1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100+ days sober

Discussion in 'Serious' started by maestro0428, 14 Jun 2012.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Yes being the driver sucks lol, but feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed is great the next day! Also you get to talk VERY VERY loudly to your mates, it pisses them right off and is highly amusing.

I haven't had a 'proper' drink since my friends wedding back in Feb 2011, that was after a 3 year hiatus!

I would say I've had 3 beers since then and that's only 330ml bottles of Corona or some sorts.

Well done on your achievement! Do you like the fact when people ask you what you drink you say "I don't drink" they look at you in a very strange why and say "What not at all?!?!"

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've stayed out of this thread because I didn't have anything constructive to add, but it seems to have run it's course and I feel the need to vent.

Congratulations on staying sober for three years now. That's an accomplishment and I don't want to take anything away from it.

I just get frustrated with the unspoken corollary that I'm somehow better off for having never started. No, I've never been drunk in my life, probably never will be. Am I better off for it? ****no I'm not. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs. you know what else i don't do?

Enjoy life.

Have friends.

Do anything worthwhile.

Instead I just go to work to make money to spend on staying alive and that's about it.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

There's a happy medium Cthippo, I've been both sides of it and now sit comfortably in the "safe-zone".

The symptoms of not doing anything risky may well include some or all of your list, but I can assure you that going too far down the rabbit hole can have equally bad (or worse) repercussions.

I can safely say that you need to take stock and perhaps use some of your newly found alone time to investigate some of the avenues you might be curious about, it's the only way to live life imho.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah but assuming you aren't totally and utterly restricted, those facts are still largely a choice aren't they? Instead of stating that outright and implying that's the way it is...you could do something to alter those truths that you're evidently unhappy with.

Fact is, as long as you have the capability (which 999 times out of 1000 everyone does have the capability in some way to make a choice to change things), the onus is on you to do something about it.

(I have just seen your other post in WIRYLRN so I appreciate you are hurting right now but the best revenge is to live well - the above concatenates that perfectly).

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Life is relative. The good times need some bad times to make them feel good in the first place, and vice versa (classic film btw).

Friends schmends. Most people's friends portfolio thins out as they get older. I have very few indeed, most just don't make my standard to justify my effort. I enjoy being a dick.

Worthwhile. Define worthwhile. Once you're in a box/smoke & ashes, everything loses its value pretty quickly. 'Worthwhile' is a socially-constructed concept based mostly on fear, avoiding the reality of life. Just go with the laughs where you can find them. Try not to over-analyse or take anything too seriously. Life can be easy or hard, and it entirely depends on how you look at it.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'm 21 and can count all the friends I trust and hang with on one hand.

And that's not from me being a dick lol.

7. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I'm the same, very few friends in general. I've changed a lot since the age of 21! My 'friends list' has changed some what since then, friends that I thought I would know till the day I die, due to different reasons, mine and there's just seem to disappear and fade away. A shame but the truth :(

8. Shirty

I have one friend, and he's attached to my body. Seriously though, I don't keep friends irl. I'm a loner and always have been. I'm not antisocial and I enjoy a gathering, but I'm only close to my immediate family.

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

If Shirty wasn't such a dick I get the feeling we'd have the occasional laugh.
    Man tho, what a dick.

10. Shirty

So damn true.

11. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'm exactly the same, I enjoy the social gatherings but I don't mind sitting in my pants in the living room gaming on my PC.

12. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Ah, my Bit-tech associates.

The high esteem of social etiquette.

Don't get my wrong, I find most of the general public dull, with their dull lives and irrelevant first world problems.

One just humours them with a smile and conversation every now and then. It's always good to play with the sheep; You never know when you'll be needing them ;)

13. Shirty

I didn't realise you were a Welshman Steve :baby:

14. Scroome

Scroome Modder

You know me by now.

I'm not too fussy.........*

*Apologies for derailing a perfectly serious thread

15. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

Since having a girlfriend my friends have decreased.

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

So true - my social circle(s) have withered away to just a couple of people these days. I can't say it bothers me much but it makes it hard to meet new people, so is a bit of a vicious cycle.

I do sometimes wonder how many people will come to my funeral and then remember that I actually couldn't really care.

17. Scroome

Scroome Modder

If it's your funeral, why would you even care who's there? ;)

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Indeed. :thumb:

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I would say that they'll hold my funeral in a phone booth, but good luck finding one of those anymore. Maybe an outhouse...

Tags: