1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam 7 Days to Die

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Margo Baggins, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

All good, I've PM'd you the password.

Our server runs at normal difficulty. The start is usually pretty challenging, but once you get established its ok.....until the inevitable day 7 horde!

I think it'd be really good to have some other groups running around...... just not randoms. Last time I forgot to put a password on the server we came back to find someone had planted a load of trees inside the base.

Would you mind if I put the server details in your first post on the thread? It would help with visibility for any newbies joining us.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Do it, edit away moderator man

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

can't seem to join, maybe my client is borked? But I just downloaded... -_-

4. Parge

I'll try in a minute mate. Have just restarted it - maybe that will help.

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I might join in this at some point, missed out on DayZ so wouldn't mind a play this one as it looks pretty good. Just got it and had half an hour - I'm such a game noob these days lol, I'm reading up a bit of a beginners guide to start me off :)

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

7. Margo Baggins

It's quite a steep learning curve, and I guess it's all about to change a bit with alpha 11, but it's definitely a lot of fun!

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I bought this in the very early stages (peer pressure) where is the game at now?

9. Parge

Alpha 11 has arrived! Updating now!

Come jump on the Bit Tech Server when I'm done though!

Name: The Bit Tech Server
    IP: 81.19.209.30
    Port: 25010

PM me for the password.

EDIT: Servers are a bit unstable at the mo, maybe tomoz night is better.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2015
  10. Parge

Server now up, running and stable!

The snowy parts are terrific in the fog!

11. Parge

Online tonight btw!

12. Margo Baggins

So how does everyone find it post update?

I actually find the new game easier. Almost way easier.

On day 1 my group of 6 found a bunch of forge on books, loads of blue tools, some purple tools, and then we blitzed it. Had a SIGNIFICANT base after 4 days, and now it's 20 days in an we are working on complex underground tunnel systems.

I think I hate the navezgane map. I used to only play random gen, I played navezgane map for the last 3 or 4 restarts we've done and it's just rubbish. It's not very big, random gen features are way better now, and random gen maps feel way bigger.

BUT with all that said and done I really like the update :) I think it balanced the game a lot better, physics feel a bit more realistic - no more hitting a reinforced concrete block 50 - 60 times to get it to break is awesome.

Making augers though made things a bit easy. The first time I ever found an auger on alpha 10 was after weeks and weeks, it was like christmas finding a power tool - now it can be made, once again we had heaps within the first few days, enough to have more than 1 each.

I spent hours the other night building this building that kind of was defying the laws of physics, it was way narrower on the bottom and sort of went outwards as it went up, and it was working for ages, I think, sick, I've made a nice little tower, it looked great, and I thought, I will make it go higher, so I did, and it still stood, and then I thought - ahh, it needs 1 more block right up there - so I climbed up, I put on the last block, and then the whole thing fell down haha, waste of about 100 reinforced concrete blocks :D

13. Parge

Interesting!

I’ve found the new game a lot harder to start out, but easier once you are set up. This was caused partly by me trying to build a base too early (using the stone axe to fell trees, which is now rubbish) instead of commandeering an existing structure.

In 10, by day 3, where we are now, I’d normally have a fairly good base setup on a hill etc – however we’re now only at the stage where we can actually look at doing that. I’ve got a ‘Fine’ axe which fells trees in one or two chops, so it’s just a question of finding a site and building a load of boxes now.

The graphics are massively improved – which was sorely needed, and quite often it can look genuinely pretty. The fog in the night time is a great effect too. Crafting wise, the new system is much better. Taking apart guns to mix and match the parts is a very nice idea. I’ve got a ‘Fine’ rifle that is a one shot kill for pretty much everything, even if the reload is incredibly slow. The gunshot sound is extremely satisfying too. Ka-BOOM!

The only thing I’m really struggling with is my ‘wellness’ – which is really low after a lot of deaths at the start. Venison stew apparently improves it but I can’t find any potatoes. Hard times.

14. Margo Baggins

The fogs and trees are wonderful, they really are, I mean, I upgraded graphics card between 10 and 11 but I think it's more to do with the engine than just that.

I think we just been REALLY lucky - on day 1 we all found decent iron tools (blue or purple), either a pickaxe or an axe - we also found a single potato and the corn fields in the north east are always only a run away. I found a purple spiked club which just bursts zombies.

To be honest with food - we just eat vegatable stew, we live in the dessert but we have planted a fertile ground farm so we just grow potatoes, goldenroot, corn, there was a water tower that we burst to give us a little pond (and kind of waterfall as the water doesn't really work yet).

We all have magnums now haha, my friends is purple and does 89 damage :eek: mine is blue and does 50, but they both one shot most things. I also found a nifty kevlar helmet that is real nice helmet. I am looking forward to there one day being more armour and clothing - and hopefully a bigger back pack, there is a spot for one on the character screen but as far as I know nothing to put in it.

Antibiotics make wellness just continually go up for 24 hours, not that fast, but quite slow. first few days my wellness always takes a battering down to 50, then it takes about a week to get it up again, it's a real pain. Anything boiled, bacon and eggs - those are all the main ones that bring it up, but antibiotics bring it up the most over time.

My legs still break every few minutes. I don't know why but when I was a kid I picked up this habbit where I just jump when I'm running around in games, I think it's becuase of oblivion, where you got better at jumping if you jumped alot, so Iwould just always be jumping when I go about the place - on 7 days, that means the legs break ALL the time due to that leg breaking bug.

15. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Any of you guys still playing this?

Up to A13.8 with a release of A14 due soon(hopefully).

Anyone tried it with Valmod added to the base game. It adds a new depth to the game where looting is more critical than base building for progression.

I noticed the server is no longer registered(being a year old post!!!)

Your welcome to try my server if you want to get back into it...

Will post some details if anyone is interested...

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It's been a while for me, maybe version 9-10 was the last time I played but I had good fun in co-op with some friends. I didn't find it that re-playable though, as it was too easy to make a fortress and enough ammo to last a life time with no real risk beyond that point.

It's a shame it's only the mod, not the base game that encourages the risk/reward of salvage against the necessity to survive.

I do think it is probably one of the better survival crafting games out there, given how flooded that genre now is with junk! I recommend Subnautica and the Forest as other quality alternatives.

Back on topic to 7 days, I think I will give it another 6 months and then go back to be, will hopefully see a big leap by then. I hope the devs add additional options to make the game more about looting to survive!

ThirtyQuidKid likes this.
  17. Parge

I'm waiting for A14 - I'll have a new server up and running as soon as it drops!

18. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Good to know. Any mods or just the basic game??

19. Parge

Just the basic game, but only because I've not really explored the mods for it. Any particular recommendations?

20. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Well I'm a big fan of the valmod add-on. It locks down a lot of the basic game books to start (i.e you need to read the carpentry book before you can make a wood frame, or read the junk salvage book before you can scrap items etc.). It also adds a class system so you can choose a specific "trait" for you character that will unlock a couple of useful books, weapons and basic clothing. Adds a lot of extra books and schematics to allow crafting of extra modded weapons and ammunition.

It also adds a few new zombie types to the game....

More info Here

I would also have a look at Magoli's compo pack to add a lot of new prefab structures to the random gen maps. It adds a lot of new houses, factories and POI's and a lot of hidden loot areas and sewer/train tunnels in the cities.

More info Here

Those two would be my choice

The files are just drag and drop onto the server and a couple of new icon files for the clients then a quick restart and away you go....

They will only work on A13.8 so will have to wait a while before they will work on A14 due to the block renaming in the new version