1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows RocketRAID 2680gsl Web Management issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by dullonien, 1 Mar 2015.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I've been trying to add an 8th drive to my RAID5 array connected to my HighPoint RocketRAID 2680sgl controller, however my array isn't being detected through the Web Management software. The array, and all drives are detected in the Bios utility on start-up, and I can see and access it in Windows, but this is what I see after logging into the Web Management software:

[​IMG]

This is what shows in Disk Management, with Media (D : ) being the RAID5 array, and New Volume (E: ) the new 1.5TB drive ready to be addad to the RAID5 array:

[​IMG]

I'm running Windows 8.1, and have installed the latest driver for the controller, and using the latest version of the Web Management software from the HighPoint website. I've also tried using the command prompt option, but querying the controller returns no info:

[​IMG]

I've been able to manage my array in the past using the Web Management software, but that was when I was running windows 7. Windows 8 is listed as being compatible on the HighPoint website, and I've tried running the software in compatibility mode. Anyone got any ideas as to why it's not working now, or anyone had any similar issues?

Cheers.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2015
  2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Check that software, drivers and firmware again. I think you are not on the latest Highpoint web management software is likely the issue, your screenshot suggests ver. 2.5.2, actual latest is ver. 2.5.2.4, so download it , install and try the webgui again:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/cs-series_rr2600_download.htm

Maybe look in Device Manager and see if there are any identified devices, or if the Highpoint controller appears int he storage selection, check the driver versions againt the same download page above.

If this does not help it is funny this should come up, I recently retired my RocketRaid 2680 SGL, it started to have some bad reliability issues after adding a 5th disk into a raid 5 array. Some forum chatter suggested that it may not be able to cope with very large arrays made from high capacity disks. I had coaxed it back to reliability a year or two ago but this time I upgraded it. Maybe contact highpoint support and get advise, they have responded to me within 24 hours in the past.

3. dullonien

Sorry for the slow reply, been busy lately. Turned out the solution was to revert to an older version of the web gui.

What issues did you have with your controller may I ask. I've started having problems myself. One of my drives started clicking, then another, and another. Finally, on a couple of occasions all drives have disappeared. Unplugging the cables from the card, and restarting get's things back working. I tested the first hdd that started clicking in another pc, and the clicking went and it passed all seatools tests. Not sure what's up, PSU, Raid card, HDD's, motherboard? I've got some testing ahead of me I think.

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

late reply right back atcha.

Glad you kind of got it sorted. I can list the issues that have occured while I was using the card:

Just over a year ago a four disk 12tb array failed, a single 3TB seagate barracuda in the array would fail consistently. This would cause the array to be disconnected, it would reappear on reboot but fail again. The array was rebuilt and the same issue occurred. The issue was resolved by replacing the suspect disk.

I had clicking on the drive that replaced it, a 3TB 7200rpm consumer toshiba. It was by far the cheapest 3tb drive available at the time, I noted it was rated to spin much faster than my other drives in the array. It started clicking a few weeks in, I think it would cause the array to disconnect, and suffered catastrophic failure within a month, the disk was lost and unusable. This was replaced with a WD Red NAS grade disk, the array worked reliably until recently.

I upgraded my server hardware and threw in a 5th disk to make a 15tb array using the manager's OCE option. I am not 100% what caused the final issue (which was nonetheless resolved by replacing the 2680 sgl with a fujitsu/LSI raid card). At this point the array reliability fell off a cliff, all or apparently random disks would fail intermittently causing the array to fail. Rebuilding the array did not resolve this issue either. In this case I have not heard any clicking, but my server is tucked away now. The same disks are used with the new card and all seem fine and I now have a very reliable array

Last edited: 18 Mar 2015
  5. dullonien

Sounds remarkably similar to the issues I'm having atm then.

Did the SATA cables get replaced with your new card, as I'm thinking that they could possibly be the culprit after switching cases?