1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The GTX 980 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 31 Oct 2014.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Something is not right if Bloggins is not overclocking. I just did another run scoring 3750 with a higher overclock.

My native is 3840 x 2160, wonder if the scaling or Gsync has something to do with it. Minimum is very low, and framerate is jumping at all times.

2. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

My native is 3840 x 2160 too. Just got one of those 40" jobbies. It's great for gaming.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

With one card here.. I think not. I'll set a bar for single cards though in a minute.

[edit]

Single 980

[​IMG]

3DMark
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5965738

Pretty damned good I feel.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2015
  4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Nvidia are holding a event on 3rd March

http://www.nvidia.com/content/M2G/made-to-game.html

I wonder if the GTX980Ti will be announced or if it will be the new Titan card that has been rumoured.

For me personally if it's the 980Ti and it has more Vram than the 980 then I may finally have a card to upgrade to from, my 780Ti sli setup which is being made to work with me now having a 4K monitor.

5. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

5 years in the making? Unlikely to be the 980Ti surely?

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Is it only me that finds it hilarious that it's at the 'Nob Hill Masonic Center'?

Tee hee hee!

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

This makes my 980 purchase feel MUCH better.

Maxwell cards have designed VR aspects to them :)

Soild reason to upgrade from the 780ti then? :thumb:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-titan-vr-headset-gdc-2015-virtual-reality-reveal-made-to-game-event/

Back in September, Nvidia launched their latest line of ‘Maxwell’ GPUs, which the company said would include a range of VR-specific features to make games look and run better in virtual reality.

Baseline Latency: Our engineers worked to cut all aspects of the connection between the game and the GPU, significantly improving latency.

MFAA: Using a new technology called multi-frame sampled anti-aliasing, or MFAA, Maxwell can combine many AA sample positions, producing what appears to be a higher-quality image. And it does this without the performance hit caused by other anti-aliasing technologies.

Asynchronous Warp: This starts with the last scene rendered, and lets the GPU update it based on head position information. By warping the image later in the rendering pipeline, Maxwell cuts discontinuities between head movement and action on screen. And by doing it asynchronously, it avoids stalling the GPU, robbing it of performance.

SLI: We’re also tuning the way our GPUs work together when they’re paired to drive virtual reality experiences. In the past, our GPUs would alternate rendering frames when joined in SLI mode. For VR, we’re changing the way our GPUs work in SLI, with each GPU rendering one display.

DSR: With the displays in a VR headset resting close to the user’s eyes, higher resolution can improve the VR experience. Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) – which we’re introducing with Maxwell – helps us take the resolution from 1 megapixel per eye to 4 megapixels per eye.

GeForce Experience: Rather than asking users to tweak all these settings when using VR, we’re implementing them to run automatically with our GeForce Experience software.

Optimized Content: Few applications support VR headsets. So we’re bringing VR support to games that already work with NVIDIA 3D Vision.

Although Nvidia has been slow to get these features out the door, we expect to get an update during the company’s ‘VR Direct’ event.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Installed the demo version, ran it sat back and watched nice fire Jedi fights.
    At the end it crashed.
    This app is not getting installed again any time soon.

9. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

And now it is £509.99!!! :jawdrop:

Considering it was £439.99 just a few weeks ago.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The 970 is really in the dog house right now, so its only natural that the 980 price goes up.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No doubt if pressed etailers would say demand is outstripping supply hence the inevitable price hike, but being the cynic thst I suspect that they also see a chance of increasing profits Because of buyers reluctance to purchase the 970.

Have the 970's come down in price correspondingly? I doubt it.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The one I bought is still the same price at scan. In fact they all seem to be.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It may just be the NVTTM cooler getting scarce. OEMs have much better margins on their own cheaper coolers, and OCUK probably ordered a big batch of stock 980s and are raising the price as they run out of them. It's hard to find the NVTTM from any big manufacturer apart from upper-range cards (e.g. EVGA's SSC variant at £515) that aren't sold out.

Still sucks if you didn't buy one at the original price though.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but what is NVTTM?

15. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The letters stand for Nvidia Titanium Metal, it's the metal stock cooler design that came from the Titan graphics cards.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Yeah - that's the one

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks George now I better understand edzieba's post.

19. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Gainward GTX 980 Phantom ordered from Scan, £359.98 delivered.

Now that's more like it.

Will be here Monday along with an Enermax LiqMax II 120.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Nice price, would not have suited my setup though.