1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft releases Office for Windows 10 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Ahadihunter1

Ahadihunter1 What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm not going to buy the damn thing until 4 months after. The bloody monstrosity of the early Windows 7 A.K.A Vista, was a nightmare.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

You do realise that this article isn't about Windows 10 right?

4. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Hey, don't get in the guy's way. He's totally allowed to complain about something entirely unrelated to the article that only happened 8 years ago. :thumb:

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Having used the Office 2016 preview 'Universal' apps -

They're a little simpler in layout than their 2013/desktop versions and missing some of their more advanced features, they're also missing some advertised features such as dropbox integration.

Like everything else in the TP they're functional but unfinished... and it remains to be see how functional they are once released should you not have a 365 sub.

Main quirk/gripe... Creating a document, saves the document... So if you, like me, use excel as a calculator of sorts you'll end up with a load of 'Book 1 (n)' cluttering up your documents folder

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Having not used Windows 8 at all I need to query something as with Office on 7, creating a doc doesn't save what you do to it (it asks to save on close) but it most definitely does create one, so if I was to use Excel as a calculator I too would have many Excel docs unless I reuse the same one each time.

Or am I misunderstanding your point?

7. RedFlames

What happens -

Create new doc - it saves 'Book 1' to the default save location [though you can rename the document whilst it's open and it'll rename the file]
    You work on document - It saves periodically in the BG
    Close Excel/Document - it saves the document.

There isn't actually a 'save' button/option in the apps as they stand atm only 'save as'... and it boldly proclaims 'no need to save, we'll do that for you'...

Also worth pointing out this is how it behaves when saving to onedrive [which is the default behaviour], it may behave differently when saving files locally...

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm wondering whether we're going back to the days of Office & Works - where the Office 10 "Universal Apps" is the equivalent of Works: a cut-down version that will allow basic creation, formatting and editing but nothing more complex; and Office 2016 which is the full-blown version of the Office Suite with all the extra bits that most people don't use anyway?

9. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

Anyone else having trouble with this bit:

"The touch-centric 'Universal Apps' will be joined by Office 2016, a fully-featured release of the productivity suite designed for traditional keyboard and mouse use and expected to launch in the second half of this year. Whether this means that Office for Windows 10 will be unavailable to non-touch devices is not yet clear"

Am I interpreting that in the right way - that it's not yet clear whether Office for Windows 10 will be available for traditional keyboard and mouse use? If that's the case then they're gonna annoy many a person.

10. RedFlames

The universal apps are geared towards touch as they're aimed at the phone/tablet side of things, but the layout is much the same as it is in 2013 and it works just as you'd expect it to with KB/M. The universal apps are [currently] missing some of the more advanced features though.

I think the confusion lies with will the 'Universal' versions be available to 'PC' users, or will they only be offered to Phone/Tablet users.

It's looking that way - or more specifically

Free - Basic Viewing/Editing
    365 - Access to more 'cloud' [more onedrive space/skype minutes as now], more bells and whistles and/or access to the droid/ios versions
    Full-blown Office - full blown pc-only office suite as it is now...

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The universal apps will, as the name suggests, be available to everybody: Windows Phone users, tablet users, kb&m PC users, and is designed to work well in all modalities.

Office 2016 is the with-bells-on desktop version for kb&m use.

12. RedFlames

EDIT - ignore... chrome spaz...

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Meh. I have a full Windows Office licence through work but much prefer to use WPS Office. I put Libre Office in 2nd place over Windows Office for price/cost.