1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Not enough, If they gave me a MX600 then I will use Meraki in every single post I make. :)

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

You should ask for more - I'm getting a MX60 from supplier before I leave here - and that's only as I saw you going on about them. That's YOUR sale! haha.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Seeing this latest tranche of posts makes me thing I really need to revamp my network. Meraki is so shiny, if possibly a little entirely unnecessary for my uses. Decisions.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  4. Votick

So I should of kept my mouth shut and I would of sold my Drayteks? xD

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

We've all got a cupboard full of drayteks buddy :D

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Ingram, Cloud Dist or Espion?

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Really? My cupboard is full of Linksys and TP-Link :/ There's probably at least one DrayTek in there, but it's definitely lost among lots of old Linksys and TP-Link kit!

Is anyone running Meraki switches yet? Saspro I'm looking at you ;) I'm wondering if they have a 24 port PoE that's reasonably quiet. I would love to upgrade the 24 port Dell turbine in the house to something quieter. I don't care about the one in the workshop because it's sitting above 2 servers that are louder than it, but the house would be a more peaceful place without it whining in the cupboard! Plus cloud management would be very handy. No need for a console cable!

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  8. Votick

It's on my to do list :)

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Mine too if they're quiet enough. They're bound to be though, the switches I'm running are old layer 2 data centre hardware so they're not exactly designed to be quiet, just bulletproof!

10. Votick

MX64 got released same day i got shipping conf.
    Sapro tells me they are slightly more expensive so not too annoyed.

Arrives today so excite :)

11. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Looking forward to getting my webinar done on Wednesday and then fingers crossed getting the AP and then playing with that,

Maybe one day can have a rack full of meraki gear esp as that MX64 looks very nice

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well the new house is almost finished got a call today saying 2 more weeks so hopefully beginning of march I can start getting the Network up. As soon as I have the date confirmed Saspro you might be getting a shout regarding that CCNA lab we spoke about before Xmas.

Also planning on what I want to do with the server/NAS I currently have.

how much grunt would i need to run most likely a windows 2012 server Using Hyper V to run a Webserver, an Owncloud server (not huge storage) Print server, Then not being virtual would be a PLEX server which would also double as the Media Storage for My house etc.

If I can use my current Proliant that would be great but I am not confident But also dont want to spend a huge fortune as it will mainly be a 24/7 plex server the web server and print will be always up the print server will be used from time to time, the web server will be for me to learn web admin and also to host a small personal website that's mainly used to practice web development.

The server will ideally help me learn alot more about things I don't know. Ideally I would want the Plex server accessible via a Mapped drive so I can still see the films and tv etc on there even if i use the PLEX app to watch everything, Print server would be as most are once you install the printer its done and you can print to it. owncloud would be as you would expect Mainly Document storage maybe the odd installer or photo but I dont see it going above 500gb.

The plexserver I would like remote access to so if im at my parents or w/e I can pull a film off onto a USB stick or similar.

So back to my question how much would i need kit wise to get all this running form one machine, Would my proliant be able to do this or will it need an entire new setup. And is it even possible to run all this on VM's like I am planning?

Oh and total storage would be approx 16tb raw and I would most likely use Raid so 12gb after the fact.

13. Votick

Plex wise it depends on the file format and client you will be using.
    Transcoding takes quite a lot of grunt.

As for watching plex remotely this is possible from anywhere aslong as plex is port-forwarded on your router. (I run a 22TB remote Plex server with clients connecting from all over the world)

I'd probably look at some form of Hex Core rig (Enough grunt to run your VM's with a bit spare for Lab)

Also backups, Any plans on how you will handle them?

14. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I was planing to look into a remote backup system for the bult of it. Curently I have a small ammount of data so I have a 2tb external that I use for backups but in time that wont be big enough for the media portion, everything except the movies and tv etc would still be locally backed up to that.

for local I would use raid 5 most likely to allow for some failsafe there, As I dont think I could easily get the ammount of extra local space to do a full local backup. As my current plans would be 4x4tb drives raid 5 would be an option I believe.

As for File format they would be mainly be AVI and X264 but I know the surround sound system I have and do stream content through some times is funny with file formats. So if I am not sin that transcoding should really be needed for most devices. It would be port forwarded so that watching plex on my phone and such would be a good thing.

and I shall look at hex-core rigs there. Im guessing it would work out cheaper to build one that buying one.

15. Votick

I have a spare X5670 if you can find a board to fit it in :)

16. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I might just do that Votick.

Although looking at cases and what not there are not a lot of rack cases that have 3.5" sata drive bays are are SCSI or smaller 2.5" bays which is annoying. As i think it would cost me alot to get large ammounts of space in SCSI/SAS.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2015
  17. Votick

Check out http://www.xcase.co.uk/ they are bound to do something that will tick your boxes :)

18. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Ta Votick.

how much would you want for the X5670 by the way? might have to look at how much an upgrade will be

19. Votick

Postage mate.
    I can't be sure if it works - last board it was in didn't post (the board had bent pins) my idiot brother decided to take it apart and put it back togeather.

So I'm 98% sure it works. - Plus I didn't pay anything for them anyway - saved form e-waste (If only I could of saved the other 18 -_-)

20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Send me a pm with paypal will take it for postage, will have to see if i can find a bit of kit to test it with.

Might have to try get some kit for my birthday Or just see if I can find a cheap server with just 1 X5670 in it might be nice having 2 plenty of room :p