1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

The Mrs had something similar happen (advertised as new, sent a clearly used product) and I think the seller gave us half our money back right away without getting ebay/paypal involved.

Also, if that ISN'T yoghurt, I'd recommend the cleansing power of fire :D.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

10 sheets(8'x4') of 3mm MDF,
    5 sheets(8'x4') of 6mm MDF,
    10 sheets(8'x4') of 4mm Plywood.

Stocking up for when the laser arrives.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know I've only just bought a multitool, but I couldn't resist after the surprise delivery of a £29 Amazon gift voucher...

[​IMG]

Spyderco Clipitool. Looks meaty, but is actually *tiny* - that's a 2" main blade. It's going to be my carry for when I'm out walking with the family: straight edge blade for food prep and the like, serrated blade for cutting up small deadwood branches for a fire or quickly slicing through rope. My first Spyderco, and having heard good things from friends I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and the 2" blades and non-locking slipjoint mechanism mean it's S.139 exempt, too, which is a nice bonus.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

One of these :D

[​IMG]

Not this actual one but it looks the same :) Seat Leon 1.2TSI 110 SE with Technology Pack and Convenience Pack in Apollo Blue.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

[​IMG]

Not purchased this specifically - as the Sophos UTM OS is free for home use - but all the underlying hardware has been slowly accumulated, and just finished off with a dual-port gigabit Intel ethernet controller making it fit for purpose.

I'm now using this machine to replace my ageing BT Homehub 3. As I am on true FTTH, there has been no off-the-shelf/commercial router that can handle Infinity Option 4 (330/30), with the silly PPPOE method BT insist on, without dropping downstream speeds to low 200Mbits because the CPUs were maxing out (Homehubs have dedicated/offloaded PPPOE processing). I did try a dedi pfsense machine before, but configuration and maintenance was a biznitch and was long since abandoned.

Now that there is a more than adequate i5 2500k CPU handling traffic (thanks Bodkin) alongside 4GB of RAM, and a small cheap SSD at the heart of my home network; I have routing, a proper HW firewall, IPS, AV, Web filtering with a transparent proxy running and all other kinds of goodness at my fingertips. All at a total purchase cost almost £100 less than a leading/premium home router with half the capability.

Sophos UTM has been a pleasure to setup and seems very easy to maintain, it has also had the added bonus of unlocking my 30mbit upload to 60mbit :jawdrop: I couldn't ask for more!*

*Except an increase to downstream speeds too kthx

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3 DVD
    Geeks guide to dating, probably rubbish but I was amused by the idea of 8-bit pictures and dating

8. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

We've recently swapped to Sophos at work. Works so well.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Now the waiting commences...

[​IMG]

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Congrats, that looks like a wonderful little knife. Welcome to the Spydie club. Be careful though, it's addictive!

Congratulations and health to enjoy. I really like the latest model of Leon, in fact I'm looking at the possibility of buying one of the three door models later this year as a weekend runaround :)

Due to the extremely annoying problem with my X230's hotspot as well as issues with the connection timing out every 10 minutes and not being able to find a solution for either, I've had to invest in a mobile hotspot. This is less than ideal. As I said in that thread, it's one more thing for me to carry around and charge every day, not to mention another £100 on top of the £50 the Ericsson card in my laptop cost.

It also times out the connection after a maximum of 120 minutes, which I know will get annoying really fast, but I've put up with the problem for over a year and cannot let it hold me back any more. I couldn't decide which model of hotspot to buy for a long time but settled on the Huawei E5377s 4G LTE model which has received good reviews on Amazon. If it isn’t up to the task I’ll send it back and try a different one, but at just shy of £100 I’m hoping it is.

[​IMG]

I’ve also bought a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive and a neoprene case to keep it in. My main use for this is to backup the contents of the SD cards from my cameras on the go. My two 500GB IcyBox enclosed WD Black drives filled up in no time whilst I was shooting video and large time lapses last year, so this doubles the portable storage in my camera bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Mar 2015
  11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've just had the call to say it's arrived and they're preparing it so I should be able to pick it up at the start of next week :) The dealer matched the price that drivethedeal offered and that, combined with the fact that SEAT are currently offering a £1000 deposit contribution and 3 years servicing for £99 if you take their finance, meant that I got it for a shade under £15k when the list price is £19,200 :D Nothing quite like a 22% discount :thumb:

12. Unicorn

That's an impressive discount! To be honest I'm still more drawn to the Scirocco, which as well as the 'Four is actually what I've been saving for lately, car wise. It's pretty much a toss up between a 3dr Leon and a Scirocco at the moment, but I have plenty of time to think about it. Having said that, my brother has just rocked up in his brand new Volvo S60 R Design D4, which would tempt me to buy a big saloon!

Last edited: 19 Mar 2015
  13. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Picked up one of these for £70, to give in place of the Iphone 4S which they disliked.

[​IMG]

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No fear about addiction - I've no spare money to spend on more knives! (Sadly, the Clipitool won't be here until Tuesday - apparently it's coming all the way from Amazon's warehouse in the Rhineland.)
    I still use a Nexus 4. It's a nice little phone, although it has its quirks. The biggest is that LG screwed up the design: the Nexus 4 was supposed to have (and was advertised as having) USB-OTG support, but LG forgot to route the +5V rail so it doesn't work (and was removed from the spec sheet when Google found out about the problem.) It also has a tendency to crash hard if you use the flash on the camera. Other than that, it's a nice little workhorse - and I've no plans to replace it any time soon.

15. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

3 day tickets acquired for EGX that thanks to Virgin Media only cost £26.25 :)

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Cities: Skylines
    £20 worth of Itsu
    4 bottle of Spitfire.

What ho Friday night in gaming!

17. Unicorn

Neither had I on certain occasions, unfortunately it usually didn't stop me :worried:

I have stopped "collecting" knives and lights now though, these days I only ever buy tools and gear that I'm actually going to carry and use.

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

[​IMG]

Picked this up on the way home from work from the Collect+ store.
    ^_^ Looking forward to getting stuck into some Elite over the weekend.

19. Gareth Halfacree

The Spyderco Clipitool actually arrived today, ahead of schedule. So far, very impressed: it was pretty sharp out of the box, and took no more than a couple of swipes across my Gatco ceramic sharpener to get a push-cut edge. The slipjoint is strong at both open and close, and between that and the finger choil I'm not scared it'll bite me. The serrated blade catches on the body when closed, though, which has already dented the blunted tip - a purely cosmetic issue, thankfully. Speaking of, I'm a bit disappointed to find a couple of spots of surface rust around the Spyder hole on the main blade - they'll come off with a bit of polishing, but you don't expect that from a brand-new knife, even one in Chinese 8Cr13MoV. Oh, and while it's small it's thick (thanks to the two blades) and weighty (thanks to the steel scales) but I was expecting that. Overall, pleased - and I'm off on a picnic tomorrow, which should prove a good test for it!

20. Unicorn

My Squeak (N690Co) develops surface rust spots really easily when it comes into contact with corrosive elements like salt water or cleaning chemicals. I keep the blade well polished with Auto Glym metal polish and lightly coated with a cheap carnauba car wax to prevent it.