1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jolla Tablet campaign reopens with 64GB model

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Reading through this raised a question in my head and it is something that seems to be relevant to many tablets as well as smartphones... What exactly is it that limits support for various capacities of SD cards? Is it an actual physical hardware thing or software/firmware thing? Why aren't the largest available SD cards supported as standard and is there any way to update/upgrade a device that says it supports up to 32GB so that it supports up to 128GB instead?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There are various factors at play. Sometimes it's a firmware thing, sometimes it's a software thing, occasionally it's a hardware thing (SD controller versus SDHC/SDXC controller, for example), sometimes it's a licensing thing (64GB/128GB cards are typically factory-formatted into exFAT, which requires a license payment to Microsoft to bundle with your device. This is why Jolla warns that 128GB cards will work on the Jolla Tablet, but will be reformatted into something Windows can't read (likely ext2)). Sometimes it's just a testing thing: officially, my Xperia Tablet Z supports cards up to 32GB; I've got a 64GB card in there just fine.

I'm waiting for the day that 128GB micro-SDs drop to sensible price levels, then I can see how many of my devices support *those.* Would like to try it sooner rather than later, too: my Xperia tablet and Boox eReader both have 64GB cards in and are both 90-odd per cent full.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Often older devices will only have been officially tested with whatever capacity cards were available at the time, but may support larger capacities that have come about since (subject to the caveats in Gareth's post). I've got a few devices that only "officially" support 16GB microSD cards but are quite happily using 32GB cards without any faffing about. As another example, my phone officially supports a maximum of 32GB, but will read a 64GB card as long as it's been reformatted from exFAT to FAT32.

5. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Going to check these guys out!

6. SchizoFrog

Thanks for all that Gareth. I currently have a 16GB Micro SD card in each of my cameras (IXUS 500 and D700) and have also just received a new Lumia 735 which is stated to support up to 32GB and so I am waiting for the delivery of my new 32GB card.
    I wonder what the reason is behind the Lumia 735 'only' supporting 32GB as if it is only a licence thing it seems strange as MS is behind the device. If I get the opportunity I will try a 64GB card to see if it works... You never know until you try I guess.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

8. SchizoFrog

So it does... I think I spent too much time comparing it with the Moto G 4G which is limited to 32GB that I focused on the wrong detail. Either way I don't have £75 for a memory card. :)

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The Moto G 4G will happily take a card larger than 32GB as long as you reformat it to FAT32.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Tell me about it, I just purchased a Samsung GalaxyTab Pro and a 64GB card, thinking that would last me a while.

5 days later, it's 85% full with media :(

11. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Good thing for us that the Tab Pro's work with 128GB cards just fine...too darn expensive though.

12. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Thanks for that bit of info, as they are only officially listed as up to 64GB, never even thought to check if they could take 128GB.

I really love the little thing though, thought about going for the Super AMOLED TabS but didn't think they were worth another £120 TBH, certainly not for the use I bought the tablet for, really just a portable reading device (magazines,comics books etc).

13. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Ill be honest, I sold my gen2 Nexus 7 for my Tab Pro and I don't regret it at all, perfect size for me, very good performer once the ui is replaced with Google now, expandable storage and does everything I ask of it.
    Nice screen as-well considering its not an Amoled.