1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Can you remember what your first bit of 'Tech' was?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 26 Feb 2015.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The first thing I remember having was a bbc micro. The noise it made loading games off a tape still haunt my dreams. After that we got an Amiga 500+, then a snes. Our first pc was a P60, overclocked to a P66. I can't remember how much ram it had, but I do remember it had a 60meg hardrive. Seemed like an awful lot at the time.

Non computing wise I had an awesome green tandy rc car. Had an awesome sound effect thing in it which made it sound like it had a petrol engine, despite being battery powered. My favourite bit of kit would be the last minidisk player I had.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Feb 2015
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

When my mum got a then like £2k Gateway in something like '95 and crashing it the entire time from constantly playing Lemmings.

After that would have been my GameBoy Colour I got in '98

3. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Ditto. I still have mine boxed in the loft with the gun attachment.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

[​IMG]

BBC Model B, with a tape drive.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

One of these

[​IMG]

I bought a ZX Spectrum 48K a few months later.

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

[​IMG]
    Still haven't completed RadRacer

then a few years later we got the Snes

but my favourite 'Tech' when i was a kid was my Gameboy Colour
    [​IMG]
    and i still have it, and it still works

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]
    Still haven't completed Alex Kidd in Miracle World :)

8. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Same here ...... Playing Granny's Garden .....................

Second bit of tech was probably this:
    [​IMG]

Followed shortly by this:
    [​IMG]

Oldest bit of tech I still own is probably a VCR player from 1997 or a two way signal booster from about the same time. The latter of which I actually started using again since the digital switchover :thumb:

Worst piece of tech I ever owned had to be this:
    [​IMG]

Anyone would have thought it was made by duracell the amount of batteries it chewed through.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2015
  9. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

The first piece of tech I remember we had in my family was a 386 pc, which my dad overclocked so it could run Windows 3.11. So many hours wasted playing Commander Keen 4, Super Oswald, Lemmings and some winter sports game, which I can't remember

Now my own first piece of tech was a very fancy Gameboy Pocket bought after 2 years of saving up money from birthdays and whatever I could make some extra money on, mind you I was like 7 at that time. I had it with Mario 1 and the blue Pokemon from the first series with only 150 pokemons and a red and blue edition.
    [​IMG]

My second piece of tech was a Playstation 1, also bought after an immense amount of saving, while wishing for it every christmas and birthday, chipping it so I could run those sweet, sweet pirated games. I still believe I have it somewhere, but I'm unsure if it's working

10. veato

veato I should be working

I had a Tandy RC when I was a kid. I think it was the 959 off road car but it had some problems so had to go back. The shop lost it (!!) so after some arguing replaced it with a Wild Horse monster truck thing. Or maybe it was the other way around.

http://rctoymemories.com/2014/09/07/tandy-radio-shack-wild-horse-1989/

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

12. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

[​IMG]

It was literally as good as it looks. (I don't think that's the exact same model, but it was very similar)

13. panda_uk

panda_uk What's a Dremel?

ZX spectrum 48k playing grannies garden and jet set willy. Load times seemed like a lifetime, I'd like to see the reactions of todays youngsters when confronted with loading a spectrum game.

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Did you wear a baseball cap backwards and carry it on your shoulders through town? :D

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I don't think I ever completed it either :)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

He still does :rock:

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I was born in '86. My first memory was when I was probably three or four. We had a DOS computer, or at least access to one in the house, and there was a Sesame Street video game on 5.25" floppy. I had watched my parents start the game a few times, so when they weren't around I snuck to the computer, inserted the floppy disc, and hunt-and-peck typed out the path to launch the game.

They caught me about a minute after I had launched the game. I had a pretty good scolding about how I could have really hurt something on the computer. My parents were really paranoid about that stuff for a long time. They used a boot disk long after it probably wasn't needed anymore.

Also, Flash animations. 1995 was the time my brother and I would load crappy animations or download midi albums of well known tunes. Xiao Xiao shorts and our favorite, animutations.

My favorite was Lesko's Revenge. It was just so funny and weird, and made by the now-famous Neil Cicierega. The only place that you can still watch it seems to be newgrounds, but my favorite website of the late 90s was albinoblacksheep. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/18794

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I definitely had one of them.

19. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Oh wow, I'd actually forgotten about the gun. Bleeding huge thing when the barrel was screwed on if I remember right (or maybe I was just so much smaller LOL)

20. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Philips P 3348
    I actually think it was an earlier model, but it's the closest pic I could find:
    [​IMG]

My parents bought it in the early nineties, came with Windows 3.0, DOS 4.01, 80 Mb HDD and no CD-ROM, but was later upgraded twice and ended up with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. I still have the manuals and original Microsoft floppies from the latest upgrade, but sadly gave the computer away. It'd be a nice case to for a retro mod project.