1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware USB 3.1 Preview Testing with MSI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 2 Feb 2015.

1. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Those power points are starting to become more common, some new houses here are being built with them as standard.

Installed a few myself last year
    Seems some phones don't detect the charging capabilities correctly though and charge slower than other wall warts.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Just a stupid question - are you sure you are plugging the drive all the way in ? The reason i am asking this is simple - USB3 pins are at the back of the connector :
    [​IMG]

So unless you push the flash drive all the way in, then you make contact only with the USB2 interface = you get USB2 speeds.

3. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

doesnt make sense#

20MB/sec of transfer-speeds - "of transfer speeds"?
    did you mean to use percentage rather than MB/sec?

and bear in mind any file reading/transfer will be limited by the slowest of the 2 devices/drives - so if you're copying something from an old HDD on a slow system (example) - it wont matter how quickly your USB3 device can write if the sender can only send 1MB per second

4. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

NO MORE POWERED USB HUBS!

Hurrah!

Usb soundcards?

Usb display adapters!

5. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

It sounds more like he hasn't installed the driver or used the wrong port (transfer speeds of 20megabytes sounds like it's still running in usb2). All my usb3 flash drives and hard drives work way above usb2 speeds as expected on my pc. :>

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Actually... that's a pretty good point. At least then you could divide all the 3.1 ports into 3.0 ports.

I understood the reason for USB powered speakers but you can do USB soundcards on USB 2.0. Albeit, not good ones, but if you really need an external sound source then you just need a better system. USB display adapters are also available on 2.0, but as mentioned earlier, powering and operating a monitor through USB would definitely be nice, except for the fact that CPU overhead would be awful.

On the note of external displays, I'm really surprised external GPUs haven't been a thing for USB 3.0. I'm sure you could get an R5 230 or a GT 730 could operate adequately through USB 3.0, with an external power source. Doing this could be a GREAT way for laptops to play games, or at the very least, add power to BOINC. If there were a USB 3.0 GPU, I would definitely buy one for BOINC or physx.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This isn't problem with USB 3.0 in general though. This is a problem with some part of your setup. Presumably either the drive, the board or drivers/software.

There are lots of independent reviews of that have your exact USB stick benched and 100MB/s+ on USB 3.0. Heck, even my dirt cheap external HDD hits 100MB/s+. Some USB drives barely get over 2.0 speeds on 3.0 (not yours) but that is a limitation of the drive, not the interface.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2015
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I still predict it'll take 2+ attempts to plug in the reversible type-c adapter... because USB connectors never fit first time... They just don't...

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

What all do we have hanging off the PCH now? Seems like DMI 3.0 best be at least twice as fast as 2.0 if SATA express, thunderbolt, USB 3.1 and a PCIe 4x lane are all fed off of it.

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well Thunderbolt 2 has 20gb. It's a shame external audio interfaces got stuck to usb 2.0. Even now new interfaces have only usb2.0. Except RME which costs about 2400 euros. Same for usb music instruments like midi keyboard etc.

You would expect since 2010 there would be some benefit of using usb 3.0 over usb 2.0 with the extra output power and all. But five years later and still not many devices utilize the usb 3.0. And now usb3.1 comes and I don't expect much improvement in peripherals using usb 3.1.

11. RedFlames

A lot of pro audio stuff still uses firewire, and there's some element of self-perpetuating unwillingness to change...

Pro audio interfaces still use FW as most ppl using them are on battered old Macs [occasionally PCs] with FW
    Those with the battered old Macs don't want to upgrade as the newer Macs don't have FW meaning they'd have to replace all their stuff with thunderbolt gear or buy a shitload of TB->FW adapters. So they persist with their battered old Mac.

and so it continues...

12. Juiblex

Juiblex What's a Dremel?

Im all for the increased speeds but will anyone be enforcing these new standards or some sort of minimum requirement to be considered 3.1? There are many devices out there, Corsair Survivor USB sticks, for example which do not even come close to performing to the 3.0 standard under the best of circumstances.

13. RedFlames

Technically it only has to surpass the theoretical maximum of the previous standard, a USB3 HDD won't come remotely close to the theoretical max speed of USB3, but it's considered USB3 by virtue of being faster or requiring more power than the maximum USB2 can manage...

I think most things labelled USB3.1 will either require the increased power 3.1 provides or use the reversible connector.

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm a bit confused about the connectors. Will motherboards have type A or type C connectors in the future? Is the type A required for higher power draw? I'm not sure I would want a USB drive with the type A as it just doesn't look as durable. Switching to type A connectors would lose backwards compatability with 2.0/3.0 devices.

15. RedFlames

I think you've got them confused, Type A is the current USB connector, Type C is the reversible connector... like so [C on top, A underneath]

[​IMG]

I think, for the moment at least, both connectors will be used, the the type C being favoured at the device end of the cable or when space is at a premium like on laptops/tablets... kinda like Displayport/Mini Displayport is at the moment... and being USB there'll almost certainly be adapters...

16. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm not confused. I understand that type C would be on devices like, e-readers, phones, tablets and ultrabooks. My question is if type C is intended to replace type A on motherboards. As in, will I need to replace my all my USB products as boards shift from type A to type C and I run out of type A ports. Will USB drives be using type A or type C?

17. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

This will get interesting when we have external storage that can actually read at speeds that need USB 3.1!

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if not getting more then 20mb/s thats obviously USB 2 speeds and even slower on USB 2 port so something up with your setup (very likely you have not installed the USB 3 drivers) there as USB3 does just work normally on all system i have used, reloading system 3 times is unlikely to be anything different

your probbery best going to support part of this site, is your system happen to be AMD based if so make sure CnQ is disabled i had seen an issue where system disk IO speed was very slow when the CPU was in idling (or the USB 3 device is not USB3 or its just rubbish)

Last edited: 12 Feb 2015
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Am I reading that wrong or is my bit-to-byte maths out? A 6Gbps SSD surely transfers faster than 64MB/s ( = 64*8 = 512Mb/s = 0.5Gbps)...??

Tags: Add Tags