if the problem persists.

4. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

It's probably a faulty lead/input

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I think it's the input. Since changing to the DVI-D input the problem hasn't presented at all, so there must be a bad connection or dry solder on the DVI-I input (which is strange, because I've not had any such problem since I got the monitor about 18 months ago and I've used that input from day one). Thankfully, both my DVI cables are fine. I just hope the DVI-D input doesn't also develop the same problem!

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So it's now happening on the DVI-D input - it happened first on the old Windows install but it's also happening on the new one, but nowhere near as frequently as before. So far I've only experienced it when using Firefox, but on the other OS it happens other times too (like when I'm using Photoshop, which is extremely annoying!).

Argh!

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So this is still an ongoing problem, and it's become unpleasantly frequent when I'm working in Photoshop, so I really have to get to the bottom of it.

First port of call is to roll back to the 340.52 Nvidia drivers (July 2014), because when I had them installed I definitely didn't have the black screen problem. I'm also putting together a cheap legacy system to use for backup, and I'll connect it to the NEC to see if the problem persists with an entirely different set of hardware.

It looks like GTX770 users have had their fair share of black screen problems. Bottom line: it doesn't bother me, because if it comes to it I'll RMA the card and get something else.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My kids were complaining about a similar problem on their old monitor. Two caps out a cluster of four had popped.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Aye I'm suspicious it's a hardware problem... just did a thorough clean-and-install of 340.52 drivers (on my fresh OS, no less) and within 5 minutes the NEC did the usual, black for a split second and then immediately back to desktop. The problem doesn't affect the second monitor, which makes me even more suspicious it's a hardware level issue, however you know as well as I do that with computers, diagnosis is an absolute nightmare.

I've read that NEC displays are notoriously difficult to dismantle but if I could get access to the power supply that would be my first port of call.

You repaired your 3007... how easy was it? :)

10. David

Simple in the end, once I found the culprit, which was hiding under huge glob of hot glue; but that was just a fuse.

The blackouts can be caused by (some) blown caps and sometimes by flaky inverter transformers. I had a 22" Samsung that had a pair of transformers on the power board and one had blown, but that monitor would start blinking on and off more frequently as it warmed up. Two minutes with a soldering iron and it was as good as new - still got it as a spare in the loft.

Having said that Samsungs are cheap & nasty and a piece of piss to take apart and fix, and I'm not even going to try and compare them to a decent NEC model.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The strange thing is, it only ever happens on desktop (never during game, at least not yet). It could still be a GPU issue, or even related to my own PSU as it supplies the GPU and could be responsible for intermittent loss of signal. One thing's for sure: I'm not getting inside the NEC. It's built like a freakin' tank and I'd probably do more damage just trying to take the cover off.

To be absolutely sure it is the NEC, I'd have to test another system for several hours; I just don't have that kind of time at the moment.

In the meantime, while I keep trying to diagnose the problem, I've sent an email to NEC support (specific for MDview displays) and I hope that they can point me in the right direction at least.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Oddly I have a very similar issue with my work screens. I have two relatively new Acer V246HLs plugged into the DVI and D-sub outputs on my HP box, and from time to time, seemingly at random, I get a black screen on both monitors, then they reconnect and all is well again.

It's odd and annoying, but not frequent enough for me to have looked into it.

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've got the same monitor (9,500 hours usage) with the 347.09 drivers and haven't had this.

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have been getting this issue for the past few months, it's getting very annoying now! any idea how I can test for hardware vs software/drive issue? I connect via the 'display port' on my GPU direct into the 'display port' on my monitor. I have upgraded to 3 of the newest over that time and the issue persists. Weirdly it's not consistent, sometimes I will get it many times an evening, other times nothing for hour and them bam.

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

More than likely this is the problem - my monitor started acting a bit as described and it was down to caps.

How many boards is in the screen? It's likely caused by some capacitors on the psu board (there is normally 2, a psu type board and then a logic type board). On my screen, I could see which caps were causing the issue, but I actually just swapped out all the caps and replaced them all with high quality 105C rubycon's. Sometimes in monitors they use only 85c caps and this can cause a problem due to all the heat that happens inside a monitor.

If you don't mind a week or so using a different screen you can ship me the boards and I will swap all the caps for just the cost of parts.

If it's a problem out of no where, and it affects the light or image stability, or just the ability to display the image at all (1 second black outs etc) - then it's usually a problem with dead or dieing/dried up or bloating electrolytic capacitors - same as above, if you want me to do a cap service just strip the screen and send me the boards and I will sort it for you.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It wasn't frequent before, but it's gotten that way (earlier today it happened twice within 5 minutes) and it's very difficult for me to work (especially in digital imaging) with a monitor that blinks off and on randomly, which is why I have to sort it out.

@Big Elf, thanks for the input - it didn't have the hallmark of a driver problem, but I was always suspicious. Now I have to figure out if it's the NEC, the GPU, or the PSU... or possibly even the mobo.

Another thing I remember vaguely is that I was experiencing strange behaviour from the modular power cables going to my 770, so I just swapped out the 8-pin connector and will see if that makes a difference. If not, I can always swap out the entire PSU as I have a spare in the attic. Have just been running the system at stock the past wee while so at least it's not overclocking related.

Fingers crossed that I'll have an evening free of random black screens... :worried:

Edit: well it just happened literally 2 minutes after posting this. OMG.

Edit #2: going through the motions (again), I switched outputs on the graphics card. After about half an hour, same problem.

So everything points to the NEC being at fault: it's clearly not the drivers, nor is it the PSU, nor is it it the GPU.

Maybe I should just bite my tongue and try to get into the bloody thing.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2015
  17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So I bit the bullet and took it apart... mashed the bezel a little but no harm done. Bezel has to come off first, then the back cover comes off giving access to the power and control boards.

I can't see anything wrong with either board (at least not obviously) - no blown caps, no bad or dry solder, no obvious burn marks anywhere and no excessive flux. The build quality of this thing is incredible. I think the monitor may just be dying of old age (it'll be 8 years old in August) and there are so many things that could be wrong with it... busy piece of kit under the hood, fook me!

I made sure all connections were good and put it back together. As expected, within a few minutes of browsing the net, I'm hit with the black screen again. I think I need to plan ahead in case of the worst...oh well.

PSU:
    [​IMG]

Control:
    [​IMG]

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Can you be sure you aren't blinking?

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

the caps could be dried out without looking any different.

if you think it's on it's way out you have nothing to lose :D Replace all those caps on the top picture board, and maybe it will solve your problem :) if you replace like for like it's not going to make anything worse.

20. David

Is it just the light, or doe that voltage regulator look a bit scabby?

[​IMG]

Other than that, I can't see anything.